Anakin as Qui-Gon's padawan
Would Anakin still fall to the dark side had Qui-Gon lived and been Anakin's teacher and master as opposed to Obi-Wan? Qui-Gon seemed to go more on feeling and gut instinct as opposed to the simple black and white answers. He wasn't as rigid. Plus Anakin did seem to respect him at first now whether that would have changed as he went thru the teenage years well we would never know.

I'm curious for your opinions.
I can imagine quite a bit.
I thought that the only reason Anakin turned to the darkside is that his mother was killed and he wanted the power to save Padm'e.
(Not to mention Padm'e's "betrayal")
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb:wicked:.
Gollum wannabe Wrote:I thought that the only reason Anakin turned to the darkside is that his mother was killed and he wanted the power to save Padm'e.
(Not to mention Padm'e's "betrayal")

There was a nice discussion we had some time back regarding who was at fault which you might enjoy reading. I want to say that I changed my mind during the discussion from believing that Obi-wan was completely blameless, to actually faulting him for "his lack of vision" in regards to Anakin.

If I didn't then, I have now. Among the other forces at work to turn Anakin, Obi-wan failed in his primary duty to his padawan: protecting him from turning to the Dark Side. It was not conscious, but that doesn't absolve him from taking some of the fault. Anakin was not emotionally capable of handling the responsibilities of being a Jedi, and Obi-wan did not take enough precautions to prevent his eventual turning.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Okay.So Anakin was unstable and Obi-wan did nothing about it.
So he was partialy to blame?
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb:wicked:.
I'm not interested in fault as much as would Qui-Gon handled Anakin's training and mentoring different than Obi-Wan.
Han Solo Wrote:I'm not interested in fault as much as would Qui-Gon handled Anakin's training and mentoring different than Obi-Wan.

My first response is that of course it would be different. I say this because they were two different individuals, and so their teaching styles, no matter how closely linked, would have been different. That doesn't mean it would yeild a different result, either favorable or unfavorable. Just that it would have taken a different route.

It's interesting to me that Obi-wan, post Qui-gon's death, rarely if ever refers to his old master's training when dealing with Anakin. Obi-wan, we know, was somewhat in favor of Qui-gon yeilding a little more to the Council. That may have colored Obi-wan's concept of how to act as a master and how to deal with the Council.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:My first response is that of course it would be different. I say this because they were two different individuals, and so their teaching styles, no matter how closely linked, would have been different. That doesn't mean it would yeild a different result, either favorable or unfavorable. Just that it would have taken a different route.

It's interesting to me that Obi-wan, post Qui-gon's death, rarely if ever refers to his old master's training when dealing with Anakin. Obi-wan, we know, was somewhat in favor of Qui-gon yeilding a little more to the Council. That may have colored Obi-wan's concept of how to act as a master and how to deal with the Council.

Yep, seeing as how Qui-Gon didn't always follow orders and didn't always do it by the book, definetly influenced him in his teachings to Anakin and I'm guessing that was Lucas' point.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anakin: Friend or foe? Galafre 3 868 January 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Saber
  Anakin Clone Dedpool 12 979 April 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Why Did Obi-1 Let Anakin Live? Darth Meela 40 5,020 April 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Saber
  Who is Anakin's father? Alvin Eriol 79 9,072 February 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Anakin's Motives... (spoilers) Gwaihir the Windlord 25 2,741 February 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Gundar Jin
  Was it a mistake to replace old Anakin with the young? Darth Bore 12 1,314 February 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Darth Chloron
  Why do you think Anakin Turned to the Dark side? (Possible spoiler) Eternally86 27 2,064 December 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Darth Bore
  Anakin clone sith lord 11 930 November 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Pechark
  What happened to Anakin´s ship? Ladyjedi 2 617 November 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Han Solo
  What is Anakin doing in the Cantina? EpII Ladyjedi 6 829 September 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Last Post: patomon5