Currently reading?
Kind of 3 questions rolled into one thread here....

1. What book are you reading at the moment?

2. What other books are you intending to read or ones you have already but have not got around to reading yet?

3. How do you choose the books on your reading lists?

My answers:

1. Re-reading Raymond E Feist's, Empire Trilogy for the 4th or 5th time..

2. For once my list is very short; Philip Pullman's The Dark Materials
Trilogy.

3. I usually listen to friends recommendations or recommendations of
people who have liked similar books to me. Have not been let down
so far.
I am currently binging on H.P.Lovecraft: 'The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories', the annotated Penguin edition. Love HPL and re-read him often.

I've just finished Bradbury's 'Graveyard For Lunatics' and plan on starting his 'Death is a Lonely Business'.
Also just finished Orson Scott Card's 'The Prophet' and have his 'Enchantment' waiting.

Waiting in the wings to be read also are L. Neil Smith's 'Forge of the Elders'. (Thoroughly enjoyed his 'Henry Martyn'. Robert Holdstark's 'Ancient Echoes" and a whole pile of 'Titus Crow' books by Brian Lumley.

And sometime soon I want to get back to the biography of Walker Evans I started last year. He was a great photographer, but he doesn't seem to have led a particularly interesting life.

My choice of reading material is pretty much based on what I can find on the remaindered tables and in the used book stores I frequent.
1. "Voyage" by Stephen Baxter.

2. "The Risen Empire" by Scott Westerfeld, "Tigana" by Guy Gavriel Kay, and "Angelmass" by Timothy Zahn.

3. My answer is pretty much the same Will O's. Though there have been a few that I have accidently come across myself in bookstores.
*** THIS SPACE CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION ***
Currently - "Tales from Earthsea".

Looking for - "Lords and Ladies".
If you can't find a copy let me know. I might be able to help. I think I have a copy in Hardback.

I have read alot of Pratchett and enjoyed a lot of them.
With magic all things are possible
I'm currently reading L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s Recluse series. I'm on The Death of Chaos, and will probably keep reading until I'm through with the series. I've been reading one book in the series every week or two.

I have a huge spreadsheet of books I've read and books I want to read. Like I've said in other threads, I'm a total book junkie. I'd rather read than watch tv or movies.

A lot of the books on my list come from authors that I've enjoyed. If I've enjoyed an author's, work and that author recommends other authors, I usually at least try out the recommendations.

I don't get many book suggestions from friends. Not many of my friends like the same type of books I like.

For a while I was reading some books from Oprah's book club. I liked a lot of them, but they were such depressing stories. I stopped reading those about a year ago.
Bootstrap's Bootstraps.
Quote:Originally posted by Eiley
For a while I was reading some books from Oprah's book club. I liked a lot of them, but they were such depressing stories. I stopped reading those about a year ago.

I can't tell you how much I agree with what you said about the Oprah Book Club in it's previous incarnation. My cutting point was after finishing House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubois III. I can't tell you how depressing I found the story to be. I know there was this whole meaning and whatever but the depression was overwhelming. You build up to care about these characters and then then ending is unbearably sad. I enjoy a book that brings you in, makes you a part of the story, engulfing you in the ups and downs but I don't like finishing a book and feeling like there is no hope. That's how that book left me. There is no reason to bring things to yourself to remove all hope.

Oh, I'll just let go now before I get on a good rant. . . .
1. What book are you reading at the moment?

The Moon's Shadow by Catherine Asaro.

2. What other books are you intending to read or ones you have already but have not got around to reading yet?

I was reading Dreamfall by Joan D. Vinge, but then the new Asaro book came in the mail the other day. I'll get back to it as soon as I'm done with the other book. After that, I'd like to read some more of Sharon Shinn's books and The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold.

3. How do you choose the books on your reading lists?

I get suggestions from message boards and mailing lists, plus I pick up a lot of used books that look like they might appeal to me.
I heard they were going to make Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy into a movie - so you better get reading , Will! :bg:
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Quote:Originally posted by Stargazer Lily
I heard they were going to make Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy into a movie - so you better get reading , Will! :bg:

I didn't know that, but I've had the books sitting there for about 7/8 months now and I have resisted all urges I've had to buy any more books until my collection of unread books substancially decreased. I never planned any particular order of reading but the way it turned out they are last, I just have the last Belgariad (Eddings) book to aquire and read then I will get into them next.:bg:
I switch between the FF I can find on the net for Buffy, Farscape, Herk,Xwp. However I have all of the Ray Feist books and even have bought the pc games based on Krondor.
1. I just finished Sideshow by Sheri S Tepper, and Welcome to the Monkey House, by Kurt Vonnegut. I literally just finished these in the last 24 hours, so I haven't pulled anything else of the bookshelves. Thinking about grabbing Dune though. . .

2. I'm apparently in my Sheri S Tepper and Kurt Vonnegut stage, so I'd like to get some more of their books. I just saw this nifty book on the Barnes & Noble website, called Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. I also want to re-read the Dune series, since I saw that mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel, I want to catch all the things Herbert wrote, but that they skipped in the movie.

3. I definatly take my friends advice! Also, I love used bookstores. I look for old, worn books. They tend to be good luck.Wink
I'm reading Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson. I started it because it was the book on top of my pile of "to read" books when I was rushing out the door on my way to the hospital with my wife. (new baby :dummy: )

The pile grows quickly. Typical selection comes from favorite authors, customer comments, and references from places like this.

I'll probaby read something by Stephen Dedman next.
Neil Clarke, Clarkesworld Books
Congratulations Neil!

Ah, "The Chronoliths". Great concept ........ that doesn't get pulled off. I think Mr. Wilson though is a pretty good storyteller. Just needs to work on completing his ideas.

I have moved on to "Tigana". Probably going to read "Factoring Humanity" by Robert J. Sawyer next.

BTW, "Voyage" was really good.
Thanks!

I really like Wilson's style, but this one is written differently. I thought the idea behind it was great... So far I like it, but I'm only half-way through. Hope this isn't as described.

Factoring Humanity was the first Robert Sawyer book I read. I've since read everything else with the exception of his last two. Another interesting concept and I found it well executed if a little far-fetched, but then, it is fiction.

Just received Album Zutique, edited by Jeff Vandermeer. That will probably be next. Just displaced Dedman.
I really enjoyed "Calculating God" and "Flash Forward" by Sawyer. That is what led me to picking up "Factoring Humanity" and "The Golden Fleece". I really like his style, and yes he can have some far-fetched ideas (like an alien showing up at the step of the Toronto Museum undetected), but he really pulls things together well.

Can you suggest anything else by Wilson? I have only read "The Chronoliths".
Sure. Try DARWINIA. I think that is one of his best. Made many best of lists for the yea r it was published. It was nominated for the Hugo (should have won) and won the Aurora Award.

He won the Philip K. Dick Award for Mysterium and was also nominated for A Hidden Place and A Bridge of Years.

I've liked everything I've read by him, but those should be good indicators of what was popularly liked.
Quote:Originally posted by Dagny Taggart
1. I just finished Sideshow by Sheri S Tepper
2. I also want to re-read the Dune series, since I saw that mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel, I want to catch all the things Herbert wrote, but that they skipped in the movie.

How did you like Sideshow?

Me too! I read Dune many years ago and have forgotten a lot of what happened. I never finished reading the series and recently completed collecting the original books by Frank Herbert, so I'll probably start the series again soon. I intend to read the prequels too, even though I'm not sure how I feel about them yet (I have mixed feelings about series that continue after the original author has died).
Quote:Originally posted by Clarkesworld
Sure. Try DARWINIA. I think that is one of his best. Made many best of lists for the yea r it was published. It was nominated for the Hugo (should have won) and won the Aurora Award.

He won the Philip K. Dick Award for Mysterium and was also nominated for A Hidden Place and A Bridge of Years.

I've liked everything I've read by him, but those should be good indicators of what was popularly liked.

I have heard the name "Darwinia" before. Never connected it to him. Now "Mysterium" sounds like an interesting one. I went to amazon.com to read the synopsis and it liked what I saw (besides, I was born and raised in Michigan). But also, a winner of the PKD Award to me makes it more intriguing then a Hugo or Nebula winner/nominee. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But I have read some Hugo/Nebula winners that were alright, but didn't live up to the hype of how good they were supposed to be.
I've been making PKD award nominated books required reading for years now. I've found all sorts of wonderful books that way. Haven't picked up all of the most recent ones yet, but I did recently receive my order of Carol Emshwiller books. She's up for two books.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who are you reading these days? Any favourites? shadowcharge 3 1,315 August 18th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Balticon - scheduled to talk about technology, possibly a reading from The Boson Maru J. Sherlock Brown III 3 935 April 24th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The dying art of reading books and onslaught of online fiction RobRoy 6 1,066 May 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Fountaindale Public Library launches SciFi & Horror reading groups Michael 0 560 December 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
  Ursula Le Guin Q&A and reading in Corvallis, OR Sept. 19 Michael 4 899 September 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
  New to Cthulhu mythos - suggest reading order AlphaOmega 4 13,196 May 24th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Rhadamanthus
  Do you keep reading or do you stop....? Arcadia 35 3,150 September 1st, 2003, 01:11 AM
Last Post: knivesout
  Reading choices wyrdsmyth 3 754 July 24th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Fimmberry
  Reading times will o the wisp 5 791 May 1st, 2003, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Quaisior