Currently reading?
I'm starting (a) book(s) in the sequence The Dark is Rising, and I just finished a good book called Gypsy Ritzka.:clap:
my god, what a world you love.
I am currently reading book two of The Monarchies of God Trilogy by Paul Kearny (it's titled The Heretic Kings). This is my first foray into fantasy since reading Tigana about a year and a half ago. I never have been much of a fantasy reader, other than Gaiman's work. My biggest problem is not necessarily liking the idea of magic. Especially if used as an "out" for situations. But this series I found interesting after reading a synopsis and reviews. So far it has kept my interest. The biggest thing that I enjoy about it is the political intrigue. The struggles between the kingdoms in their struggle to defend themselves from another foe, meanwhile the church's entanglements into the ruling of the kingdoms. Anyone else read these?
I've not read that much lately (on the sf/f side of life, due to reading i've had to do for course work). The last book I read was Robert Jordan's WOT book 10 - Crossroads of Twilight, and I now have to wait for him to write the last 3 books of the series before I find out how the story will end........

When I get a chance again, I am going to pick up with Raymond E Feist, with Jimmy the Hand and then probably King of the Foxes.

Has anybody read either of them yet?
I always slow down on reading during the last of the year. I usually have too many things to do.

I was about half way through The Dark Glory War and really was not enjoying it. I stopped and picked up The Tower of Beowulf by Parke Goodwin. So far it's been a great take on teh Beowulf story.
Bootstrap's Bootstraps.
I'm ready to read the Harry Potter's again and also To Say Nothing of the Dog by Willis.
Despite what I said before about wht I was going to read next, my mate handed me copy of 'The Bible Code' by Micheal Drosnin a few weeks ago. I let it lie a few weeks collecting dust till one night I was sitting quite bored so i picked it up. In all honesty I thought I would put it down again after a few pages, but, once I started reading I was totally intrigued. I don't really know yet what to make of this book and all its claims. I would like to read something by somebody with an opposite view to Drosnin before I make a decision on how I view this book. But still, this is a very interesting read so far.....IMHO!
:up:
I'm now reading The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin. I read it the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. About 100 pages into it this time, I decided it's a book I'll read again, so I just bought it. I don't do that too often. I'm also planning on buying Robin Hobb's Farseer, Tawnyman, and Fool's triologies.

I just read Steven Brust's The Phoenix Guards. That was a great book. The dialogue was going to bug me after awhile, but the story was great.
Bootstrap's Bootstraps.
I'm reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Right now I'm reading the 7th book in swedish which is the beginning of the 4th book in english. They have devided the books in two in Swedish and Finnish.
I'm reading Threshold by Caitlin R. Kiernan. I really enjoy her books, because while she is a dark fantasy author, she is also a paleontologist and tends to work that knowledge into her writing. Additionally, her novels all have that wonderfully creepy southern gothic charm. Smile
I am now reading 'Ventus' by Karl Shroeder. Its quite good, and I'd recommend it to any other sci fi fan.
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
I am currently reading A Crown of Swords, by Robert Jordan.
I intend to read the first book of that Sword of Truth sereis whem I'm done. Does anyone here know if its any good?
I'm reading The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card. For what I'm looking to read, Speaker For the Dead. I've read Ender's Game and all the shadow books so I'm looking forward to it.
I'm now in the middle of the 8th WoT book in swedish and I must say, they are great!!

The things happening with Perrin are just sooo great!!!
I am currently reading The Shiva Option by David Weber and 1984 by George Orwell.
The next book I will read is On Freedom by John Stuart Mill.
I usually choose new books from already loved authors and sometimes the recommendations of friends.
Curb your dogma
Lord Soho by Richard Calder Utterly dire. He may be a gifted lexicographer, but as an author he is almost unreadable. Think of the worst excesses of Virconium crossed with Ghormenghast and you've got the general idea...
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
I can see how a writer who is similar to Harrisson and Peake may get too OTT.

I have finally gotten hold of China Mievelle's Perdido treet Station and so far, it is is extremely good!
'No matter how the world makes out in the next few centuries, a large class of readers will not be too surprised at anything. They will have been through it all before in fictional form.' - De Camp
Quote:Originally posted by knivesout
I have finally gotten hold of China Mievelle's Perdido treet Station and so far, it is is extremely good!

IMHO, "Perdido Street Station" is a future classic, it's a shame that the follow-up, "The Scar" is such a disappointment.
Oh, no! BIG dissapointmemt or just he could have done better?

Have you read Veniss Underground, btw?
'No matter how the world makes out in the next few centuries, a large class of readers will not be too surprised at anything. They will have been through it all before in fictional form.' - De Camp
Quote:Originally posted by knivesout
Oh, no! BIG dissapointmemt or just he could have done better?

Have you read Veniss Underground, btw?

Big disappointment. His editor should have pulled him aside and told him to curb his excesses.

As for Veniss Underground, it looks interesting, but it's not lying by my bed at present. Next up is "The Cassandra Complex" by Brian Stableford followed by "Geomancer" by Ian Irvine.
Quote:Originally posted by Mouse
IMHO, "Perdido Street Station" is a future classic, it's a shame that the follow-up, "The Scar" is such a disappointment.

amen!

Though incredibly I have friends who think the reverse...
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who are you reading these days? Any favourites? shadowcharge 3 1,444 August 18th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Balticon - scheduled to talk about technology, possibly a reading from The Boson Maru J. Sherlock Brown III 3 1,056 April 24th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The dying art of reading books and onslaught of online fiction RobRoy 6 1,155 May 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Fountaindale Public Library launches SciFi & Horror reading groups Michael 0 654 December 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
  Ursula Le Guin Q&A and reading in Corvallis, OR Sept. 19 Michael 4 1,049 September 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
  New to Cthulhu mythos - suggest reading order AlphaOmega 4 13,373 May 24th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Rhadamanthus
  Do you keep reading or do you stop....? Arcadia 35 3,387 September 1st, 2003, 01:11 AM
Last Post: knivesout
  Reading choices wyrdsmyth 3 852 July 24th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Fimmberry
  Reading times will o the wisp 5 921 May 1st, 2003, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Quaisior