Lucy's pilot not picked up
Quote:5/13/07
So 'Footy Wives' died a horrible death on the operating table. As late as thursday morning it was on the slate as the 10pm follow up to Grey's Anatomy, then it had a sudden and fatal myocardial infarction and it was all over. One conspiracy theorist suggested that ABC and ESPN are owned by the same people and so our portrayal of some players and their wives as wretched Ho's engaged in drug-fuelled skulduggery was incompatible with life. Bummer. Sounds like a surefire hit to me.

From Lucy's blog, alerted by a Lucy fan on the EI board.

So she & Kevin have something else in common - pilots that were a "sure thing" not picked up at the last minute...

This was "Football Wives" in case someone doesn't get "Footy," an adaptation of an English series.
This was posted on the Xena forum and like I said there,ABC has made the same mistake twice-when will they ever learn?:confused:
Rhonda
member,OIKSFC
Kevin-#1
"what the world needs now is love"
Welp then just as well Kevin didn't get the part. Smile Perhaps this is a good omen for him, we shall see!!!!!
Footy refers to what we call soccer but what the rest of the world calls football. Which makes much more sense than what we call American Football. LOL

So am I to infer from this that they were going to make a series based on the BBC's Footballer's Wives only about American Footballer's Wives? That's confusing. LOL
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
I do believe that is where the idea came from. Smile
Are there no original ideas around anymore? Why do successful UK hits have to be re-made in a US format and vice versa. I know the UK & US are "2 countries divided by a common language" (or whatever the saying is!) but, if we foreigners get the jokes/premise from a US series and Americans understand a foreign series, why bother to re-make it? I saw some of the US version of the Office and, while it was good, it was just the same as the UK one.....

Harmony
Its been done for many years....Three's Company was based on "Robin's Nest" from BBC
Kate
Troll Hunter and catcher Extraordinaire
CJ~ Wrote:Footy refers to what we call soccer but what the rest of the world calls football. Which makes much more sense than what we call American Football. LOL

So am I to infer from this that they were going to make a series based on the BBC's Footballer's Wives only about American Footballer's Wives? That's confusing. LOL

Exactly.

Of course I've never understood why the US game is called football in the first place. Feet very rarely come into contact with the ball.

The remake phenomenon is decades old. I'd just as soon have the Brit originals but advertisers may feel otherwise - most of the Brit. series we've seen in the US have been on PBS, which is not advertiser supported.

I've noticed my non-digital On Demand has some of the Brit Footballer's Wives - must watch a few eps. I'm now enjoying Robin Hood that way, both from BC America which is only fully available on the "digital tier."

Wonder which accent Lucy would have used if this had gone to series? Kiwi or American?! (Maybe someone on the Lucy board has some insight...) I'd love to see the pilot! (Something else that's vanished from tv - networks used to air their pilots that weren't picked up in the summer - now it's all new reality drek...)
Yeah,I remember back in the 60s into the early 70s,any pilots that were not picked up were aired during the summer. To be honest, I'd rather watch unsold tv pilots than all this reality crap that's on now!
Rhonda
member,OIKSFC
Kevin-#1
"what the world needs now is love"
harmonygirl Wrote:Are there no original ideas around anymore? Why do successful UK hits have to be re-made in a US format and vice versa. I know the UK & US are "2 countries divided by a common language" (or whatever the saying is!) but, if we foreigners get the jokes/premise from a US series and Americans understand a foreign series, why bother to re-make it? I saw some of the US version of the Office and, while it was good, it was just the same as the UK one.....

Harmony

I think they figured out a long time ago that foreign shows just never become big hits in the US. The Saint and The Avengers became modest hits... but that was 40 years ago. And you can see when things get rerun on PBS and cable - Monty Python, Dr. Who, Absolutely Fabulous, etc. - a hardcore million or so watches... but that's usually about it.

But modifying UK shows has been around forever - "Man from UNCLE" was just an American-ized version of James Bond, and The Monkees was a tv version of the Beatles in "Help!" And classic sitcoms like "Sanford and Son" and "All in the Family" were based on British originals.

There really hasn't been a completely original new idea in 2000 years or more... and there probably won't be, since just about every experience that human being could have, happened before anyone knew how to write it down in a story. Wink
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
no Sad

I really wanted to see LL back on tv, but I do however like to see her in movies anyway.
juicy flawless.org

:cheergirl:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 543 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Happy Birthday Lucy Lawless! august 32 6,535 March 29th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: august
  Lucy Lawless and season 2 of "Ash vs. Evil Dead" august 0 592 September 6th, 2016, 11:02 AM
  Bruce, Lucy and Rob at Comic-Con! august 2 751 July 26th, 2016, 11:19 AM
  Lucy Lawless and Bruce Campbell on Late Show with Colbert (Nov. 10) august 0 582 January 4th, 2016, 02:45 PM
  Bruce, Sam, Rob + Lucy reunite for an Evil Dead Army of Darkness series on Starz! august 31 3,241 December 27th, 2015, 06:08 PM
  Interviews with Lucy, and her "dream project" august 2 579 December 27th, 2015, 04:16 PM
  Lucy Lawless on the Today Show! august 2 554 December 14th, 2015, 12:00 PM
  Ash vs. Evil Dead Panel at Comic Con w/ Sam, Bruce, Lucy and Ivan! august 0 601 July 18th, 2015, 04:51 PM
  Lucy Lawless on Salem this year! august 0 467 April 4th, 2015, 12:53 PM