Are Bratz Dolls Too Sexy?
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I used to play with them when I was younger, in that age group of 7-11. I didn't see anything wrong about them then, but now I'm just too disgusted to look at them. I fully agree with this article.
1 - If your 4-11 year-old understands what a "sexualized object" is then you have bigger problems than a doll.
2 - These girls aren't driving themselves to the stores and buying these dolls and their clothes with their own money. The parents are at fault here, not the dolls.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
I don't allow my six year-old to play with them, but then I read books like 'Charlottes Web', 'The Hobbit' and 'Alice in Wonderland' with her as well.... so, obviously we are a deviant family.
What about "Animal Farm"? Wink

I saw an animated version of that, when I was, oh maybe six or seven. They changed the ending with a second revolution overthrowing Napoleon Pig, though.
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
GamgeeFest Wrote:2 - These girls aren't driving themselves to the stores and buying these dolls and their clothes with their own money. The parents are at fault here, not the dolls.

I don't have a proper answer for this one way or the other, but not all parents should be parents. By the same token, marketing is in the business of selling things. The Bratz are aimed directly at an age-group, and have a tie-in to a cartoon show (or vice-versa). The cartoon runs during a time-slot specifically meant to attract these children. <shrug>

We can throw some of the blame on the parents, I'm ok with that. But it doesn't help that [evil] corporations are selling this product. Clearly, enough children enjoy the show and want the dolls to make it profitable . . . or we wouldn't have this article. :bg:
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I too have a six-year-old daughter.

My problem with the dolls (I have not read the article yet) is not the way they are dressed. It's their horrible eye makeup. They are called "Bratz" because they look bratty. They look like mean girls. The kids on so-called children's TV are just as bad - you should check out the Disney channel sometime. I never heard such smart-mouthed, nasty, mean talk in my life.

My child is rarely allowed to watch television. Turn off the TV week was easy for us. Also, I have never bought her a Bratz doll. Yet she begs me for them all the time. Her friends have them, and she was given one for her last birthday by the parent of one of her best friends. Am I supposed to tell that parent I don't approve of what she allows her own daughter to do? What am I supposed to do, throw it away? We went to a New Year's Eve party at a neighbor's house and all the kids (aged 5 to 16) went into a separate room to watch movies. When I checked on them they were watching "Hidalgo" - a scene where the hero is tied up and being threatened with castration. I didn't know whether to drag her out of there or what, so I just stayed. In the next scene the "hero" kills the bad guy in a horrible manner because he struck a horse. This was presented in such a way that the audience is supposed to stand up and cheer. At that point I made her leave, and she was furious with me. I honestly don't know how parents are supposed to control what goes into their kids' heads. It's just out there. You can sit with her during every TV show and every advertisement and constantly explain that, no, Barbie is not shaped like a normal human being, and no, this toy will not work the way they show it, or no, you don't think the values being modeled are appropriate, but eventually you will be square old mom and she will still be going off to school and playing with her friends and talking about "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody."

My child plays at her friends' houses and her friends are allowed to watch movies that I do not think young children should be watching. She has been begging me to rent "Pirates of the Caribbean" forever. She has seen all the Harry Potter movies, and I think the fourth one was way too intense for her.

If all parents, en masse, responded negatively to the way things are marketed to their children, by not buying any of it, by turning off the TV, maybe we could get somewhere. But you can't control what other people do and eventually it will affect your own child. I think the best way to handle it is just to be there, model the values you think are appropriate and keep on talking, talking, talking to your kids. Because they are going to get exposed to stuff that we old folks could not even have imagined at their ages. The experts (and I am supposed to be an expert!) seem to think the harm is minimized as long as you remain a strong force for the opposite way of thinking, but that's pretty simplistic.
Quote:...no, Barbie is not shaped like a normal human being,...

Well, for one thing, at least until tattoos got popular among young women at any rate, real human beings didn't have copyright notices inscribed on their derrieres. :crazy:

IIRC I read somewheres Barbie was actually originally modeled after a popular German sex toy. Blush
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexy and romantic songs.. Varda 31 1,651 April 23rd, 2003, 04:29 AM
Last Post: pantalimon