Muggle Quidditch
O.K., has anyone also heard that here in the states, some college is actually attempting to play a game they are calling 'Quidditch'? I read this in the paper and it had a photo of a player in his costume, which included a cloak. And yes, they ride broomsticks. Which of course, do not fly.

What I can't grasp is how you play this without balls which can also fly. The Bludgers and the Snitch have to fly. Well, players could throw 'bludgers' at one another, of course; but what would stand in for a Golden Snitch?

Just wondering.
Splitting as this is a new topic.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Ok, I did a quick search and came up with the following (just a few):

Borders Riverside Quidditch Classic
Fictional literary game "exercises" MU minds
Muggle Quidditch
Harry Potter Inspired Muggle Quidditch

Enjoy!
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I think I'll wait to catch a game until they get real flying broomsticks, bludgers and golden snitches.

Interesting concept, though.

I wonder what JKR thinks?
Some more press on real live Quidditch. From USA Today back in November of 2007:

Quote:MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — The broomsticks they hold between their legs can't help them fly. The Snitch is not a winged golden ball but a young man who sprints across the field at lightning speed. And at times, the game looks like the mongrel offspring of rugby, dodge ball and soccer. But somehow it all works.

The first intercollegiate Quidditch match was held here this month, and though this version of the game is earthbound, it's taking off.....

"We were all Harry Potter's age when the books started," says Sam Libby, 20, a Middlebury College junior .... "And Quidditch is one of the most creative things that came out of the books. We were able to create that here, follow all the rules, except the ability to fly. It just caught on."

Quidditch surfaced at Middlebury two falls ago when a handful of students gathered to play a rudimentary form of the game on Sunday afternoons, making up rules extrapolated from the books.

By this month's Intercollegiate Quidditch World Cup Fall Festival, there were banners, team processions worthy of Olympic opening ceremonies, halftime entertainment and 12 seven-person coed Middlebury teams vying for the chance to play the visiting team from Vassar College.

In addition to Middlebury and Vassar, Quidditch is played at Bucknell University, Tulane, Oberlin, Washington state's Whitman College and Vermont's Marlboro College, where the Golden Snitch is not a human but a toy helicopter. (It has to be caught before it hits the ground.)

Parents who are paying $46,910 a year to send their children to Middlebury say it's worth the price. :bounce:

"There was some skepticism in the beginning," says Manshel, one of the play-by-play commentators and a member of an improv team on campus. "But once people saw it wasn't just a fantasy game and very athletic, it's caught on."

"Of all the things I've done in my four years at Middlebury, this is by far the best," says Ellie Molyneux, 21, a psychology major from Worthington, Mass., who played for the Bad *** Muggle Flyers. "I won a Jell-O wrestling contest one year, but this is far better." :laugh:

And just a couple of weeks ago, it has now spread south, according to The Daily Gamecock:

Quote:Quidditch has finally been brought to the Muggle world. And to USC.

Noah Clark, Dominique Johnson and Burns Newsome, all freshmen, decided to bring Quidditch to USC and are co-founders of Gamecock Quidditch, the University’s newest club sport.

After some preliminary work, the team made USC an official part of the Intercollegiate Quidditch Association. About 225 schools are a part of the Association. This qualifies the schools for discounts on brooms and special merchandise and lends an air of legitimacy to the team.

Even though the sport is growing in popularity, the group says it has experienced some negativity. Playing a magical sport based on the Harry Potter series has subjected members to threats of lost friendships and confusion with things like Dungeons and Dragons.

The team had its first interest meeting Wednesday. They plan to form small teams within Gamecock Quidditch so they can play against each other weekly. For more information or to inquire about joining a team, visit the Facebook page Gamecock Quidditch.

Video of the Vassar team practicing at Middlebury College:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jew6EyNvBfI

And a CBS News report:

From YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Okay, someone needs to invent real flying brooms ASAP. I hope I never have to watch anything like that again.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
1st Quiddiitch World Cup? PUH-lease. We're up to 400-and-something.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Aunt Petunia a muggle or squib or a bitter witch? badlands 6 84 2 hours ago
Last Post: Michael
  The Muggle word is derogatory badlands 8 1,339 November 8th, 2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: namesarehard
  New Quidditch brooms lack the straw... Michael 0 603 December 4th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Quidditch gets its own real-life Quidditch Association Michael 2 610 June 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Last Post: august
  Harry Potter and the Muggle Prime Minister (Ch 1 Minor Spoiler) Gildor Inglorion 16 1,239 August 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Last Post: zoe27
  Quidditch Hedwig32 17 1,126 August 4th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Last Post: ginger
  Quidditch questions davedapunk 16 1,468 June 16th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Hedwig32
  Quidditch Hound 0 392 June 16th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Hound
  Quidditch Teams davedapunk 2 506 June 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
Last Post: LunaLovegoodsTwin