Promiscuous Boy: Harry Potter takes it all off
Arcadia Wrote:So your question seems to be, why would I think that he hasn't spoken to anyone else. And my reply is, I do not think that he hasn't spoken to anyone else. I do not know if he has or not. Do you know for a certainty that he has, or are you speculating that he has?

Yes. Given his interaction with such a myriad of long-lived and apparently smart actors, actresses, directors, etc.. Parallel that with this choice for a break-out roll and I see no reason to suspect that he has not but every reason to believe that he has.

What evidence can you offer against this?
Houston . . . we have a problem.
Fantasy Wrote:Yes. Given his interaction with such a myriad of long-lived and apparently smart actors, actresses, directors, etc.. Parallel that with this choice for a break-out roll and I see no reason to suspect that he has not but every reason to believe that he has.

What evidence can you offer against this?

As I said above, more than once, I make no claim and thus need no evidence. I made a caution. I like the actor and would not wish him to be harmed through an unwise choice.

I repeat. I make no claim. I repeat: I do not know whether he has had the advice that I suggested or not.

I am finished discussing this. My repeated explanations are not being heard, and in fact, I am wondering if the repeated demand for proof of something that I did not claim is simply a matter of trolling. I answered in good faith with a sincere desire to communicate. Now I am done.
Arcadia Wrote:As I said above, more than once, I make no claim and thus need no evidence. I made a caution. I like the actor and would not wish him to be harmed through an unwise choice.

Seriously? It appears you're inferring an insult where there is none. Whether you made "a claim" or "a caution", both implied an action not taken. Your responses don't offer any support for this. Sorry if you don't see that.

Quote:I am finished discussing this. My repeated explanations are not being heard, and in fact, I am wondering if the repeated demand for proof of something that I did not claim is simply a matter of trolling. I answered in good faith with a sincere desire to communicate. Now I am done.

Your "repeated explanations" are being heard, they just don't make sense as a clarification. If you want to accuse me of something, then we should probably take this conversation off the forums.
Houston . . . we have a problem.
Arcadia Wrote:I hope that he isn't taking this kind of role with the intention of breaking out of possible type-casting as boy hero. I also hope that he isn't taking this kind of role in desperation- that he is finding that his acting abilities are not in demand, and so he is taking whatever roles he can find to keep his name visible.

Aha - I can answer this, and in fact Radcliffe himself answered it on the Tonight Show appearance referred to above. :bg:

He is definitely not takeing this role out of desperation - this is one of the classic stage roles of modern theatre. Because there are a finite amount of lead roles for an actor in his teens to play in "serious" drama. So he's no more taking this in desperation that he would be in taking on the role of Hamlet or Romeo. There are only a few years available to him that he will be young enough to do this type of role. (The original actor did it into his 30's, long after he was too old for the part by general concensus.)

As far as I can tell, the producers were going to do a revival of the play anyway. Daniel has no experience as a lead actor on stage, so this was/is an incredible opportunity for him to make his debut in a lead role in a high-profile famous play. Just as they were very lucky to land a "name" actor.

Quote:A third caution I would have for him is to consult people with more experience in the acting profession for guidance in such choices.

If he sincerely wants this kind of role and feels it will broaden his acting career, then its his choice and I wish him well in it.

Well, I'm neither as famous or as successful as he, but I have an extra 30 year's acting experience on him, so I'd say yes - there's no question that any of the hundreds of actors and directors I've worked with would disagree in the slightest - an extraordinary opportunity for anyone of that age, especially someone whose background is in films. An agent or manager who recommended anything otherwise would in all likelihood be abandoned by his clients for gross professional incompetence. And realistically, the 99.99% of actors who aren't being invited to star on Broadway would do well to ask Daniel for career advice, since clearly he knows what he's doing.

Quote:On a number of occasions people have posed nude or acted in sexually suggestive films as young people and regretted it later. As I said, I hope that his reason for doing this isn't to break out of the type-casting. I hope he has considered all ramifications. If he has and has received good advice, then one wouldn't worry about an actor that one likes- it is his life and his choice.

I am glad to hear this. Being good, though, and removing some possible future choices because of doing this should be weighed.

Aha - I think the misunderstanding is that this is some sort of sexually suggestive play, or that it might remove some possible future choices. It isn't, and it won't. Everyone from Anthony Hopkins to Richard Burton, Anthony Perkins to Colin Blakely, Tom Hulce to Peter Firth, Leonard Nimoy to George Takei (seriously! :laughSmile have played the leads in this, and no one's career has been hurt. This is a play one often reads in senior year in high school or freshman year in college, where you have to be able to explain on a midterm why the nudity is essential to the play and why it's not gratuitous or sensationalistic, in order to pass the class. Wink

And speaking of...............

Opening night is Sept. 5th, 2008 at the Broadhurst Theatre, 235 West 44th Street, New York, NY. Details at http://www.equusonbroadway.com/ .

And guess what? Trek's Kate Mulgrew is in the cast! She plays Hester Solomon, the judge who orders Daniel's character to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. Interestingly, the doctor is played by veteran character actor Richard Griffiths, best known to American audiences as Harry's Uncle Vernon Dursley. He won a Tony two years ago for "The History Boys." American audiences - including swooning Harry Potter fangirls - had better watch out, however:

Quote:June 2005: he ordered a man out of the National Theatre, London, when his mobile phone went off for the sixth time during a performance of Alan Bennett's "The History Boys". The actor stopped in the middle of his lines, fixed the offender with an icy stare and said: "I am asking you to stand up, leave this auditorium and never, ever come back". Other members of the audience applauded as the man left the theatre.

May 2006: When a mobile rang out for the third time during his performance as Hector, a teacher, in Alan Bennett's The History Boys at the Broadhurst Theatre in New York, Griffiths rounded on the theatregoer and thundered: "I am not going to compete with these electronic devices. You were told to turn them off by the stage manager; you were told it was against the law. If we hear one more phone go off, we'll quit this performance. You have been warned."

Durn -that's hard-core! :bounce:
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Actor Leslie Phillips, voice of Harry Potter Sorting Hat, dies aged 98 Michael 1 63 November 10th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Harry Potter vs Encanto badlands 3 381 March 2nd, 2022, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Harry Potter exhibit badlands 0 278 February 20th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Slavery in Harry Potter badlands 1 356 February 7th, 2022, 09:33 PM
  Is Harry Potter really Moaning Myrtle? badlands 3 364 February 6th, 2022, 04:12 AM
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 1,032 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 676 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 546 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 1,388 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 778 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: august