Happy Potter and the (7th book title)
JK Rowling has announced the title of the 7th book on her website. But you have to play a game of hangman to get the title.

For those who don't wish to bother, I'll put it in spoiler brackets:

To view, use your mouse to select the text:
Happy Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
Thanks, CJ!

Here is a link to find more about what is going on with JKR.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/12...index.html
Well...I'll be the first to say it....:dummy: I wonder what that means? :crazy:
I'm a bit unsure of it. Looks a bit cheesy. Perhaps JK is running out of ideas for titles :dead:

That said, I trust that JK's choice is relevant.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-
General Grievous is a whole lot easier to say.
Harry's parents lived in Godric's Hollow, correct? Could the title be a play on that?
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
I'm going to jump in here and use the word, since surely anyone who is interested would know it by now- it is in Amazon.com already, after all.

I am thinking of Halloween and All Hallow's Eve. What is a Hallow- a ghost? A holy being?

I looked it up:

Quote:To make or set apart as holy.
To respect or honor greatly; revere.
Well that doesn't make our brave young hero's prospects the best for making it out alive, does it?
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
Arcadia Wrote:I'm going to jump in here and use the word, since surely anyone who is interested would know it by now- it is in Amazon.com already, after all.

I am thinking of Halloween and All Hallow's Eve. What is a Hallow- a ghost? A holy being?

I looked it up:

Hallow means to sanctify or make holy. Halloween is the shortened form of the title "All Hallows' Eve" since it was the night before "All Hallows' Day" or "All Saints' Day", the day celebrated for all those people who are sanctified and holy.

I'm not exactly certain was a "deathly hallow" would be. It seems to indicate something that is blessed, sanctified, holy, but that is also deadly. However, it could also indicate a sacred place of the dead, such as a battlefield or a graveyard.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Or as the person a few posts above me said, the "holy" place could be Godric's Hollow, or Hallow, whatever, lol.
Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!
My assumption is that the reference is most likely to Godric's Hollow; "Hallow" having such a similar ring to it.

I wonder at Harry's {possible} family ties to Godric Griffendor. We've met a direct descendant of Slythern and Hufflepuff, after all. If not Harry's family connection, then, possibly, Dumbledore's. [Why was the hiding place selected for James and Lily, "Godric's Hollow" if there is no connection to anyone? I understand JKR herself has remarked that there is a connection between the name of the place where James and Lily hid, and died, to the Griffendor founder.]

As for "deathly": I've more than half a mind that Harry won't survive. So the name may forshadow his death.

Of course, the Prophecy suggested that one or the other, Harry or LV, would die in the end. So it could mean LV's demise, after all, not Harry's. But nothing says they both won't die. Nor, for that matter, that LV won't triumph with Harry's death, though I'm reasonably certain none of us expects that.
I think Hallows refers to All Hallows Day, the day after Halloween. So the title would mean that a number of deaths occur on All Hallows Day.
Well, could be.

But that is an odd timing, if the books cover the usual time span for students, after all.

We end each book in early summer, as the school year ends. We begin each new book in summer, as Harry endures his time with the Dursleys, and awaits the start of the new school year in fall. Most of the books' action happens during the school year, between September and June.

If the major events happen in October .......... we've a lot of year left over.

Now, Harry did say he wasn't going to enter Hogwarts in the Fall. But that does not change the facts, that JKR started with a stated plan, seven books, one for each year at wizarding school for her protagonist; and that every book has begun in summer prior to the school year starting, has most of the tale take place during the school term, and ends as the students depart for the upcoming summer.

Yes, Halloween is morphed out of "All Hallows Eve", true.
Good point about the timing not working out for the crisis to take place at the beginning of November.

So Deathly Hallows may mean something that occurs more than once, or that it is a description of a place. I doubt that a bunch of deaths would happen in early November and then the story moving on, unless there is a general catastrophe when a number of people die and it adds urgency to Harry's quest, that takes place for the rest of the story.

So I am back to trying to think what the title means.
I'm thinking along the lines that "Deathly Hallows" could refer to a battleground (perhaps the ground upon which the last battle will take place), or a buriel ground. Maybe it refers to what lies beyond the veil deep in the Department of Mysteries. I don't think it will have any connection to Godric's Hollow, however, unless Godric's Hollow becomes hallowed; the two words do sound alike, but they're hardly synonymous. I do agree that the event that will be dubbed "Deathly Hallows" will most likely take place toward the end or climax of the book.
Maybe it does refer to All Hallows Eve, or All Hallows Day. I wrote above that maybe there was a catastrophe on one of those days that triggered general pandemonium and battling. I don't necessarily believe that the event referred to by Deathly Hallows, if it is an event and not a place, necessarily needs to be the final confrontation.
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I was unclear in my meaning. I meant to say that the place where the final event takes place would be called "the Deathly Hallows"; that the two will go hand in hand.

You're right, though, it could refer to All Hallows Eve or Day, although I still have a feeling it refers to something more. All we can do is speculate. :question:

Book 7, where are you?!
Niphredil Wrote:You're right, though, it could refer to All Hallows Eve or Day, although I still have a feeling it refers to something more. All we can do is speculate. :question:

Book 7, where are you?!

True, and lacking the book to read, speculating is at least fun. Smile

If I remember correctly. in HBP, there was a lot of speculation before the book came out about who was the HBP, but in the book, the identity of the HBP wasn't that much of a plot point? or is this just my interpretation? If I have remembered correctly, then this is why I don't think that deathly hallows has to be of great significance. Of course if I am wrong about HBP then I need to change my mind, again.
Arcadia Wrote:True, and lacking the book to read, speculating is at least fun. Smile

That it is. :wink:

Arcadia Wrote:If I remember correctly. in HBP, there was a lot of speculation before the book came out about who was the HBP, but in the book, the identity of the HBP wasn't that much of a plot point? or is this just my interpretation? If I have remembered correctly, then this is why I don't think that deathly hallows has to be of great significance. Of course if I am wrong about HBP then I need to change my mind, again.

Hmm... I really couldn't say, as I only just read HBP last Friday (and only just read the other books for the first time in the two months), so I missed all the speculation that went on before the other books were released.

I wouldn't say that the revelation of who the Half-Blood Prince was was insignificant, as far as plot points go. From it we learned more about Snape when he was younger (making up his own spells, some of them quite dark), and Harry certainly grew from the experience, having thought the Half-Blood Prince was a good guy only to find out that he was Harry's worst nightmare (or second worst, if Voldemort is his very worst). And Snape himself certainly had a significant role to play in the end.
Thanks for the reminders. I am still thinking that someone being HBP really didn't mean much for the plot. For example, he is not now called HBP, it just kind of came and went. Good points about Harry's growing from the discovery, and the importance of Snape himself in the plot. Does it really matter that he is HBP, though? I wonder if he'll ever be referred to as that again- he wasn't even referred to as that later on in the book, IIRC.
I didn't get the feeling that even when he was in school and was calling himself HBP that other people knew about it. Given that he later became a Death Eater, I don't think being half-blood is something he would have boasted about (considering how much Lucius Malfoy and others hate half-bloods). And I think if James Potter and Sirius Black had found out about the title he had given himself, they would have taunted him to no end (iirc, when Harry asked Lupin about the HBP Lupin had never heard of him, but if Potter and Black had known about it he certainly would have, too). No, I think as an adult he will never be referred to as the HBP, or even so much as state that he is half-blood; but then I think the spells he invented may still be important... hopefully we'll learn something more about that particular plot line in Book 7.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 572 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 345 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Michael
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 266 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 894 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 435 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
  The Hillywood Show Harry Potter parody (video) Michael 4 692 September 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM
  Universal Studios Harry Potter badlands 1 367 September 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Harry Potter wedding badlands 2 407 August 29th, 2018, 09:54 AM
  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Irene 5 863 April 18th, 2018, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter presequel news badlands 7 1,104 December 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM