Stranger Than Fiction
The current career path for comics great and small is to turn in some high-cash low-brow pieces, and then turn to something completely different in which audiences and fans will say, "Wow, he has depth."

This is only sorta the case with Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. I say sorta because Ferrell has always had a kind of put-upon persistence that he's cultivated into bigger, louder, faster for his movie efforts. Unlike some comics, though, you can tell there is a real intellect at work.

As Harold Crick, and you will not forget that name soon after watching the movie, Ferrell turns in a stunning performance that is all Ferrell with none of the bigger/louder/funnier trimmings that have made him a star. Instead, he plays a subdued kind of IRS accountant who, as the highlight of his day, counts everything. The number of toothbrush strokes he uses, the number of steps he takes to the bus, the tiles on the ceiling, etc.

Until . . . of course, something strange happens. His life starts to be narrated by novelist Kay Eiffel (the always delicious Emma Watson) who has had writer's block for ten years and is now being assisted by the delightful (and delicious) Queen Latifah as assistant/publisher-spy Penny Escher. This is mostly annoying for Harold, and humorous for us, as Harold tries to figure out what's going on inside his head. After seeing a psychiatrist, he goes instead to see Professor Jules Hibbert, expertly played by an almost whimsical Dustin Hoffman. Harold is prompted by this, as his narrator, Eiffel has stated that he is going to die.

Added to this, he finds himself attracted to the tax-protesting bakery owner Ana Pascal (the equally delicious Maggie Gyllenhaal) whom he has been assigned to audit for tax-evasion (she refuses to pay for military and election campaign-related funds). As with all such "death is coming" type movies, our hero now questions his daily grind. He discovers that the status quo has only been familiar, not fun, not enjoyable.

This life-is-there-to-be-enjoyed is quite well told, well acted, and well shot. I have no complaints with this movie, and in fact, nothing but praise. I love the conclusion and love the fact that the movie recognizes and states in itself that one conclusion would have been better than the other. I liked it both ways.

Go see this movie on the big screen and buy it when it comes out on DVD.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I absolutely loved this movie and cannot say enough good things about it. It was funny and witty, touching and profound. Two of my favorite parts has to be when Harold first hears he's going to die and starts shouting on the street corner, and when Kay recounts all her tragic heroes from novels past. But that's just two of my favorites. If I listed them all, I'd be paraphrasing the whole movie. My favorite quote though has to be from the guitar shop: "I'm compensating for something. Guess what?"
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will we see the return of the small budget science fiction film? hour_25mikehodel 4 264 February 23rd, 2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Science Fiction Movie Marathons pogopossum 1 688 May 30th, 2020, 10:15 AM
  Video: "In the Year 2889" Science Fiction TV Movie FilmGuy 1 458 July 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM
  Video: Bill Murray's 1984 Science Fiction Comedy "Nothing Lasts Forever" FilmGuy 0 451 July 10th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Enthusiastic science fiction fans around the world flocking to learn Avatar's Na'vi Michael 0 491 August 8th, 2011, 04:28 AM
  Science Fiction Film Babes Through Time august 0 499 August 31st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Last Post: august
  Hugh Jackman headlining science fiction film "Real Steel" Michael 3 591 June 18th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Katherine Heigl returns to science fiction with "Age of Adaline" Michael 0 504 May 19th, 2010, 11:21 PM
  Aliens no longer just science fiction akoroves 4 685 November 10th, 2009, 03:58 AM
  Stranger than SF: Enron CEO takes control of MGM Michael 0 419 October 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM