sad news--Jack Williamson passes away
Sad news from Steve Haffner (Haffner Press--neat stuff!) in my email box today (11/10/06)-----

Folks:

Betty Williamson has sent a message today to friends and relatives that Jack
Williamson has passed away.

Betty writes:

Hello dear friends and family,

This is to let you know that our beloved Jack Williamson died this afternoon at 3:22
p.m. He was in his study, surrounded by people he loved who loved him. It could
not have been better.

Jack consented to a memorial service because I told him there were a lot of people
who would want to get together to share wonderful memories. We will let all of you
know when that is set.

Thank you for your friendship and love to Jack. He will be missed by all of us, but
he was very ready to die. He has told me many, many times, "I have lived a
wonderful life and I will die with no regrets."

Jack was wonderfully kind and generous to me since I began publishing books of his
works in 1998, and I will miss him and his geniality more than I can express.

Stephen Haffner
Mark Hall
He was always one of my favorite writers. So it goes.
Sci-fi legend Williamson dies
By Karl Terry: PNT Managing Editor
karl_terry@link.freedom.com
Created on: November 11, 2006 - 1:47AM - 9214

PNT file photo
Jack Williamson, left, is shown in 2004 with friend Rick Hauptmann and his book, “Seventy-Five,” commemorating 75 years as an author. Williamson died Friday at 98.

Advertisement

The man considered by many the “Dean of Science Fiction” — Jack Williamson — died Friday at his home in Portales. He was 98.

A prolific writer, Williamson authored more than 50 novels and numerous short stories, including eight novels completed after he turned 90. His first story, “The Metal Man,” was published in 1928, and he continued to work up until close to the time of his death.

rest at

http://www.pntonline.com/engine.pl?stati...ml&id=9214
Mark Hall
How sad. I took a creative writing course from him, and another course on science fiction literature back in the early 90s. It was such a treat to have one of the greats discussing works of fiction. He related, at one point, a story about Isaac Asimov, and how the other writer had told Williamson that he'd burned about a thousand pages of his work. Williamson replied, "That was probably a good thing."

He will be missed.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mammoths and jack the ripper Sandyspann 1 524 March 19th, 2020, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Michael
  BUG JACK BARRON by Norman Spinrad, from ReAnimus Press ReAnimusPress 2 910 August 4th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: august
  RIP Jack Vance Paul Goode 1 551 June 2nd, 2013, 01:42 AM
  How Roger Zelazny and Jack Kirby helped smuggle Americans out of Iran august 3 1,090 February 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Agaricus
  Richard Alf, co-founder of Comic Con, passes away at 59 Michael 0 494 January 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM
  News from Pat Murphy Michael 0 711 January 30th, 2011, 02:37 PM
  News from Michaela Roessner Michael 0 798 January 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
  News from Lisa Goldstein Michael 0 726 January 30th, 2011, 02:34 PM
  Comic book cover artist Al Williamson reportedly passes away Michael 0 904 June 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM
  Sad News Jeanne Robinson Paul Goode 2 779 June 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: RobRoy