Cell Phones & User Etiquette, Safety
I'm surpised there hasn't been a thread specifically about cell phone use and ithe effect on normal human interaction in public, and on safety, e.g. phoning while driving.

It used to be that when someone walked around talking to no visible person, a conclusion was drawn by observers regarding that person's mental health status. Nowadays it's quite common to see people talking to no visible person, often loudly and with gestures.

My own experiences with cell phones & driving led me to observe that whenever a vehicle in front of me was hogging the "fast" lane, hesitating at green lights, and generally being a needless obstacle, I could usually see a phone glued to the driver's ear. I discovered myself that holding a cellphone and driving a manual transmission vehicle doesn't mix at all. I can hardly be in heavy traffic without having that confounded phone ring (Normally I let the voicemail get it). A friend of mine once ran over a mailbox because the phone rang just as he was pulling out of a driveway and getting up to speed on the street. Reflexively, he looked down at the display; didn't even answer it, & didn't correct his oversteering in time. The consensus is emerging that phoning distracts from driving.

We've endured the scare that cell phones cause brain cancer; now today the Drudge Report links to stories under the heading "Study: Cellphone Use Increases Risk of Infertility." Here is the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar...ge_id=1770 . Here's another story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6079782.stm .

Now, I'm picturing Leno or Letterman, or O'Brien, or somebody telling us about that story on their show, and informing us that he as a matter of fact knows someone who became infertile because of using his cell phone. It seems this guy took a call in a theatre and after about five minutes of talking, a big guy in the row ahead of him stood up, picked him up out of his seat, and emasculated him. :crown:
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I think here in America the laws regarding cellphone use while driving are set up in the state government--because I think in Illinois it's against the law to drive while talking on a non handsfree cellphone, whereas in Wisconsin it's not illegal yet.

From my experiance, I find that talking on a cellphone is tough while driving, but sending text messages are much harder Wink .
Don't do nothing.
Mobile/cell phones take away the concentration away from the road ahead which is dangerous. Loss of concentration is a big problem.
Fazza Wrote:Mobile/cell phones take away the concentration away from the road ahead which is dangerous. Loss of concentration is a big problem.

That's what I was trying to say, only I got on a soapbox to talk about it instead, :lol:.
Only say things as I see them.
This is a tough issue for me. I used to live very close to the hospital where I worked, and could never understand people who talked on the phone in the car. If I got beeped outside of work I waited until I got home or pulled over to answer.

Now I'm on call every day, from 6 AM to 8 PM, for 21 days in a row. If I don't answer the pager when I get called, within a few minutes I get another page, then the operator at the hospital rings my cell phone to ask why I haven't answered the page yet. 9 times out of 10 it's something that could have waited, but I never know which it is. The beeper is hard to read in the car - especially when it's sunny - so usually I just speed-dial the operator and ask who just paged me and get connected that way.

It always looks to me like people talking on the phone in the car are driving like fools. Of course, I always think I'm driving just fine.:anxious: Honestly though, I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel like I had to. In some ways it would be better for me if the technology didn't exist. Then there would be no expectation that I have to answer immediately when I am called. I don't know what doctors used to do when they weren't always by a phone.
Alvin Eriol Wrote:Now, I'm picturing Leno or Letterman, or O'Brien, or somebody telling us about that story on their show, and informing us that he as a matter of fact knows someone who became infertile because of using his cell phone. It seems this guy took a call in a theatre and after about five minutes of talking, a big guy in the row ahead of him stood up, picked him up out of his seat, and emasculated him. :crown:

ROTFL!!!

It is so rude when around other people to start talking loudly on the cell. When somebody next to you starts talking in a public voice, it is natural to assume the person is talking to you and to turn around. I am embarrassed when this happens to me, and I give the person speaking into the phone a puzzled look. What I would like to do is to start talking loudly myself, but I don't have the nerve.

Almost always the person driving erratically is talking on a phone. The worst I've seen is the guy in front of me driving all over the place. When I finally had a chance to pass him, I glanced over, and he had a phone in one hand and a sub sandwich in the other that he was eating.

I really hate the phone being used during a concert or movie and also in a restaurant. It is called "Manner Mode"- when someone is in a public place the phone should be on vibrate. And when it is necessary to answer a phone in a restaurant or theater, then speak with a quiet voice. Your phone conversation should be private! Why would you want strangers to hear how the guy stood you up, or what Tiffany said in class yesterday. Our mothers taught us that there were public voices and private voices. When you speak with the person standing next to you, you hardly bellow out what you are saying- you lower your voice so that only she can hear. The same is true when using a phone in public, speak in a private voice.

Let's see. Driving while using a cell phone, using a cell phone in an inappropriate place, speaking in a loud voice on a cell phone... I have another cell phone gripe:

Don't leave your cell phone on "ring" in class! You wouldn't believe how often my adult classes are interupted by cell phones ringing. I have to remember before every class to ask people to put their phones on Manner Mode.

Thank you all for letting me vent about this. I know that people reading this already use good manners on cell phones, so it is preaching to the choir.

Captiang had a hilarious comment, too:
Quote:From my experiance, I find that talking on a cellphone is tough while driving, but sending text messages are much harder .
Arcadia, you have some bloody good points there. Those reading that should take heed if they have a tendency to do any of that.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CERN's time traveling would-be saboteur vanishes from cell Michael 0 1,073 November 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Michael
  new user zultanofzex 6 449 June 11th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Cell phone Marie 20 1,146 February 19th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Liriodendron