Are you addicted to the Internet ?
In a US survey, a group of scientist found that nearly 14% of the people suveyed said that they could not stay a way from the internet for extended periods of time. There are also many people adicted to the net who displayed behaviour very similar to that of alcoholics.

Read more at http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10322

Personaly I find this extreamly disturbing.
I'm not addicted to the internet. I can quit anytime I want to.
I do not find it too disturbing. Wink :fright: Periodic addiction seems like a basic human behavior pattern imo...(for me anyway) life is sort of a series of addictions....we naturally flit (and stick) from one thing that interests us to another.
I think the word addiction has been overused and abused.
Addiction susceptibilty seems to be a natural human variant from individual to individual. There will always be something .....radio was addictive....movies were addictive.....TV was addictive.
Modern humans have ample down time. I mean....we don't have to go out hunting, growing, and perserving our food anymore....we just work for $$ to buy it (often in front of a computer screen) :tongue: This is the age of the screen....we are all part of the screen generation....:wave: I suppose it could be worrysome....but at least the internet offers a world of possibilities to obsess over, bad AND good. Confusedo:
Yes, im 9-12 hours per day in my comp... I have no life:help:
I don't find it surprising. I'm rarely away from it for any amount of time, but I think that's become more of a cultural thing. The vast majority of people are online, and it's become one of the main tools for communication.

Still, I don't think I'd consider myself 'addicted' to the 'net, if I've got something else to do, it's generally out of my mind.
We don't have the internet at our house, and while sometimes it's annoying (for getting maps and directions, online banking, etc.) for the most part it's not missed at all. The majority of my internet-withdrawls are handled by my work-time.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
No, I'm not addicted to the Internet.

I'm addicted to the computer.

Wink
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
I could never get addicted to the internet until they redesign these computer setups. Looking at a computer screen that is up on a desk, thru the bottom part of my bifocal glasses destroys my neck in about 5 minutes. People that wear bifocals or reading glasses need a screen that is down...like a book. Ok...my time is done here....ow....Cry
I wasn't going to say anything until I read Lioriodendron's response.

So, what do you do, just tip your head back all the time? Because I can't figure out how to handle it, I usually just don't wear the glasses when I'm at the computer. It gives me a terrible headache. Hence, no addiction because I can't stay on for long. I guess that's a good thing!

When computer designers start hitting their forties & fifties maybe we'll get some kind of a screen that you can look down at. I don't know how it could work though with the keyboard there. Maybe it could go where my mouse pad is on my laptop...:question:
I'm not addicted for sure. I just have little else to do sometimes when my friends are busy.Confusedad:
gilthoniel Wrote:I wasn't going to say anything until I read Lioriodendron's response.

So, what do you do, just tip your head back all the time? Because I can't figure out how to handle it, I usually just don't wear the glasses when I'm at the computer. It gives me a terrible headache. Hence, no addiction because I can't stay on for long. I guess that's a good thing!

When computer designers start hitting their forties & fifties maybe we'll get some kind of a screen that you can look down at. I don't know how it could work though with the keyboard there. Maybe it could go where my mouse pad is on my laptop...:question:

Yeah...I tilt my head back...wrecks my neck....gives my chiropractor lots of $$. :mad: I was thinking....the next time I go to the optometrist, maybe I'll measure the distance from my eyes to my monitor, and have him make glasses just for that distance. I'd just keep them right at the computer.I really can't see anything without my glasses....close, far, or inbetween.

That's a pretty expensive fix though. I need to design my own computer desk, with lots of small tables. The screen needs to go down but tilted up....sunken in the middle, the keyboard up....in front of it
Have you considered getting a laptop, Liz? You can plunk that on your lap when sitting on the couch or summin. And you can adjust the screen so that it tilts right back.

Man... I haven't been here in an age - nice to see that I still recognise some people!
Oh, and I'm not addicted at ALL. :laugh:
:kitty: Yeah, right.....:laugh: HEH!:coffee:
My husband calls the laptop "his". :ohno:
Time for some good quality appropriation, then! Wink
Hmmm....addicted..
...hmmm..IF I AM addicted..
..hmm... it is a tough question to answer.

And they who are addicted often have problems to admite they are...
Hmm..I do not think I am.

But I have to confess..
..a life without internet would probably make me depressed.
I truely love what internet give me..
..all the informations I so easily can get..
..all the abilities to communicate with the world..
..all the experience and knowledge that add to my life..
..and bring me so much joy and make the everyday so much lighter
The truth is out there....hmmm..so I think I stay inside for a while...
My husband was offered three-way glasses, with the middle (?) portion for viewing the computer screen. You may want to check into glasses suitable for computer viewing.

Although I spend a great deal of time on the computer, it is because it is such a source of information and recreation. I talk with friends all over the world, and I have reference books at my fingertips. When we go on vacation, I don't miss the computer other than missing the ability to quickly look up answers to questions that arise, and of course I miss communicating with friends. But I don't find that I have withdrawal, so I'd say that I am not addicted, any more than I am addicted to TV or books.
Icould go days without the internet but there is so much I do use the net for that rarely one day passes without me accessing it.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Comic strips' take on internet fandom august 13 1,645 March 25th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: august
  After 21 years, internet trolls finally make the cover of Time Magazine august 4 986 September 3rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Interwebometry on the Future of the Internet Michael 0 401 July 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Scientists discover shocking news about internet posters... august 1 877 April 19th, 2014, 11:20 PM
  Forbes fails to understand the scope of Internet hackery Michael 0 687 February 13th, 2012, 12:31 AM
  Are obsessive fans ruining the internet? august 21 1,843 September 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Press Release - Recognize Safer Internet Day on February 9th Michael 0 608 February 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM
  Fired worker claims Internet addiction led to workplace sex chat, dismissal RobRoy 1 466 February 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Internet Relationships...do they work? Barbara Jones 18 1,785 December 20th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Lord Vader
  Internet music pirates made to pay up davedapunk 2 456 March 6th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Last Post: gaudior24601