Unfinished Tolkien work to be published in '07
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/09...index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- An unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring, the U.S. and British publishers announced Monday.

Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on "The Children of Hurin," an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of "The Children of Hurin," which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and other works, have been published before.
You beat me to it. Smile

This is something I've been hoping to see for 29 years myself. It will be interesting to see what editorial decisions Christopher Tolkien has made.
Me, too. I hope the results are happier than "The Fall of Doriath."

Angel
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
I suspect that CT will pick the best/his favorite/most harmonious with the rest of the Canon, and fill in with bits of his own, but, who knows? All we can do is hope for the best. Wink
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
I don't have anything to add to this thread as far as news, but I would like to say that, when I read the news that CT was going to publish a 'new' book, I immediately thought "Well, I'll know whether this is true or a hoax the next time I go check in."

And, as if I need to say it, I was right.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
Attalus Wrote:I suspect that CT will pick the best/his favorite/most harmonious with the rest of the Canon, and fill in with bits of his own, but, who knows? All we can do is hope for the best. Wink

I'm not sure Christopher Tolkien views his father's work in the context of a "canonical body of texts and non-canonical texts". Each work is separate and distinct, yet part of a greater whole, the so-called legendarium (not to invite another fruitless debate on what JRRT meant by that word).

This new book will, I think, present a complete story, unlike the fragments published in either The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales. I am hoping it will include "The Wanderings of Hurin", or at least material based on or derived from that work.

I would expect to also see some editorial notes, perhaps an extended foreword and maybe an appendix or two.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nazism, Arthurian myths, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien badlands 4 436 April 29th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Tolkien a racist? badlands 2 318 April 27th, 2022, 02:42 PM
  What did Tolkien mean? badlands 2 426 April 17th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien Publications bilbobaggins764 0 242 March 30th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Priscilla Tolkien has sailed away to the undying lands. badlands 3 389 March 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Is Tolkien anti- religious? badlands 3 488 February 24th, 2022, 06:39 PM
  Tolkien memes badlands 2 304 February 23rd, 2022, 11:35 PM
Star Tolkien and sex badlands 2 452 February 23rd, 2022, 11:32 PM
  Tolkien fun facts badlands 1 282 January 26th, 2022, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tumblr blog trolls Tolkien fans Michael 2 688 May 7th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Last Post: badlands