Santa Barbara OKs Housing Aid for Folks Making Up to $160,000 a Year
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
That's nearly three times what my wife and I make, and nobody's giving us a handout.

I understand that housing costs vary tremendously with location, but, living fairly close to Boston, not exactly a cheap neighborhood, I'm shocked that any government is considering aid to people making about four times that national average.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
One of my past significant others tried to persuade me to move to LA or nearby. I saw less-than-2000 sf houses in Long Beach and just inland of Venice Beach on lots that could be called "yards" because the siding was about 36 inches from the property line, selling for around 800 grand or more (this was in the late 1990's). Ugh.

Who is paying for these handouts, and why? Why should people who can't afford to be in a given place live there? Often these arrangements amount to the taxpayers at large subsidizing the housing of medium-to-low-paid employees of local business and the very wealthy, freeing those employers from paying enough for the employees to afford to live there. And while I understand much of CA (esp. southern) has some serious land-availability issues, what with so much of it being vertical and/or desert, I understand the state and many localities make land artificially more scarce and expensive than it otherwise would be.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I prefer to let the free market do its magic.

If only the wealthy can live somewhere, then only the wealthy can be around to work there, so trophy wives will be serving at Starbucks, prep-school kids will be picking onions on their summer vacations, MBAs will be working as school janitors.

Six months of that, and sombody will start builing affordable housing. Which will need to be built by Dot Com billionaires, since construction workers can't afford to live within a reasonable commute.

And CA wonders why so many people live there illegally.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:And CA wonders why so many people live there illegally.

We don't wonder, we know! They want all the good CEO, accountant, lawyer and doctor positions.

But ultimately, they want to direct! :drink:
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Disney park and making roller coasters trains for the diable badlands 0 278 January 17th, 2022, 11:49 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: Making Protein from Carbon Dioxide Michael 1 521 September 11th, 2021, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Making vegan bacon from mushrooms Michael 0 335 April 20th, 2021, 08:52 PM
  Video: Judy the Elf's Hot Cocoa from 'The Santa Clause' Michael 0 361 December 22nd, 2020, 09:38 PM
  Disney making Tv Movies for bored kids badlands 2 591 April 24th, 2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: august
  DARPA moving closer toward 100-year starship program Michael 0 444 October 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
  Taylor Swift - Entertainer of the year missferal 0 906 November 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Last Post: missferal
  Eight bad tech habits to quit in the new year RobRoy 7 737 January 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Dixieberry
  Goening making a t.v series about when Bart grows up? badlands 5 822 January 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Nicole Kidman: 'Making more films just doesn't interest me' RobRoy 4 1,345 January 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Last Post: august