Drom Cast at Dragon Con
I've never been to a con, so bear with me. You have to pay to get autographs? When you pay is that for one autograph or did Kevin sign all that stuff on the one $30 payment? Why do they charge for autographs?
For some people it's a big source of income. (A lot of has-beens and once-weres do these things - the original Boomer from Galactica is at a lot of these things; a lot are only in the autograph area and never on stage - maybe they just rent the table/booth space! I wish I knew more about that, whether they're paid to be there or get travel/hotel or what...) You pay for each separate autograph. On your own item or on one of the photos the person has with them. I have no idea whether the celebs pocket the money or donate it to their charities, and it probably varies by individual.

The Tulsa con and Creation cons include one autograph (same deal - your item or one of their photos) in the price of the ticket - the higher priced tickets, not with general admission. You can ususally buy extra autographs. The cons with lower priced tickets, like D*C and most things billed as "autograph events" presumably don't pay the guests as much (well, I don't know about D*C since it's HUGE) and you pay for every autograph. I'm guessing there, but it's the higher priced cons that tend to include one autograph.

Some people love to collect autographed publicity photos from everyone and it's almost their reason for going. It's what makes the LondonExpo (a "signing event" and related events so popular. As I said, I prefer to have a treasured item (like the belt) or a photo I've taken signed. To each their own.

Themis
Rayhana Wrote:I've never been to a con, so bear with me. You have to pay to get autographs? When you pay is that for one autograph or did Kevin sign all that stuff on the one $30 payment? Why do they charge for autographs?

When actors go to conventions they are technically working they get paid appearances fees and autograph quotas and all kinds of things like air fares and accomodations, per diems and transports etc the convention people then charge a ticket price to get in and also an autograph price to cover all the costs with running such an event and paying their guests. Unless they have a contract with the actor that gives them an autograph guarentee.
That means the organisers guarentee the actor so many autograph sales and if they dont make quota the organisers have to make up the difference.
Usually prices are rated by the popularity or rarity of the actor. $30.00 per autographed item is pretty standard for most actors.
Most places charge the same fee if you buy their photos or have something of your own signed.
There are all kinds of variations on autograph and photo policies depending on who is running the convention, but they all cost money.
All actors get paid to be at conventions and unless otherwise stated keep what they earn. The difference being if they attend auctions the money made there usually goes to their nominated charity

Hope that helps
Cheers
Stripe
[SIZE="2"]The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams[/SIZE]
Have mercy, so if you get 4 things signed you pay for each, ie $120. Oh my, that does get pricey!!! Now, if you buy one of the photos the person has brought they sign it without any extra charge, right? Good grief these things can get really expensive, now I understand what folks mean when they say they don't have the funds to attend such a thing. I suspect too, if you don't pay for an authograph or something, you don't get to get up close to the celeb and say "hi" do you?

Oh and thanks to both Themis and Stripe for the explanations, this is all very interesting and very educational. I've had thoughts of going to MegaCon in Feb in Orlando, now I have a better idea what to expect price wise. HA
Rayhana Wrote:Have mercy, so if you get 4 things signed you pay for each, ie $120. Oh my, that does get pricey!!! Now, if you buy one of the photos the person has brought they sign it without any extra charge, right? Good grief these things can get really expensive, now I understand what folks mean when they say they don't have the funds to attend such a thing. I suspect too, if you don't pay for an authograph or something, you don't get to get up close to the celeb and say "hi" do you?

Yes it can get quite costly ...if you purchase a photo from the guest at $30.00 the autograph comes with it... if you take something of your own to be signed the fee is still $30.00 for each item to be signed.

You can still go up and say Hi to an actor but only if your willing to stand in a line and then usually its very short because the handlers will move you on because paying customers get priority....same goes for taking candid shots of the actor and you ...usually if you buy something from them they will allow you a photo with them that all depends on how the actor is feeling and what the handlers will allow as per the actors contract.
Ive been working at conventions and expos for almost 8 years now and I usually manage the autographing areas with the guests and a lot of actors can be very demanding in what they want and will allow and others are easy going. But in the end it all revolves around money.

Cheers
Stripe
[SIZE="2"]The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams[/SIZE]
Last year at D*C, the actors charged for photos with - in several cases, including Kevin's, for that con, at least, they said the money went to Katrina relief. This year Kevin wasn't charging for a photo with if you bought an autograph (maybe that's why the autographs were $30 instead of $20 this year!). Rooney charged for both. Since I didn't get a photo with anyone else, I don't know what individual policies were - you might ask over at the Bacic forum as most got photos with him. Someone who was in the area on the other side of a partition at the fan club meet with Kevin asked him for a photo with after the group photo (I think she almost ended up taking the group photo but it worked out with someone in the group, I think) and he obliged her. She saved a fee that way!

Some guests allow candids while they're signing, just at the table, not necessarily signing for you; some absolutely do not permit it (I remember one person claiming all the flashes were too much, which could be!). At the LondonExpo, they just charged for autographs and not for photos from the side of the booth - Kevin anyway. You'd both lean halfway over the table and smile for the camera! They also had a professional setup with a background and charged for those photos. The Wolf con had the pro set-up and did not allow cameras in the room for private photos during autographs. Tulsa had started to do the pro thing; I think maybe Creation's doing that now too but don't remember as they weren't at the last one of theirs I attended. Seems like I've seen photo ops listed for their cons. Tulsa and Creation wave you on quickly and make the whole experience like an assembly line - taking the item from you, handing it to the guest, etc. But the guest is signing only for a few specific hours, not off and on during the whole weekend like D*C. Some cons don't allow personalization - silly, really, as most of those probably end up on e-bay. Kevin's great - he's happy to pose, allows candids, usually personalizes - though I have a couple from Creation cons that he didn't - (he asked if I wanted the belt personalized - I said yes, it was for me, I wasn't going to put it on e-bay!). Others aren't so gracious. Kevin always sees the person he's signing for; some barely look up if they look up at all. I wonder why some don't just say "no" to autographs! You get more chances at catching someone at a less busy time when they're signing throughout the event instead of just at specific times.

Most vendors take plastic, but the individual guests and their handlers are only equipped to take cash.

At D*C on Sunday I noticed Kate Vernon at the Gallactica tables with nobody around so was able to go up to her and ask about Last Chance. The Kevin Smith autograph I mentioned above was a Creation event where one autograph was included in the gold ticket price. I got a few others of the Herc cast the same way; Smith and Hurst are the only ones I would've paid for if it had been extra. (Hurst I'd managed to get a photo from the cabaret printed before his autograph time so I had something of my own.) At Tulsa, they have people signing at booths who aren't speakers - most of them have photo selections at their tables that include an autograph. Most of the featured guests you need to buy or bring something to have signed - there are plenty of vendors around selling photos. Creation, too, as I recall. So you need to find out the particular situation at the particular event!

D*C doesn't list prices in advance - it may be somewhat up to the individual. Creation does and Tulsa does for those who want extras or don't buy the included-with tickets. The site for the con should say if there's a set price or if at least one autograph is included in the ticket price. Otherwise assume it'll be $20 or $30 per.

More than you ever wanted to know??

Themis
Dragoncon is a bit different from those such as Creation. They don't pay their guests. The big name stars will get airfare, hotel, meals etc paid for and some may get a fee (not typically paid for by D*C however). I was trying to find the email sent out to the list explaining all this but I can't remember which list it was on. Most guests (other than the big name stars) also have to fill out an appication to D*C. Those accepted will have either some or all of their travel related expenses (hotel meals etc) paid for. For many, the only income they made at D*C are from autographs and/or photos.

Those guests who have a contract with D*C are required to do one panel per day (on the days they are there). The rest of the time they're free to do whatever, hang out in the Walk of Fame collecting money for their signatures on a piece of paper or whatever. LOL
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
WOW, thanks everyone, you've certainly educated me on the whole 'con' thing. Smile
CJ~ Wrote:Dragoncon is a bit different from those such as Creation. They don't pay their guests. The big name stars will get airfare, hotel, meals etc paid for and some may get a fee (not typically paid for by D*C however).

Really??? They sure get a lot of folk and some big names for not paying them a fee! Hope you remember where you got that info, though I'm not doubting, and that would explain the low ticket prices for such a massive event! And the guests who do it and encourage others from their shows to do it must love it! So who would pay the fee??? Fortunately Atlanta is a major airport with great connections so it should be fairly easy to arrange flights and get advance booking bargains. D*C may get rates on Delta. So those who are there just signing (which always includes a few people I'm not sure have worked since their claim to "fame"!) might have to pay their own air?

You can always get a little not-so-close semi-personal time by asking a question during a panel - if you get called on! Kevin usually gets into questions right away, no long monologue first, and most of the others do as well. Too bad those aren't done like talk show q/a's where you identify yourself before asking the question! Always try to have a question and hope nobody else asks it first!

Themis
Gee,there's more to this con thing than I thought! Thanks for the education,CJ & Themis-you two should have a PH.D in this!
Rhonda
member,OIKSFC
Kevin-#1
"what the world needs now is love"
Found it. It was on the Stargate list.

Quote:The deciding factor is likely if the Special Guest made it through the DC selection process. If they did they are offered tickets, a room and sometimes a per diem.
If they are a really big deal then they may merit a special consideration and that can vary by agent/guest but usually amounts to a contract promise of XX dollars whether that is from DC or its fans. Erin Grey, as an agent, was very firm on this point in contract negotiations and not willing to budge even sorta.

If they did not make the DC selection process ( like JCB ) and want to come anyway...DC will get them table space and assist them with details but...effectively they are just fans at that point.Pat may or may not even comp a badge for them. If they are a 'big-deal' then they likely will get a badge comp...but not two or three kind of a thing.

I never did find the email that said sometimes fees are paid for by the show itself (or production company or whatever) trying to get its stars out there to promote.
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
Interesting! Thanks. Hey, I didn't even know Erin Grey was an agent, but I don't exactly follow her career - like her when I see her though. Well, we can be sure Tribune never paid for any Drom stars to appear anywhere!!!
I have to step up for the Tulsa Trek Expo here.
Sometimes they have to move things along but if the star allows pics with them then they do it. Kevin is one and you couldn't keep Bruce Campbell from playing. Smile He is famous for holding up the line!

And actually Skeezix and I was corraled at D*C this year when we were in line for pics/sigs for SG and Atlantis stars. I almost growled at the woman pushing fans into lines. GGRRR!! Ding bat lady! Even the stars assistants were scowling at her.

D*C was a blast and I hope next year we can get our group to meet at least once during the 4 days. Smile

Enjoy!
^Calico^ :paw:
^Calico^ :paw:
Calico's Big Cats Page
I remember having enough time to say what I wanted to say at Tulsa. I generally wasn't interested in leaning over to get a photo with anyone in the autograph line, but I was able to get one of Rhys and Laura. And I know the Tyr brigade were able to get a group photo with him - was it after he finished signing? Anyway, it happened.

Themis
Themis Wrote:I remember having enough time to say what I wanted to say at Tulsa. I generally wasn't interested in leaning over to get a photo with anyone in the autograph line, but I was able to get one of Rhys and Laura. And I know the Tyr brigade were able to get a group photo with him - was it after he finished signing? Anyway, it happened.

Themis

THEMIS can you please contact me about props from Kull The conqueror movie!

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for Netflix's "Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight" Michael 1 123 June 23rd, 2022, 04:27 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: Cast on the set of Warehouse 13 give an interview Michael 0 259 July 4th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The Dragon Prince on NetFlix badlands 0 381 September 18th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Doctor Who Video: "500 Miles" with full cast and crew Michael 0 538 September 17th, 2018, 07:03 PM
  Video: Supergirl Cast Facebook video from San Diego Comic Con 2017 FilmGuy 0 508 July 23rd, 2017, 12:08 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Video: Panel discussion with Walking Dead cast at San Diego Comic Con 2017 FilmGuy 0 491 July 22nd, 2017, 03:09 PM
  Video: Twin Peaks cast at San Diego Comic Con 2017 FilmGuy 1 465 July 22nd, 2017, 02:45 PM
  Video: The BBC Catches Up with the Cast of "Blake's 7" FilmGuy 0 383 January 26th, 2014, 11:20 AM
  "Falling Skies" Season 2, Episode 3, "Compass", Cast and Info Michael 0 901 June 24th, 2012, 10:51 PM
  "Falling Skies" Season 2, Episode 2 "Shall We Gather at the River" Cast and Info Michael 0 747 June 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM