Book 6 Who is R.A.B???
Niphredil Wrote:Where did you find that Regulus' middle name is Alphard? I don't recall reading it in the books, nor seeing it on any of the fansites I frequent.
It likely comes from the Black family tree, the uncle of Regulus and Sirius. But you are correct, though a family name, this is not confirmed.

Speaking of dear Uncle Alphard, I'm going to, most likely erroneously, state that I do not believe R.A.B. to be Sirius' younger brother Regulus. Instead, I believe the author of the note to be Uncle Alphard Black who left Sirius money and Grimauld Place.

I have nothing to truly support this, except that Alphard seems a more likely candidate to have harmed Voldemort than Regulus. Alphard, like Sirius, had his name blasted from the Black family tree, which suggests that like Sirius, he had a great falling out with the family. Regulus' name (IIRC) remained on the tapestry. Alphard's removal from the tree could, quite easily, have come from his opposition to Voldemort, or, as I surmise, his betrayal of Voldemort.

Again, nothing to really support this, but I'm willing to go out on the limb and have it crack underneath me just for the sake of falling.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:It likely comes from the Black family tree, the uncle of Regulus and Sirius. But you are correct, though a family name, this is not confirmed.

Speaking of dear Uncle Alphard, I'm going to, most likely erroneously, state that I do not believe R.A.B. to be Sirius' younger brother Regulus. Instead, I believe the author of the note to be Uncle Alphard Black who left Sirius money and Grimauld Place.

I have nothing to truly support this, except that Alphard seems a more likely candidate to have harmed Voldemort than Regulus. Alphard, like Sirius, had his name blasted from the Black family tree, which suggests that like Sirius, he had a great falling out with the family. Regulus' name (IIRC) remained on the tapestry. Alphard's removal from the tree could, quite easily, have come from his opposition to Voldemort, or, as I surmise, his betrayal of Voldemort.

Again, nothing to really support this, but I'm willing to go out on the limb and have it crack underneath me just for the sake of falling.

An interesting alternative.

For Regulus, we have the argument that: {1} he was a Death Eater who repented joining LV who {2} is dead at LV's hand or on his order and {3} is connected to Grimauld Place, where we all saw that locket no one could open.

Alphred is likewise connected to Grimauld Place.

However, we don't know of any connection to LV.

But that he is dead and also blasted off the tapestry are good clues.
RobRoy Wrote:It likely comes from the Black family tree, the uncle of Regulus and Sirius. But you are correct, though a family name, this is not confirmed.

An interesting alternative.

For Regulus, we had two of three matching initials {with the thrid, Alphred, being the proper missing middle name}.

For Alphred, we also have two of three matching initials, and he may have had a first name starting with "R".

Both have a connection to Grimauld Place, where we saw that "locket no one could open".

Both are dead; but Alphred is blasted off the tapestry, denoting disfavor among the Dark Wizards.

But for Alphred, we have no known connection to LV, where as Regulus was a Death Eater who repented his choice, and was said to have been killed by, or on the order of, LV for 'turning'.

Either fits.

But I didn't get the impression that Regulus was a mature, powerful wizard. So perhaps he would not have been able to thwart LV's protections?

But, how would Alphred's disaffection to LV have been known? Hmmm. Well, there's lots about the older generation we don't know.
Perhaps Regulus was a family name and was Alphred's real first name. It isn't farfetched that names would run in the family and that some members with the same first name would be called by their middle name instead. Or even that middle names would be a family name. Perhaps both were named Regulus Alphred Black, with one called Regulus and one called Alphred. I am thinking this could be the case, after having read RR and Darq Ali's posts.
It is a good theory. I'm still waiting to hear where it is stated that "Alphred" is Regulus' middle name. It's not stated in the book anywhere. Is this just fan speculation or something confirmed by JKR? But still, a good theory. Names do run in families. My middle name is a family name, and there are plenty of families where father/sons, mothers/daughters, etc. have the same names. It could work... Plus, it gets bonus points for orginality. So many people have guessed that Regulus is R.A.B. that I will be disappointed if that actually turns out to be the case.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
GamgeeFest, on my part it is pure speculation.
Darq Ali Wrote:But for Alphred, we have no known connection to LV, where as Regulus was a Death Eater who repented his choice, and was said to have been killed by, or on the order of, LV for 'turning'.

Nopers, no known connection at all, and as you say, we have very little information about that generation.

The problem that I have with Regulus is that he was stated to have never grown to any great level within Voldemort's ranks. That doesn't mean he couldn't have found out about the horcrux, but it does render the possibility less likely. Sirius notes that he later tried to break with Voldemort and the Death Eaters, but this did not earn him a blasting from the tapestry.
So, something more had to be done by an individual in order to receive the removal from the Black family tree.

Sirius was removed because he didn't hold with the concepts of "pure blood" and the other platforms on which Voldemort rose to power and opposed him.

Uncle Alphard was also blasted from the family tree for, as I recall, supporting Sirius, who was against Voldemort. That's the nearest connection I can come up with. The link here is tenuous, but if he supported Sirius against Voldemort and thus earned his burn mark, it may be that he did more than just support Sirius, but actively worked against Voldemort, and thus found the horcrux.

This would fit with R.A.B.'s message contents and specifically the certainty that "I know I will be dead long before you read this . . ."

And, as I write this, this just occured to me, Regulus may not have been within Voldemort's notice, so the signature, intended to tell Voldemort who it was that opposed him, might have meant nothing to him. However, the head of an old wizarding family, one known to have sympathies toward Voldemort, is much more likely to be identified by Voldemort via initials only. <shrug>

But, again, all tenuous at best, and no support whatsoever. Simple theorizing on my part.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I like the Uncle Alphrad theory

I thought he was blasted off because he gave money to sirus(is that right if not who did it)
Also this would keep jk trickery alive
Looking at the passage in OOT Pheonix about the Tapestry of the Black Lineage,

It says, Uncle Alphred left Sirius a good bit of money, which is 'probably why' he is blasted off the Tapestry.

Also missing is the third of the Black sisters. Bellatrix and Narcissa are there, but their sister, Andromeda is missing, blasted off; because she marred a Muggle.

Ted Tonks; this Andromeda is {the young Auror} Tonks' mother.

Andromeda Black. A.B. A member of the Black family, sister of Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix, followers of LV; who had access to Grimauld Place.

Hmmm. Another candidate!

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New (ish) book [No spoilers please] Irene 4 726 October 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Rupert Grint interview in new Harry Potter poster book Michael 0 683 May 29th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Michael
  JK has new pre-HP book tigercat 1 1,159 June 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Fantasy
  J.K. Rowling Finishes Her First Post-"Harry Potter" Book RobRoy 5 2,308 April 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Fantasy
  Anyone noticed all the Crazy Book seven Spoilers? AJ786 14 1,437 August 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Last Post: AJ786
  AP article about possible deaths in last book Arcadia 9 914 July 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  Happy Potter and the (7th book title) CJ~ 93 4,955 June 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Last Post: AJ786
  Hefty final Harry Potter book will go easy on trees RobRoy 1 741 March 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Niphredil
  The 7th book - what will happen? Galafre 1 584 January 21st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  JK Rowling spoiler for 7th and final HP book CJ~ 14 1,107 August 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dragonlord