Book 6 Who is R.A.B???
I think thats a mistake in the movie...I think
Uh, we don't have a movie of book 6 yet, last one I know of was Goblet of Fire, which is, um, four? -Sorceror's Stone, {1}, -Chamber of Secrets, {2}, -Prisoner of Azkaban, {3}, -Goblet of Fire, {4}, -Order of the Pheonix, {5}, and -Half Blood Prince, {6}. All titles proceeded by "Harry Potter and the ....." of course.

The finding of the Locket in the lake, which was not the Horcrux LV had hidden there, which contained the note signed "R.A.B.", was in Half Blood Prince. No movie yet, they're wrapping up Order of the Pheonix just now, I think.

The note says the speaker expects to be dead; and the speaker refers to themselves as "I". Not, "we".

Yes, a group of people can term themselves by one name. One person may have replaced the real horcrux, or, more than one person may have been there, managing to thwart the magic of the lake/boat. But that isn't the way the clues point.

Regulus Black was a Death Eater who repented joining LV, and who was killed when he wanted to get out. So, he fits, having two of the initials {many people are refered to by their first and last name only, and he could have the middle initial "A"}; having been close to LV so as to know about the Horcrux form "inside information"; and he is reported to have been killed not long after he "turned". For him to be a rebel who defied LV, stole the locket Horcrux, and to have expected to die soon after - it all fits.

Which does not mean this is the correct guess. Only that all the clues we've been given fit. And we don't have any other more likely candidate.
Sory,I made a mistake.Anyway,I think its someone that works for Voldrmort.I mean R stands for Redlof,dosent it....
Right, "R" can stand for any name starting with "R".

Assuming there is but one person, who uses "I" to show us there is but one, they are a person whose first and last initials are "R" and "B" and whose middle initial is "A".

Again, we know of a Pureblood Wizarding family whose last initial is "B" {the Blacks} and we know of a Wizard of that name whose first initial is "R" {Regulus}, who was a Death Eater, who "turned" from LV's service, and who was {supposed to have been} killed for that ........... Sirius' brother.

We know too that Dumbledore says that the Order can hide people by faking their deaths ........... he told Draco that the Order would hide and protect him and his mother, and his father too, come to that!

So, one line of speculation is, "R.A.B." is Regulus Black, who is a known Death Eater who repented, and who is "presumed dead" ..................

Again, "Amilia Bones" is another Wizarding person with two of the three initials provided in the note. She's dead at LV's hand, too. But she doesn't fit in any other way, as she was not known to be a Death Eater and is but recently dead.

We must wait to learn what JKR says on the matter, but, those are the guesses we've got so far.
Also with the "Group Thoery" The Centaurs also called Voldemort (i think) and, just guessing. "Ronan And Bane. they might not be dead but they may have thought that they might have died. also, using thier "centaur magic" they could have crossed the "evil river" to get to the horcrux. Im probably wrong but im just throwing it out there.

When i was reading No. 1 Book in the Forbidden forest chapter the Phrase/Sentance/Group of these words kept on coming up.
"Who is this guy"
"Tank Man? does that sound right? Tank man?"
"Here comes Tank Man, just tankin around town."
Among others speculated to be "R.A.B." are various House Elves, too; and some also speculate that the House Elf, Creature, was forced by Regulus Black to aid in the retrieving of the real Horcrux locket, and that was how "R.A.B." managed the feat {Creature drank the poison potion, which didn't kill him, being a magical creature; but it drove him mad} which only Harry and Dumbledore were able to duplicate {getting past all the safegards of the cavern, including two riding in the boat and the necessity of drinking the poison potion; retrieving what was hidden there}.

My guess would be that "R.A.B." would be a single person, and a wizarding person, not another type of magical creature. If it were Regulus, it is no problem to speculate also that he may have forced Creature to aid him, that fits.

Sure, centaurs are magical creatures, and some oppose LV. But Ronan and Bane are not of one mind on that; we never see centaurs leaving Hogwarts' grounds, nor yet even the forest, save Firenze {expelled by the others for his aid to Harry and Dumbledore, his willingness to act against LV's interests, which actions the others oppose}; and their brief appearance {at a distance} to honor Dumbledore after the funeral. Otherwise, we never see any Centaur outside the Forbidden Forest; it is very difficult to see them finding that cavern, rowing the lake in a boat, and so forth; and it has been made clear, the Centaurs as a group {apart from Firenze}, seek to understand what fate is in store for Potterverse, but are dead set against acting to shape future events. [They seem much like the Ents of Middle Earth, hidden forest dwellers of great power, known by most only as legends or myths, who almost never leave their secret forest dwellings, who observe the events of the greater world but almost always decline to participate in them .........].

We have no indication that any Centaur has knowledge of LV's Horcurx plans, nor hiding places; for so far, only Dumbledore seems to have known much about that issue, and he seems to have imparted only to Harry the totality of what he put together on the subject from many different sources. Clearly, LV's many minions are not all fully informed on most aspects of his activities, but some do know something .......... so, it makes the most sense that R.A.B. would come, not from people or creatures we've met "on the Good Side", but rather, from among LV's own camp. R.A.B. fits that criteria, where as Ronan and Bane, or Amelia Bones {as examples} don't. Whoever stole the Locket Horcrux had to know there were Horcurx objects to begin with, and also, where that one was. That points to someone "on the inside of" LV's camp, not an outside enemy.

Of course, this is JKR's story to tell. If she says "R.A.B." is Ronan And Bane, so be it. But then, they are acting as a pair, but writing as "I", which is pretty strange.

And then there is the locket clue to add in. In Grimould Place, Regulus Black's home, there was found a strange locket which no one could open .......... and "R.A.B." took the locket, the real Horcrux Locket, from the lake. If that isn't the Locket at Grimould Place, then neither we, nor Harry, has one clue where to seek that Horcrux. But if R.A.B. is Sirius Black's brother, then not only Harry, but Ron and Hermionie, have already seen and handled that lost Horcrux. So, R.A.B. fits best.

Of course, we have but to wait and we'll all know.

As for "being dead": Of course, whoever left the note was alive when they wrote it. They expected to die, and soon, as they penned that note. What happened after that is unknown to us at this time. I keep coming back to Dumbledore's repeated reference to hiding people "who are dead" {to the knowledge of LV; and the rest of the world, too}; and the earlier assertion of Luna, who insisted that Sirius Black was 'hidden' as 'Stubby Boardman', who played in a band. Is Regulus Black actually dead? Or, hidden? [JKR has said, he is dead, I know that.]

But, Harry has lost so many adults. His parents, so early he does not even really remember them. Sirius. Dumbledore. Only Hagrid and Lupin remain of close adults who were well acquainted with his parents and one may well suspect their days are numbered, too. Should Sirius surface, brother of his Godfather, perhaps he could be an emotional anchor for Harry? A man not unlike Sirius, who has had many years in hiding to exorcize his deamons {which Sirius never could}? Hmmm That would work for me.

Though JKR seems to want Harry to become The Lone Ranger now, at the end ..........
Just throwing this out there as another possibility to chew on until July: what about one of the shop keepers of Borgin and Burkes from CoS? We met Mr. Borgin already, so he fits the 'minor character who comes back to play a major role' cred. As a proprieter of a Dark Arts shop, he would know all about dark magic, and therefore would know how to overcome the obstacles in the cave where the locket was. We don't know that he was a Death Eater, but then we don't know that he wasn't one either.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
An interesting choice.

Do we know any name other than the last name?

One of the two is dead, while one still runs the shop, right?
I don't recall. I'm just rereading the books to refresh my memory for book 7, and I'm looking out for any names that might fit the initials as I go along.

Mr. Borgin first appears in CoS, which I just finished reading, and there's no mention of the other shop owner in that book.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Then it is Burkes who is dead; as we learned that one was dead, I think, in the 6 th book; when Dumbledore tells Harry that Tom Riddle went to work at Borgen & Burkes.

So, do we know Burkes' first and middle name? Could this person be "R.A.B.'?We are, I presume, supposed to think 'R.A.B' is dead, aren't we? That is, the person who left the note in the fake Horcrux locket said they presumed they would be dead, by the time someone read the note ...........

If R.A.B. is not dead, then it could also be Borgen.
Tom Riddle worked at Borkin and Burkes? I had forgotten that also. That's an interesting connection, which gives the theory a bit more cred.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Yes, he applied for a job at Hogwarts and was turned down, and I think ....... the Ministry too?

Every one had expected such great things of Tom Riddle, and then he took a job at Borgen and Burkes, and everyone thought it a comedown from his great promise while Head Boy at Hogwarts.

But there he met the barmy old witch who had purchased the heirloom Slythern Locket, and also had inherited the Hufflepuff Cup. And may have sought other heirloom artifacts to make into other Horcrux.

Remember too, that it is at Borgen and Burkes that the second pair of the Vanishing Cabinets resides. The one that makes the passage into Hogwarts, that Draco used to admit the Death Eaters. How did that come to be? Was Tom Riddle responsible for putting that passage into place? Did he use it, perhaps to secret Horcrux at Hogwarts?

Among the things I have listed as possible Horcrux items are his Cup and Plaque which reside in the Trophy Room at Hogwarts. And among the places I have suggested as hiding places for Horcrux objects is Hogwarts Castle, in such places as the Room of Requirement, the Sylthern Common Room, and the Trophy Room.

So having worked at Borgen and Burkes and having access to that passage would have been very good for ole' Tom.

And of course, though Borgen and Burkes dealt in Dark Objects, they may not have altogether apporove of Tom Riddle's extremes ..............

Yeah, this is a good fit ..........
I doubt its anyone Dumbledore knew personally. He is wise enough and smart enough to figure things like that out. However, maybe rab isn't a name but more of a nickname of a person like prongs or padfoot. Another thing is when harry sees Karakov trial he says he knows name of certain people. If he was a death eater(which he was) wouldn't he know all their names having been in the central circle. Maybe they gave nicknames to the DE's and people lower down on Lv chain of command so in real life they wouldn't be betrayed?
and going with the creature thing maybe someone brought a house elf or goblin along with and bewitched them into forgetting so he put "I" because the other would never remember.like gilderoy lockhart get it Locket lock hart
couple of my theories
Garbo008 Wrote:I doubt its anyone Dumbledore knew personally. He is wise enough and smart enough to figure things like that out.

Well, that's the fun of betrayal. It only works if you trusted the person. :bg:

Quote:However, maybe rab isn't a name but more of a nickname of a person like prongs or padfoot.

Definately could be.

Quote:Another thing is when harry sees Karakov trial he says he knows name of certain people. If he was a death eater(which he was) wouldn't he know all their names having been in the central circle. Maybe they gave nicknames to the DE's and people lower down on Lv chain of command so in real life they wouldn't be betrayed?

In an organization based on distrust, betrayal and disloyalty, I would think that only one person knew all those involved, and he was certainly not going to give the keys to the house and the combination to the liquor cabinet to anyone.

Quote:and going with the creature thing maybe someone brought a house elf or goblin along with and bewitched them into forgetting so he put "I" because the other would never remember.like gilderoy lockhart get it Locket lock hart
couple of my theories

This could work. Also, with a house elf, the owner would only have to order them to never reveal. That would pretty much take care of that, as figuring out which house elf it was would be as tricky as figuring out where the horcruxes were to begin with.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
At first i was guessing pretty much what everyone else guessed which was regulus but then i thought they were fake clues because jk is very tricky like that. Now i back to regulus becuase of the initials, the locket that can't be opened, the fact he tried to get away from the DE's (interesting thing about that i believe sirus said something like "my brother regulus tried to get out and LV killed him or more likely someone else did on his orders i doubt he was ever important enough to be killed by Lv himself" which if he did take the locket he probably was killed by lv himself) and the fact that kreachers crazy (sirius said he probably went crazy after years of listening to his mom's poster but what if it was from drinking the potion?
oh and almost forgot i think the ronan and bane thoery is bogus for two reasons one they stick to themselves and stay in their forest and two Centuars are big how many times have you heard of a horse in a paddle boat nonetheless two horses in paddle boat
Garbo008 Wrote:oh and almost forgot i think the ronan and bane thoery is bogus for two reasons one they stick to themselves and stay in their forest and two Centuars are big how many times have you heard of a horse in a paddle boat nonetheless two horses in paddle boat

Sounds like a joke:

Ok, there are these two horses in a paddle boat, stop me if you've heard this one . . . :bounce:
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
hahahaha thats good i knew it would sound wierd the minute i said it but hey its true
Regulus Alphard Black to answer the question. This is, of course, speculation, but JK did acknowledge it and this is Regulus's middle name. I think it fits.
Where did you find that Regulus' middle name is Alphard? I don't recall reading it in the books, nor seeing it on any of the fansites I frequent.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New (ish) book [No spoilers please] Irene 4 545 October 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Rupert Grint interview in new Harry Potter poster book Michael 0 596 May 29th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Michael
  JK has new pre-HP book tigercat 1 1,080 June 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Fantasy
  J.K. Rowling Finishes Her First Post-"Harry Potter" Book RobRoy 5 2,214 April 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Fantasy
  Anyone noticed all the Crazy Book seven Spoilers? AJ786 14 1,322 August 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Last Post: AJ786
  AP article about possible deaths in last book Arcadia 9 824 July 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  Happy Potter and the (7th book title) CJ~ 93 4,352 June 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Last Post: AJ786
  Hefty final Harry Potter book will go easy on trees RobRoy 1 657 March 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Niphredil
  The 7th book - what will happen? Galafre 1 551 January 21st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  JK Rowling spoiler for 7th and final HP book CJ~ 14 990 August 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dragonlord