The Oldies
I was listening to Nik Kershaw's "The Riddle" (my old favourite!) , and realised.... that it's been 23 years.... since I first heard the song at 8 years old...

Is it now technically, an "Oldie" song?

I'm getting old....
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
I don't recall hearing "The Riddle;" the only Nik Kershaw number from the '80's I recall is "Wouldn't It Be Good." Since at the time I was working at my 1st real job out of college, which was turning to compost on me, it seemed oddly ironically appropriate.

How do you define "Oldie?" No longer getting "heavy rotation" on the pop music stations? That would be nearly anything over 6 mo.s old. OTOH "oldies" could be music from before current young adults, or at least teens, were born or old enough to remember what they heard on the radio. When I was a teenager, in the 1970's, there was a big '50's nostalgia kick, probably due in part to American Graffiti and the Happy Days TV show. The '50's was just before our time. There seemed to be a stab at '60's nostalgia in the '90's, but it didn't catch on as strongly IMO. In any event our "classic rock" stations have that period covered, musicwise.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
"Oldies" are generally limited to the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Many "Classic Rock" stations now play stuff from the late 80s/early 90s now, though.
It's pretty horrific when stuff you remember as new rock starts showing up on the oldies station.

Seventies rock turning into Oldies is hard for me. I'm when the 80's stuff hits, and Duran Duran are fat and grey doing a reunion tour to screaming 40 year old groupies and their stuff is plyed in the rotation with the Righteous Brothers, then the next generation will experience the same pain.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Quote: Near a tree by a river
There's a hole in the ground
Where an old man of Aron
Goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night
For a strange kind of fashion
There's a wrong and a right
But he'll never, never fight over you

-Nik Kershaw, "The Riddle"
The enigma of the lyrics fascinated me even then.

Ahh, it is so terrible being thirty.

Coconut Ent Wrote:The enigma of the lyrics fascinated me even then.

Ahh, it is so terrible being thirty.

Wait until you hit your 40's!

Someone once said that when the Prime Minister is nearly the same age as you, you know you are getting old.

I like being in my 40's. People take you more seriously.

With love.
Lorne.
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:It's pretty horrific when stuff you remember as new rock starts showing up on the oldies station.

I recall one of the local classic rock stations tried to get away with playing Nirvana for a while. The first time I heard it I thought oh, come on, my generation's not even close to being that old yet!
Boomstick Wrote:I recall one of the local classic rock stations tried to get away with playing Nirvana for a while. The first time I heard it I thought oh, come on, my generation's not even close to being that old yet!

Or things that were considered "edgy" and "alternative" that now are staples and "old school".

I did some work with a girl's camp run by my wife's church this past week. I had some of my "retro" stuff in the car, and when I asked I told them it was "George Clinton and Parliment Funkadelic". The girls laughed and thought I was joking.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Cause they'd never heard of George Clinton? That's pretty funny indeed! Generally speaking, I've found that anyone under the age of 25 knows pretty much nothing in the way of old music except for the big, obvious bands like the Stones and the Beatles.

I was wearing one of my Tour t-shirts one day and a girl, probably 21-23 years of age (mind you that's only a few years yonger than me) asked me "Who's the Motley Crue?"

Oh, brother....
Boomstick Wrote:Cause they'd never heard of George Clinton? That's pretty funny indeed! Generally speaking, I've found that anyone under the age of 25 knows pretty much nothing in the way of old music except for the big, obvious bands like the Stones and the Beatles.

I was wearing one of my Tour t-shirts one day and a girl, probably 21-23 years of age (mind you that's only a few years yonger than me) asked me "Who's the Motley Crue?"

Oh, brother....

*Chuckle*

And the next thing you know, they'll be calling you "Pops". Rolleyes

But going the other way, is it true that older people aren't really up to the latest thing in music? I'm afraid I'm rather hazy about pop music of the last six years or so. I think I stopped paying much attention in the late 1990's.

Do we stop paying attention at a certain age?

Coconut Ent Wrote:*Chuckle*

And the next thing you know, they'll be calling you "Pops". Rolleyes

But going the other way, is it true that older people aren't really up to the latest thing in music? I'm afraid I'm rather hazy about pop music of the last six years or so. I think I stopped paying much attention in the late 1990's.

That's a very good point. I stopped listening to new popular music around the same time you did. Granted, I've always liked older stuff better, but there was always a bit of the new stuff I liked. Not so much now. Once in a while I'll hear something I like, but it seems it's only bubblegum pop and rap or hip hop or crunk, or whatever the heck it's called this week, that's promoted. There's hardly any rock bands that are 'cool' to the masses anymore.
Coconut Ent Wrote:I'm afraid I'm rather hazy about pop music of the last six years or so. I think I stopped paying much attention in the late 1990's.

I don't know that we stop paying attention, but I think our tastes run to music with a little more depth. Pop-music is, by definition, popular, but only to a certain segement and that's usually the youth who haven't experienced as much of music, and so don't know that the same rifs being played over and over, with the same themes applied over and over, do not good music make. I'm reminded of Vanilla Ice and his use of the "Under Pressure" backbeat for his theme "Ice, Ice Baby".

That, and I think the themes don't resonant with us as we grow older. Skid Row's "18 and Life" doesn't have nearly the same meaning for me as when I was actually in that age bracket. I still enjoy a little AC/DC or, as Boomer mentioned, Motley Crue. Some of Metallica's stuff I've actually grown more fond of, but I've also expanded my tastes into some rather eclectic genres, such as Japanese samisen music, and what might be considered "easy listening" or "jazz". I find Mazzy Starr and Shakespeares Sister to have some very excellent music, while new, but non-pop, artists like Madeleine Peroux really make me smile.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I quit listening to popular music cause I'm too busy making everything happen....:chinese: Though occasionally I'll take note of something......how about this? :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCjSwr7zYtE
Liriodendron Wrote:I quit listening to popular music cause I'm too busy making everything happen....:chinese: Though occasionally I'll take note of something......how about this? :bounce:

Love it!

I actually try to listen to new stuff at least some of the time to avoid becoming totally out of touch. Plus, every so often, some really great new stuff comes around, and I hate to miss that because I'm hearing "Freebird" for the millionth time in my life.

Working with people 15 years younger than yourself helps.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Liriodendron Wrote:I quit listening to popular music cause I'm too busy making everything happen....:chinese: Though occasionally I'll take note of something......how about this? :bounce:

I like that. Also a very entertaining video.

I have two daughters. I took the eldest to see Axl Rose the other evening and soon I will be taking her to see My Chemical Romance. Axl was brilliant live. I hope that MCR can live up to Axl. Umm.

It is strange. I did not think about Guns N Roses much, but lately they have appealed to me, more of a Bon Jovi girl. Maybe our senses change and we are more prepared to accept things we would not have done so before. (Did Rob say that?).

I am lucky, my kids have great taste in music.

With love.
Lorne.
Coconut Ent Wrote:I was listening to Nik Kershaw's "The Riddle" (my old favourite!) , and realised.... that it's been 23 years.... since I first heard the song at 8 years old...

Is it now technically, an "Oldie" song?

I'm getting old....

Isn't it strange, that a song will come on the radio that you have not heard in 25 years plus, but.....you still know every single word.

The brain is a strange thing.

With love.
Lorne.
Lorne Wrote:I like that. Also a very entertaining video.

I have two daughters. I took the eldest to see Axl Rose the other evening and soon I will be taking her to see My Chemical Romance. Axl was brilliant live. I hope that MCR can live up to Axl. Umm.

Really? Was it his 'new' Guns N' Roses line-up? I didn't know they had any shows coming up. Who was the lead guitar player, do you know?
Lorne Wrote:I like that. Also a very entertaining video.

It is strange. I did not think about Guns N Roses much, but lately they have appealed to me, more of a Bon Jovi girl. Maybe our senses change and we are more prepared to accept things we would not have done so before. (Did Rob say that?).

I am lucky, my kids have great taste in music.

With love.
Lorne.

"Your love is like baaaaaaaad medicine,
bad medicine is what I need, woo oh oh!"

In those days Jon Bon Jovi wore tights. :dead:

So did most others...

Boomstick Wrote:Really? Was it his 'new' Guns N' Roses line-up? I didn't know they had any shows coming up. Who was the lead guitar player, do you know?

Axl did a European tour.
Sorry Boomer, I can't think of the guys name of the top of my head, but he had fantastic musicians backing him.

I am partial to the guitar and I found the guitartist very capable.

Obviously Slash is a hard act to follow, but they did a great job.

Axl had done a small tour of the States before Europe. I have a feeling he may be doing Australia. Apart from that, I don't know.

There was mention of Axl coming back to Britain next year. So that was good news.

With love.
Lorne.
Coconut Ent Wrote:"Your love is like baaaaaaaad medicine,
bad medicine is what I need, woo oh oh!"

In those days Jon Bon Jovi wore tights. :dead:

So did most others...

Smile.... and don't forget the 'big hair'. My daughter thought we all walked around like that in the 80's!

With love.
Lorne.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Golden Oldies Coconut Ent 16 1,358 May 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Last Post: TwoXForr