The Zidane mystery: What set him off?
BERLIN - Was it something he said? With France and Italy tied in extra time of Sunday's World Cup final, Zinedine Zidane head-butted Marco Materazzi in the chest and was ejected. France went on to lose on penalty kicks. The day after, still no one knew what the Italian defender might have said to the French star.

"The Italians did everything they could do to provoke Zidane," France defender William Gallas said.

Seconds before, Materazzi had grabbed a handful of Zidane's jersey just as a French attack on goal passed harmlessly by. The two exchanged words as they walked back up the field, well behind the play. Then, without warning, Zidane spun around, lowered his head and rammed Materazzi, knocking him to the ground.

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I think it would have been less bad if he had just headbutted him immediately. That way it would be obvious that he was pushed too far by whatever Materazzi was saying to him. The fact that he walked away and then suddenly charged back to attack him makes it look more pre-meditated and uncalled for.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
MILAN, Italy - Marco Materazzi admits he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the France captain head-butted him in the World Cup final. Materazzi denies calling him a "terrorist."

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Read the rest here.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
FIFA's investigating the matter, apperently, so hopefully we'll find out in the near future. It's a shame that ol' Zizou had to end it that way, but the Italians are a dirty, unsportsmanlike team. Anyone that is critical of Zidane's actions should consider that. You can believe that Materazzi earned that headbutt. Unfortunately, it's exactly what they wanted.

Euro 2008 will end up being the true test of current excellence. There's going to be alot of 'revenge matches', I think. It's unfortunate Zidane won't be around for that, maybe he could redeem himself.
I read on the sky news website that numerous lip-readers saw him say "Your Mother is a Terrorist Wh*re".

I cannot see the article to link to it.
GateWorld.net
Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because the people who mind dont matter, and the people who matter dont mind. Smile
Well, Materazzi only said he didn't call Zidane himself a terrorist, but I thought he also said that he didn't say anything about his mother. Not that I believe it for one second, mind you.

Football 365 is reporting that FIFA may strip Zidane of the golden ball award following their investigation. Apparently it's not FIFA that awards the golden ball, but a group of journalists. They do have the power to remove it once awarded, though.

Given all that, ZZ's probably going to get screwed. FIFA really makes me wonder, they carry on about bad behaviour, but they only focus on one part of it. The Wayne Rooney affair is another good example of it, where no mind is paid to several fouls and unsportsman like behaviour on Portugals side (campaiging for a red card against Rooney), but a huge deal is made of an accidental step, and a frustrated shove.

Here's the article on Football 365:
http://www.football365.com/news/story_188577.shtml
ukkiller Wrote:I read on the sky news website that numerous lip-readers saw him say "Your Mother is a Terrorist Wh*re".

I cannot see the article to link to it.

I'd headbutt him for that.

Then savage him on the ground.

But I am Irish.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Zidane did an interview with Canal Plus in France. He didn't say what Materazzi said specifically, but he maintains that it was harsh insults direceted at his mother and sister.

Read about it at Yahoo!:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap...&type=lgns

And at Yahoo! Canada, a different write-up:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/12072006/6/n-...honor.html

If you speak -or just understand, I suppose- french, Canal Plus has the interview (around 18 mins. long) available. It's featured prominantly on their site's main page: http://www.canalplus.fr/
I'd still be kicking him.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:I'd still be kicking him.

In what set of circumstances wouldn't you be kicking him? :bg:

Well, unless I could kick him all the way to the pub, eventually, I'd need to stop.

I love how Materazzi's excuse is "I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

What is he, a caveman?
Exactly.

Calling my mom a terrorist is the reason to headbutt him. Adding "whore" is the reason to kick him.

But the "uncultured" defense?

That's the reason I'd keep kicking him.

Quote: From Yahoo! Canada
"Zidane has until Tuesday to submit a written statement to FIFA about the incident. Materazzi will then be able to read Zidane's statement and respond accordingly."

"Both players have been asked to attend a FIFA disciplinary hearing on July 20."

I wonder how much of the proceedings FIFA will make available to the public? On one hand, releasing all the gory details-including exactly what Materazzi said-would continue the widespread coverage and publicity for FIFA.

On the other hand, FIFA may just want to deal with it between the players. It seems they are trying to clean up the unfortunate rash of unsportsman like behaviour that's been plaguing the game lately.
It seems Materazzi met with FIFA today and, according to this article, will not have to meet with them again. It seems he moved the meeting up, it wouldn't interfere with his holiday plans. More likely, IMO, he didn't want to face Zidane on the 20th.
Quote:From Fox Sports
"Materazzi, who was accompanied by his lawyer and Italian Football Federation external relations executive Sergio Di Cesare, was quizzed for an hour and a half on Friday morning in FIFA's Zurich headquarters."

"Marco was optimistic after the meeting," said the player's agent, Claudio Vigorelli.

"Everything went fine. He gave his version of what happened."

If everything went fine, it's likely that it was all just a formality, and they're going to lay the blame squarely on Zidane. Which, frankly, is not unexpected. It's easier for them that way, it's not as though they can really punish him since he's retired now.

Taking the golden ball away is about the only thing they can do at this point, and I think they probably will. It's a petty and pointless move, but if Materazzi isn't somehow punished as well, it will all be a hollow show. Sure, ZZ's done this sort of thing before, but so has Materazzi.

Look at the state of football in Italy-two or three teams are due to get demoted or tossed out today due to the game fixing scandle in the Italian league. What more does it take FIFA to see where the problem is. If you're trying to clean up the game, then clean it up. Don't just punish the guy who eventually snaps because he's being tugged and pulled and bad-mouthed.
Oh, come on you guys! That the Italian guy could actually get one of the greatest soccer players ever to lose the World Cup for France by insulting his mother is among the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. I'm sure she appreciated his defense of his honor. Now the world knows Zidane's mother is not a terrorist whore and France lost the World Cup because Zidane can't control his temper. Too bad his mother didn't teach him what's important in life.

Am I the only one who sees it this way, or do I just not understand Quidditch?
gilthoniel Wrote:Oh, come on you guys! That the Italian guy could actually get one of the greatest soccer players ever to lose the World Cup for France by insulting his mother is among the more ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Well, it's right there to see. Zidane was a key part of the French team. Going down to ten men is an obvious disadvantage. Losing your captain, and arguably the heart of this run for France, must have had a psychological impact. And Zidane would have been integral in the penalty kicks should the game have remained tied even if he stayed on.

So while no one know what might have happened, this incident seems to have been the turning point in what did happen.
From the song "Doin' the Dozens" from the musical "Southern Fried," by William Price Fox, Franklin Ashley and Shel Silversterstein:

"You can bad-mouth my brother...
Bad-mouth my sis' ...
But leave my mama
OUTTA this!"
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
justdecent Wrote:I love how Materazzi's excuse is "I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

What is he, a caveman?

Cultured and terroism ?Huh
I am a ZZ fan and it gave me great pleasure that the old magic began to kick in...got my sons to watch a great master. The incident put me me in a daze. I still hope they won't strip his award.
Kevindia
Well, the incident now seems to be over. Zidane met with officials today.

The end result is this: Zidane was fined 7500 Swiss Francs and recieved a three match ban. Since he is no longer playing, he offered to do three days community service with FIFA's humanitarian program. The Yahoo! Canada write up suggested he would work with children for these three days.

Most importantly, however, he will not be stripped of the Golden Ball award! Three cheers for Zizou! :bg:

Marco Materazzi recieved a two match ban and was fined 5000 Swiss Francs. He will miss Italys first Euro 2008 qualifying matches, the first against Lithuania, the second against France!

Both players apologized to the committee for their actions, it seems, and their account of the incident was the same. Recall that Materazzi met with them earlier instead of waiting until today. The FIFA committee stressed that the comments Materazzi provoked Zidane with were insulting, but not racist. The specifics of the comments will not be released by FIFA.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 1964 Solway Firth Spaceman Photo Mystery Nightspore 2 874 September 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Nightspore
  Mystery deepens over disappearing merchant ship RobRoy 1 580 August 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Crater Could Solve 1908 Tunguska Meteor Mystery RobRoy 0 377 June 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Mystery revealed: Poppy quarter led to U.S. spy warnings RobRoy 0 382 May 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Last Post: RobRoy