Seen it, loved it
:crown: Going again as soon as I can!

This movie is awesome!

It's a lot like LOTR: Two Towers, in that it doesn't really have an ending, just a BIG cliffhanger. So, it might suffer because of that (middle child syndrome?)

I don't want to say too much, but I will say that I thought it was fantastic! The sword fights towards the finale were awesome.

Bootstrap Bill kind of scared me though. He has a starfish growing out of his face :anxious:
"Cali rules these forums. I think that whatever she says, she's always right, so I'm abdicating my throne for her to take over control. MWA to all! :kiss:"
- RobRoy
Woooohooo it opened today in Australia and i saw it. Awesome. I read some reviews that didnt really like it and others that did but i thought it was great. I have to admit it got off to a slow start that made me worried that it was gonna be bad but it just got better and better. Im seeing again tommorow! Great ending, though i dont know how im gonna last till the next one.
"Must we recieve every Bennet in the country?!"

:music: Nobody said it was easy, nobody said it was going to be this hard...I'm going back to the start.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I sat at the book store and read the entire story so I actually know how the film ends, without getting to see it yet.
I will agree that it definatly has a big cliffhanger but we all know that there's gonna be another film so that sort of gives it away that what happens, or what everyone THINKS happens, doesnt.

However, I dont know how they are gonna play it out in the next film because well...without giving anything away, Jack sort of gets betrayed if you will, so how are they gonna handle that in the third installment?

I am very anxious to see this film, it comes out tomarrow around here but there is a midnight showing tonight and I might just have to go, I'm not sure I can wait. Unfortunatly, my birthday is saturday, the day after it opens, and that's when we were gonna go see it. It's hard to go running out at midnight around here so I may just have to continue to be anxious until I can't stand it anymore.
abz_ob Wrote:Woooohooo it opened today in Australia and i saw it. Awesome. I read some reviews that didnt really like it and others that did but i thought it was great. I have to admit it got off to a slow start that made me worried that it was gonna be bad but it just got better and better. Im seeing again tommorow! Great ending, though i dont know how im gonna last till the next one.

Yeah, it opened yesterday here, too. It's insanely busy, I don't think I'll get the chance to see it again until sometime next week (curse you, school holidays! I'll get you yet!)

The next one is a year away, yes?
"Cali rules these forums. I think that whatever she says, she's always right, so I'm abdicating my throne for her to take over control. MWA to all! :kiss:"
- RobRoy
Yeah the next one should be summer 2007. I LOVED the 1st movie, thought everyone was great (especially Johnny of course!!) but I did think the 2nd was a bit of a let down. Still, what can you expect from a sequel? Especially to such a successful 1st movie. But I always find with trilogys that the 1st is the best, and 2nd the worst. I just found there was a bit too much pointless action, and also would prefer there to be a bit more piratey stuff, rather than disgusting men/sea creatures (which, I'm sorry to say, actually made me laugh!).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the cast, think the films are just fab, and it was still a good movie. It was funny, and and some good storylines, but just wasn't nearly as good as the 1st.
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
The bits that I really remember sticking out as the best, were near the beginning when the tribe make Jack their cheif, and near the end when Jack, Will and Norrington have that fight and Keira gets really fed up with them all, and then they end up on that wheel thing!
So there were good bits.

Overall, it was pretty good, just not stunning. I'm going again tomorrow so will get a 2nd chance to review it. But I do have high hopes for the 3rd.
"Ugliness is better than beauty. It lasts longer and in the end, gravity will get us all." - Johnny Depp.
But one thing I'm confused about...
What is this whole relationship between Elizabeth and Jack?
Because to me it seems that she really liked him. But she still seemed to like Will. Someone help!Confusedo:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
. Last chance to look away......

I don't think Elizbeth is any more fond of Jack than she was in POTC I. She does like him and in some ways admires him for sticking to his code and what he believes is right. She just does not think of him romantically, after all it was her wedding day and Jack was not the groom.

However "the kiss" was simply to distract him while she clapped the irons on his wrist and I think (as she is all for adventuring off to find Jack in number three) she feels rather guilty about that especially considering the sacrifice he made allowing the others to get away.

I'm just wondering if young Will Turner is going to be man enough to either a) ask Elizabeth about the kiss or b) get over it.
Jealousy doesnt look good on him.
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

>***********************<

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

missferal Wrote:S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
. Last chance to look away......

I don't think Elizbeth is any more fond of Jack than she was in POTC I. She does like him and in some ways admires him for sticking to his code and what he believes is right. She just does not think of him romantically, after all it was her wedding day and Jack was not the groom.

However "the kiss" was simply to distract him while she clapped the irons on his wrist and I think (as she is all for adventuring off to find Jack in number three) she feels rather guilty about that especially considering the sacrifice he made allowing the others to get away.

I'm just wondering if young Will Turner is going to be man enough to either a) ask Elizabeth about the kiss or b) get over it.
Jealousy doesnt look good on him.

S P O I L E Rs.......continued ahead...be wary!
A
L
E
R
T

Personally I think they are all gonna be a bit distracted for a bit about having to be under the watchful eye of Barbosa but eventually I think Will is definatly gonna be asking Elizabeth about the kiss...
Speaking of which, no, there is no romance between her and Jack, she respects him and does know that he is a good man but she did what she had to do, knowing the Kraken was after him and not the Pearl or any one else.
However, we all know that Jack has feelings for her, even if he's to much of a Pirate to actually admit it but in the end she pretty much betrayed him and then told him she wasn't sorry about having to do it, yet she sat there and cried her eyes out at Tia's. I was wondering why she did that if she wasn't sorry for shackling him up.

Needless to say...since they sort of left the whole Davey Jones story on the open side, that he will most likely end up returning in the next film in some way or another but it would seem to me that the rest of them are gonna end up having to search for Jack, but in my opinion, I think he simply ends up fighting his way out of the beast(he did go in with a sword in hand afterall), either that or the thing spits him out due to him giving it indigestion.
Either way, we know he'll be back cause we already know there is a 3rd film and if you were listening, Tia herself actually tells you the name of the third film at the end of this one....cause she tells them that they will have to sail to the ends of the earth and that they will find Jack...At the End of the World(hint hint).
Part 3 opens Memorial Day weekend, 2007.
Have you seen it yet? If so, you are not alone according to all reports.

Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow is the official new North American box office king. The second installment of the 'Pirates' series gives Depp and company the new title of all-time box office champ.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" took in a record $132 million in its first three days, according to studio estimates. The film blew away the previous all-time best debut, 2002's "Spider-Man," which took in $114.8 million in its first weekend.

"Dead Man's Chest" also did nearly three times the business of its predecessor, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," which took in $46.6 million over opening weekend in 2003.

And the top ten looks a little like this:
The top ten: (revenues are estimated, final numbers are due Monday)
1. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," $132 million.

2. "Superman Returns," $21.85 million.

3. "The Devil Wears Prada," $15.6 million.

4. "Click," $12 million.

5. "Cars," $10.3 million.

6. "Nacho Libre," $3.3 million.

7. "The Lake House," $2.8 million.

8. "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift," $2.5 million.

9. "Waist Deep," $1.9 million.

10. "The Break-Up," $1.6 million.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
missferal

on your way down -

Thanks for the teasers. Smile Haven`t seen it yet, cause it will be another two weeks before it hits the theaters here in Germany. Confusedo: But I can`t hardly wait :bounce: The date is firmly marked in my calender and I plan to see it the day it opens. Wohooo, Jack is back :thud: :bg:
OAKSFC Team Member @ www.ozfans.com
"You know what they say about big feet, babe? ;-) Big shoes !! :-D " ~ Kevin Sorbo, Australia 2005
I went to see it friday at a theater near my home and it was sold out. There was a guy dressed as Jack Sparrow and did an awesome job at it. I went back to said theater the next night and saw it and indeed love it.
Kate
Troll Hunter and catcher Extraordinaire
I thought it was just okay, I liked the first one better, and I hated the cliff hanger ending.
Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!
I love it. I liked it alot more the the first one. I wasn't too happy with the end though.
stormy Wrote:I love it. I liked it alot more the the first one. I wasn't too happy with the end though.

Oh I loved it.. yeahhhh Barbossa is BACK!! woohoo..

By the way, did anyone sit through the credits to see the teaser right at the very end?
missferal

on your way down -

No I missed it but people have been telling me about it..actually not spoiling it for me. I will have an opportunity to see it again so I will sit through the entire thing next time.
Kate
Troll Hunter and catcher Extraordinaire
Oh yea peeps......I've just got back in from the cinema......OMG there was no way that was over two hours long....it felt like I was in there for less!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
You
have
been
Warned

Well what can i say, wow indeed, a very enjoyable couple of hours! It was great to see familiar faces cropping up here there and everywhere as the story went on.....and that continued to the very end....Barbossa...woohooo!

Wow ok, the sword fight at the beach, first Between Norrington, Will and Jack as Elizabeth tried her darndest to talk them out of it...hilarious...and then the whole water wheel moment was just wow! And then Elizabeth, Pintel and Ragetti fighting off Davey jones crew and swapping swords...well the whole thing was chuckle worthy.

Another moment which had the whole audience at the cinema laughing out loud was when the Black Pearl Crew were in the hanging cages of the cannibals and were swinging to get to the rocks, and then the whole climbing the rack face, rolling down the hill moment, there wasn't a quiet seat in the place!

Oh and the Cracken or however we spell it, the huge squid monster thing....brilliant also....I just loved the whole movie....the more I think about it the more I love it!

A little darker than the last, just as fun....I can't help but laugh watching Jack running, and now I'm very impatient for the third installment. Davey Jones and crew were briliantly played/animated, the ideas for the various looks of underwater life were fantastic

What I felt after the last movie and watching this one was that the cast and crew must have had an absoloute ball filming it, its like crazy manic fun

Brilliant......Definetely will be seeing it again at the cinema

I'll have to just to see the teaser at the end of it....I couldn't stick around for it this time
Mmmm yup. Pretty much yeah. The title says it all. "Seen it, loved it"

Lol but really... okay, first thing, ya I sat through the end and saw the little teaser... HILARIOUS. Big Grin And now for some spoiler moments...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Okay... Jack and Elizabeth... perhaps I wouldn't call it romance, but I would call it "passion". Definitely. She said that she only kissed him to tie him to the boat, but honestly, did you see the expression on her face... and she totally almost kissed him again AFTER she had alread tied him. And earlier in the film, when they kept going on about "because you're CURIOUS," she almost cried when he didn't kiss her when she was hitting on him... her voice got all quavery... it wasn't just that she was proud of him for not making her dishonorable or whatever... And what about the compass? That points to what you want most in the world? And she kept saying it was broken (on the ship and on the island) when it pointed to Jack and stopped pointing to the chest that would save Will? There's definitely something going on, I'll call it passion... but I really don't think that she only kissed Jack to betray him. Hmm... just a bit of intuition there.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
Saw it yesterday - very good, though I didn't like it as much as the first. Davy Jones just didn't really grab me as a bad guy and I didn't like the way Jack sent Will in his place - it was just too much of a scumbag thing to do to the guy who risked his life to save him. Still pretty fun overall and Commandant Norrington became hella cool.
E
N
D
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was filled with plenty of swash, no lack of buckle, but little else. While it was delightful to see Johnny Depp reprising his steller and skyrocketing role as Captain Jack Sparrow, the rest just seemed like to much effort thrown up on the screen to see what would stick. Orlando Bloom as love-motivated, I guess, Will Turner, and Kiera Knightley as Elizabeth Swann, certainly seem to . . . well, like each other, but have little else going for them on the whole.

The plot? Alright. The movie opens with rain falling like tears from heaven apparently over Will not showing up for his own wedding. Elizabeth seems to have gone early, forgotten her vail and decided to stay in the rain rather than figure out just what had gone wrong. No one else was invited to the wedding. But Knightley does look smashing soaking wet in her bodice-enhancing wedding dress.

What could possibly have gone wrong?

Cutler Beckett. That's Lord Cutler Beckett (what is it with everyone over enunciating their titles?). He's apparently bribed, borrowed or burgeoned his way into someone's good graces and now has some kind of impressive power that even trumps King appointed Governer (and father of the bride) Weatherby Swann. Beckett storms in, takes control without so much as a by-your-leave.

Yes, the East India Trading Company has this much clout!

As a bad guy, though, we'll apparently be seeing Beckett's true dark side in the next installment. In this one, he mostly looks menacing but doesn't really amount to much. His threat/deal-making carries weight with Will, who eagerly (though where his resources come from is uncertain) dashes off to find Jack and his magic compass. Yes that compass. The one we thought only worked to find the Isla de Muerta and the cursed Aztec gold. But with Elizabeth, she shows that cocking a pistol is still one of the scarriest sounds ever. It's certainly lays much more on the table than Letters of Marque could ever do. Why she needs them, though, is somewhat beyond me. Everyone seems to have a ship, and thus a means to go where they will. Why bother with all the stickiness of getting involved in world politics and the supernatural?

Jack, of course, has his own problems, starting with cannibals and ending with Davy Jones himself, who is half man, half octopus, and all cursed-demon-of-the-sea-captain of the Flying Dutchman though lacking the Dutch accent (it's some strange cross between Scottish and squidish). The story goes that Jack made a deal with Davy Jones for 13 years as captain of the Black Pearl and now Davy wants the debt fulfilled.

It's never that simple, though, is it? And there the titular "Dead Man's Chest" which is Davy's and holds some "secret" that everyone wants to control.

Unlike the original Pirates, this one seemed to run under the premise of make it bigger, make it louder and people will empty their wallets. It's worked, of course, but that doesn't it's good movie making. The dialogue and exposition-heavy script watered down and drew out what could have been a rolicking good time much like the original. Too much time and effort were spent telling us all about Davy Jones and his Chest and how he was chasing after the white whale that stole his leg . . .

Sorry, wrong sea-movie.

But the length-of-a-Bible diatribes were certainly reminescent of a certain epic-novel writer (without naming any names).

What was fun, of course, was Jack and his capering, staggering, whimsical-while-falling pirate captain. The special effects, chases and escapes were all very exciting, and the kraken was impressive, of course. But as George Lucas has taught us all, special effects do not a worthwhile movie make. Will and Elizabeth have limited motivation, even for each other. The introduction of Will's wayward father, Bootstrap Bill, was nice; but nice moments could be earned for a 10 cent call to your own father, mother, brother, uncle, great-grandma on your cousin's side.

Still, some of the moments shipboard and fighting the kraken are worthy of the big screen. If you're interested in Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Johnny Depp or any of the others, then of course, go see it. Otherwise, wait for the DVD to rent, not own. This movie doesn't deserve that kind of effort in making room on your shelf.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Otherwise, wait for the DVD to rent, not own. This movie doesn't deserve that kind of effort in making room on your shelf.

This is kind of off-topic, but I don't really get why people recommend waiting to rent a film on DVD. Its about as expensive as seeing it in the cinema and not half as enjoyable. Plus you have to wait 4-10 months.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!

MYCode Guide