Surgeon general warns of secondhand smoke
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Holy Crap! You mean smoking is bad for you? And breathing it in, even if you didn't pay for the pack yourself, is still bad?

That sounds like a bunch of whiny, Liberal, fuzzy science to me.

I'll get some scientists in the pay of big tobacco to refute that. Hold on for a sec...
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Ban away! My husband finally was able to quit (a 30 year habit!) 2 years ago. So happy!! Fuzzy funding makes for fuzzier science..... :dude:
Here we go.... I don't even know where to begin. So I won't. Suffice to say I think my mind has been spoken on the issue in the past.

However, the mere suggestion of banning smoking in private homes is extremely frightening to me. Land of the free indeed...
As a child who was brought up in a home where both parents smoked, I totally agree that no-one should smoke in their home if they have children.

I remember having to go to the top deck of a bus so my mum could smoke. I would wash my hair before we went out then have to wash it again when I returned home. As soon as I got old enough to sit on my own on a bus I would sit down stairs while my mum sat up stairs smoking.

I hated it. I still do. I do not let anyone smoke in my home and I try to avoid places where people do.

In the past non smokers did not seem to have a choice. Now it seems that the smokers are not getting the choice.

I am happy and proud to say that my mum quit over 20 years ago. I know it is tough for smokers to quit and I admire all of those that can and do.

With love.
Lorne.
I don't think smoking should be banned, i mean both sides have rights. I know i would rather be in a seperate room tho or able to eat outside or something, as opposed to sitting right next to a smoker. Almost all of my family smokes. I do not, I have asthma pretty bad, allergies and had pneumonia about four times a year for seven years, almost killed me everytime. And my parents still smoke. I truly don't have a problem with people smoking as long as they aren't blowing it right in my face which my family happened to think was funny.
Well the problem is Gabrielle, I never feel anything."Sorry about your soldiers, we were playing tag in the forum."
"You still don't get it I would rather die in your arms than live without you in mine."
Visit us at http://xena.spreebb.com/
there are plenty of drugs that are illegal to smoke in your own home. Why shouldn't cigarettes be one of them?
Tongue
HOBBIT Wrote:there are plenty of drugs that are illegal to smoke in your own home. Why shouldn't cigarettes be one of them?

Because it's not illegal to smoke cigarettes. No matter how much non-smokers gripe about it, the fact of the matter is they're blowing the whole thing out of proportion. Everyone knows it's bad for you.

But this "ban it for the kids" nonsense little more than a fabricated battle cry to rally support. It's a kind of Consensus Terrorism, to borrow a phrase from Douglas Coupland. Get the masses whipped into a righteous frezy, and demonize all who oppose.

No one I know smokes in their house if they have kids or other non-smokers in the house. All my smoking friends stopped smoking (and, yes, drinking too, btw) if they got pregnant, and after they had the child, had they not given it up, they didn't smoke in the house or near the child.

The bottom line is this: there's plenty of things that are bad for you. If they want to ban smoking in public places, fine. But restaurants and bars that want to have smoking sections should be allowed. There's plenty of ventilation technology out there to keep the smoke out of the non-smoker's area. (So long as there's no non-smoking seats near the smoking section, god forbid we should even see or smell smoke once! "Oh, I feel my lungs drying up and dying!")

Now, I respect the fact that smoking has caused many people alot of pain. I'm not trying to belittle that. But life is dangerous. Many things kill many people every day, but since we see them (cars, for example) as a necessity, no one does anything about it. (Never mind all our cars are killing the planet, so long as I can watch the world go to hell in a smoke free environment!)

If smoking is banned (and you can believe some people will lobby for that), what else will follow? Twenty years down the road, when everyone's moaning that we live in such Orwellian times, I'm going to have a field day with "I-told-you-so."

Assuming, that is, that I'm alive. Surely, if second hand smoke is so dangerous, my occasional first hand smoking will kill me long before then!
Well as a kid i'm going to have to agree with banning it inside the house. They call it "the land of the free" but than why do we have laws? The land isn't REALLY free. I have friends that are constantly sick because of second-hand smoke and will probably end up with lung cancer even though they never touched a smoke in their lives. Is that honestly fair? I think they should stop people from doing that. (they aren't going to ban it in houses anyways..it's outside public areas).

Like someone said before...Ban away Smile
My Libertarian streak says that while I know it's bad and unhealthy, (although no worse than letting your kids eat all the sugary food advertised on cartoons.) you should be able to smoke in appropriately designated areas. A private house, your own car, the properly ventilated smoking section of a bar, etc.

If non-smokers can avoid your smoke in a given area, then you should be able to do so. If they can't, then it needs to be restricted.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
yeah and all those illegal drugs weren't always illegal. Saying "but cigarettes are legal!!!" as a reason not to make them illegal is ridiculous.

I'd be more comfortable with marijuana legal inside the privacy of your own home than cigarettes to be honest.
Quote:But restaurants and bars that want to have smoking sections should be allowed. There's plenty of ventilation technology out there to keep the smoke out of the non-smoker's area. (So long as there's no non-smoking seats near the smoking section, god forbid we should even see or smell smoke once! "Oh, I feel my lungs drying up and dying!")
Oh please.

Smoking sections are almost ALWAYS right next to the non-smoking or very close. Separated by a wall sometimes or some other ridiculous barrier. Smoke drifts over to non-smoking all the time.

NJ recently made smoking illegal in all restaurants and bars and it is like heaven!!!!

Smoking ventilation? yeah never seen that work.
Tongue
[quote=Boomstick]But this "ban it for the kids" nonsense little more than a fabricated battle cry to rally support. It's a kind of Consensus Terrorism, to borrow a phrase from Douglas Coupland. Get the masses whipped into a righteous frezy, and demonize all who oppose.

I admire your friends for not smoking around their children Boomer, but sadly there are some very thick people out there who don't give a monkey's you know what, about smoking around their kids. I see people in cars where there is not a window open with their children in the car whilst the parent is smoking. The kid is literally sealed in with a smoker. The kid is not given a choice. I have been to a friends house where their paint work is yellow with nicotine where they have smoked for years in front of their kids. If the paint work is yellow, what are the kids lungs like?

I know what you are saying about cars, they are killing everyone too, but smoking seems more in your face - literally in Ladyfey's case. That is so annoying and disrespectful.

Maybe if more smokers had been more respectful of non-smokers, they would have got more support for their cause.

With love.
Lorne.
HOBBIT Wrote:I'd be more comfortable with marijuana legal inside the privacy of your own home than cigarettes to be honest.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, becuase the 'marijuana is better than cigarettes' argument is absurd in the extreme. It goes to the 'why cigs are legal' argument, because the best you're going to get from a cig is a quick, short buzz. Marijuana's effects linger longer and, although I'm not an authority, I think can be compared to the inebriating effects of alcohol. So that's why one's legal and the other's not. Say nothing of marijuana's alleged status as often being a 'gateway' substance, from which you move on to the serious stuff.

Plus, if you think it's annoying to get the smell of cigs out of your clothes, etc., good luck combatting the resilient stench of marijuana.

Quote:Oh please.

Smoking sections are almost ALWAYS right next to the non-smoking or very close. Separated by a wall sometimes or some other ridiculous barrier. Smoke drifts over to non-smoking all the time.

First, I said technology was available. The bulk of restaurants could impliment some system where the smoke wasn't a problem. Beyond that, all I can I say is if you're not happy, go eat somewhere else, then.

This is the fundemental problem. Instead of working around the issue with common sense, we go on crusades. Crusades that, once triumphant, confirm that there are no more individual rights, only the rule of the majority.

Lorne, I acknowledge that not all are as sensible as they ought to be. But how far can we regulate? And isn't it hypocritical? As Mike mentioned, what of diet? No one gives a toss if your kid stuffs themselves full of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs for breakfast, Pop Tarts for lunch, and ice cream for supper.

Now what's going to kill him faster, Diabetes or second hand smoke? Come on, people.

Some folks smoke all their lives without cancer, but now we're going ballistic because we have to walk past the smoking area (one of the report's greatest absurities, IMO) going into work? I think we need to worry about perspective and priorities more than the possible chance of lung cancer here...
OK, the "gateway drug" concept is crap.

If you have an addictive personality, it might look that way, but if you do have an addictive personality, then everything is a gateway drug.

I'm a Paramedic. Sick people are my bread and butter. Let me point out the facts.

Booze does more damage to society than heroin, cocaine, marijuana and cigarettes together, as far as ER visits, injuries, drunk driving, domestic violence, and simple damage to the body.

The average American diet of 3000 calories a day which leads to diabetes, hypertension and heart disease, especially among our youth, is much more damaging than marijuana could ever dream of being.

Get off the high horse on the Mary Jane and, yes, the cigarettes. They are convenient targets for blame.

If you want to fix your health, cut society's problems, curtail violence and put me largely out of a job, stop banning other people's vices, eat a salad, cut down on your drinking and go to the gym.

Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:OK, the "gateway drug" concept is crap.

Ok. That's why I said "alleged," I wasn't sure, and none of my pothead friends ever became honest-to-goodness junkies, so I always wondered if there was any real weight behind all that.
Boomstick Wrote:Ok. That's why I said "alleged," I wasn't sure, and none of my pothead friends ever became honest-to-goodness junkies, so I always wondered if there was any real weight behind all that.

Propaganda from The Man.

Not that pot is good for you, but it's not half the problem that alcohol is, to the individual or to society.

Not that I don't drink, either. It's just that you can be a casual drinker or a raging lush, the same way you can be a weekend joint smoker or a total stoner.

Nobody ever smoked a joint and beat up his wife, crashed his car, and shot it out with the police.

Ever.

Half the stupid calls I go to, where there are preventable injuries, are a result of booze. The chronic medical problems that we see, that tie up our ERs and eat our healthcare budget, are split between smoking related and obesity related, with obesity gaining ground every day.

When they start agitating for a "Fat Section" in public places, then I'll feel the smokers are being fairly targeted.

Boomstick Wrote:Lorne, I acknowledge that not all are as sensible as they ought to be. But how far can we regulate? And isn't it hypocritical? As Mike mentioned, what of diet? No one gives a toss if your kid stuffs themselves full of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs for breakfast, Pop Tarts for lunch, and ice cream for supper.

Now that is one area I can control. I buy the food for the house hold. From the time my children were born starting with breast feeding I have always been very conscience of what my children eat. I am happy to say that my kids if left to their own devices do not eat junk food. Chips (fries) do not feature in our home.

We have a chef, Jamie Oliver, who has been on a very successful crusade to improve food in the schools. There are some who will feed their kids crap, because it is all the little darling will eat. If they had introduced the child to healthy food in the first place, they may not be in the situation they are in now.

I agree with Mike. When you watch the real police programmes on TV, you know the type where a camera crew follow a van full of policemen all over the place, it is always drunks involved in fights or who have caused havoc.

With love.
Lorne.
Everytime a friend smokes, I give them the eye so they don't smoke near me .. I'm not going to die for their stupid habits. I gave up trying to get them to quit .. it's something they're going to have to decide on their own. But hopefully it won't be too late.
Sorry been away, and the discussion sounds interesting. What is it??

A) Since smoking will kill you, you should never be able to do IT anywhere, anytime, even in the privacy of your own home.

b)Smoking ain't so bad because 'X", (obesity, drugs, booze etc) will kill you too, and Only one of those substances is currently under restriction.

c) All bad things that can kill you should be banned. You are a sheep, we know what is best for you, trust us.

If choice A- then no. Part of being an adult is making stupid decisions that endanger yourself & your children. I don't want a cop hiding in the bushes, waiting for me to do something stupid so s/he can arrest me.

I can already be given a ticket for not wearing my seatbeat,(and no OTHER violation, moving or otherwise.) YES I AM SERIOUS!! And when the original law was enacted, the Legislature said. "Oh, no, that will NEVER be a Primafacia cause, it will only be if you get a ticket for SOMETHING ELSE, and you are not wearing a seat belt THEN you can be ticketed for THAT TOO!!)
Do NOT open the door a crack, some fool who knows better than you what
is 'good for you' will come in and make themselves at home!!

B) Just wait, the regs are coming

C)You should exercise for 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. SO, let's pass a law REQUIRING you to submit PROOF you've exercised at least the minimum. You shouldn't eat more than 30% of your daily calories as FAT, produce your stampped diet card, PROVING you didn't do so, or let's test your blood level. You should get at least 6-8 hours of sleep a night. Produce your 'sleep audit card'; proving you did so.

HEy, we are just trying to make sure you take care of yourself, after all if you don't, you are just going to cost the rest of us $$$.

Sheep get shorn for wool, or eaten for dinner. Neither is a 'fun thing', I don't want to be a sheep. Do you??

DOne ranting now!!
I think education is key. You want to propaganda kids to the hilt that driking and smoking is worse than devil worship, go ahead. But then let them make up their own mind when they're adults.

I'm not for smoking itself, necessarily. In fact, I just threw out a pack this morning after I let it sit on my porch for a week, having resolved to give up and start getting healthy in general--but I'm all for the choice. If I want to smoke, I should be allowed to.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General Motors does away with Pontiac, Saab, Hummer Boomstick 13 1,335 December 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Nic's smoke signal RobRoy 0 852 February 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Dementia will become epidemic, study warns RobRoy 10 1,173 January 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Last Post: august
  General Public Mentality Taratholiel 11 871 January 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Last Post: DeamondBleed