Batwoman is back as a lesbian
NEW YORK - Years after she first emerged from the Batcave, Batwoman is coming out of the closet. DC Comics is resurrecting the classic comic book character as a lesbian, unveiling the new Batwoman in July as part of an ongoing weekly series that began this year.

The 5-foot-10 superhero comes with flowing red hair, knee-high red boots with spiked heels, and a form-fitting black outfit.

"We decided to give her a different point of view," explained Dan DiDio, vice president and executive editor at DC. "We wanted to make her a more unique personality than others in the Bat-family. That's one of the reasons we went in this direction."

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
its amazing how many places I have seen this news story today. Personally, i think it sounds like a good fit.
Sciguy Wrote:its amazing how many places I have seen this news story today. Personally, i think it sounds like a good fit.

I kind of got the impression she was in the series with Adam West! Wasn't she Commissiner Gordon's niece?
no that was Bat Girl - Bat Woman is an entirely different character, no?
Tongue
HOBBIT Wrote:no that was Bat Girl - Bat Woman is an entirely different character, no?

Yes you are right Hobbit. 30 year old actress Yvonne Craig played Bat Girl in 1967/8. Not a mere slip of a girl.

With love.
Lorne.
DC Comics seems to be getting more inclined to depict alternative sexuality modes on the part of main characters as one way of making their product more "edgy". The "mature" series, e.g. the Vertigo titles, went that route two decades ago. The Sandman run includes at least (by my quick count from memory) 4 gay couples, at least 2 other gay characters, and at least one transexual, as important human characters in one or more story arc. (This does not include the deliberately totally androgynous and hermaphroditic, but supernatural, Desire of the Endless, nor a number of walk-ons of a few panels' duration.)

Actually, as long ago as 1948, essayist Leslie Feidler asserted he'd detected a homoerotic element in the classic Batman and Robin comics. In "Come Back To the Raft Ag'in, Huck Honey!" he argued that because we're presented with a mature, unmarried man living with an unrelated adolescent male, who between crimefighting sallies mostly seem to lounge around in smoking jackets enjoying the life of a pair of wealthy idle playboys with nary a woman in sight, there's a, um, subtext present. He called the situation (IIRC) a homosexual male's "wish-dream." (Bear in mind, this was 1948!)

So, are we seeing a completely novel angle, or merely a tendency long latent and covert, "coming out"? :coffee:
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I wonder what Batwoman thinks about Catwoman?

"Huh! Her derriere sticks out a mile!"

or...

"Grrrrrr......"

Wink

(for some reason the smilies and the formatting buttons are not clickable for me)
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
DC's PR people must have been pushing this story something wicked, or news has been really slow lately. Because it's not as though sensationalism is a stranger to the comic book industry. "Outings" go way back, to the 80s, IIRC, when one of Marvel's "Alpha Flight" members was revealed to be gay.
That would be NorthStar...

There is rumour that Colossus is as well... but I haven't read X-Men in years, so I cannot say...

DC isn't the only ones doing this...

Do you think they'll do it by Dr. Kinsey's estimate such that one in ten heroes are gay (reflecting Kinsey's estimate of homosexual population), or be more conservative?

Eh, no superhero wears pink.... a good number wear leather though. But the majority wear leotards. Humph. I rather like Magneto's loose garb when he led the X-Men in the late 80's and early 90's.

Coconut Ent Wrote:There is rumour that Colossus is as well... but I haven't read X-Men in years, so I cannot say...

If they're going that direction with Colossus, they've changed. One of the last X-Men comics I got (sometime after the first movie, maybe even after the second, I can't recall), Colossus and Kitty Pryde went on a date.
Colossus is gay in one of the "alternate" universes, in Ultimate Colossus...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_%28comics%29

Quote:In a change from his Earth-616 counterpart, Ultimate Colossus is homosexual. This revelation, when made, alienated him from his once close friend Nightcrawler, who feels he never really knew Piotr. He has recently been romantically linked to the mutant Jean-Paul Beaubier, also known as Northstar.

But in the "normal" stream he does have something with Kitty Pride...

Oh, yes, the "Ultimate" universe. Ultimate exploitation of the fan dollar, that is...
Coconut Ent Wrote:That would be NorthStar...

There is rumour that Colossus is as well... but I haven't read X-Men in years, so I cannot say...

DC isn't the only ones doing this...

Do you think they'll do it by Dr. Kinsey's estimate such that one in ten heroes are gay (reflecting Kinsey's estimate of homosexual population), or be more conservative?

Eh, no superhero wears pink.... a good number wear leather though. But the majority wear leotards. Humph. I rather like Magneto's loose garb when he led the X-Men in the late 80's and early 90's.

The alleged numbers of Dr. Kinsey are always misstated - even in the medical literature. The ten % includes all the folks who have had a homosexual encounter in their lifetimes. The number of homosexual orientation was always much lower.

Kinsey is also out of modern calculations because current studies indicate that 1 -3 % of the population AT MAXIMUM is homosexually oriented. Which means that the others in Kinsey's alleged 10% are bisexual, transiently homosexual, or people who "experimented" and then were straight.

But the allegation of Batman and Robin I recall from my youth. And that boys and girls would reach from 1962 through high school.

Sure wish I had saved some of those Old Comic Books that I bought when they were new!:teary:
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
inked Wrote:The alleged numbers of Dr. Kinsey are always misstated - even in the medical literature. The ten % includes all the folks who have had a homosexual encounter in their lifetimes. The number of homosexual orientation was always much lower.

Perhaps you're saying the same thing I'm about to, and I have simply misread your statement. Kinsey's 10% refers to the statistic given in Sexual Behaviour in the Human Male to males "more or less" exclusively homosexual. This means that the male was given a 5 or 6 rating on the 7-point Kinsey Scale (0 being completely heterosexual and 6 being completely homosexual). About 11% (DHTBWM) of males were given a rating of 3, placing them as equally homosexual and hetrosexual. Something like 45% of males had engaged in both homosexual and hetrosexual acts throughout their adult lives.

The female score was much lower, but also considered much more precise as Kinsey had refined his process for Sexual Behaviour in the Human Female from his previous publication. I want to say 5% of females were given a 5 or 6 rating on the 7-point scale, making them "more or less" exclusively homosexual.

You are absolutely correct that the Kinsey 10% is often mis-cited. It usually given as a general statement, an urban legend, of society which doesn't distinguish between the statisics of the male study and those of the female.

Quote:Kinsey is also out of modern calculations because current studies indicate that 1 -3 % of the population AT MAXIMUM is homosexually oriented. Which means that the others in Kinsey's alleged 10% are bisexual, transiently homosexual, or people who "experimented" and then were straight.

I don't think this statement is an accurate representation of Kinsey's publications. The 7-point scale took this into account and documented where the percentage points lay in relation to exclusively homosexual, hetrosexual or in between. Kinsey documented activities related to one end of the spectrum or the other, but didn't immediately classify a person simply because of experimentation or bisexuality based on limited reports.

However, I will caveat that by saying that even the Kinsey Institute has admitted that the data needed scrubbing. Revised figures from "scrubbed" data has reflected that while some of Kinsey's data was off, the differences were interesting but marginal in most cases.

Quote:But the allegation of Batman and Robin I recall from my youth. And that boys and girls would reach from 1962 through high school.

These allegations seem to be a near constant for every generation. I remember the same thing from my own youth in reading of the Dark Knight. It seems that almost any close male-male relationship is, at some point, called into question by a Western audience. I wonder why this is.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Wow, good for them ..

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welcome back Kotter reboot badlands 4 41 January 16th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Michael
  I am not ready to go back into the cinemas Michael 9 302 November 24th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Michael
  There and back again, a Neverending tale. Adam-X 10 1,230 July 17th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Adam-X
  Back me up! GamgeeFest 3 948 August 31st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Panda bites man, man bites him back RobRoy 3 440 September 22nd, 2006, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Yalmuk
  Dog Bites Back in TV Special RobRoy 5 415 September 20th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Gay/Lesbian Marriage? RobRoy 142 6,428 March 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Mike of Quantum Muse
  Back in time DeamondBleed 14 892 January 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Last Post: TwoXForr
  Leonora's BACK!! Leonora 6 541 November 20th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Leonora
  Just came back from a wedding. TwoXForr 6 478 September 4th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Last Post: u9930841