Amidala assassination
Why is Count Dooku/Darth Sidious so desperate to have Amidala killed, even if he just wanted her off Coruscant for the vote he still ran the risk of killing her, and she was instrumental in turning Anakin to the dark side.
Fear is the path of the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.
Because part of the deal that the Neimoidians would join the Seperatists was that Amidala would be assassniated. Obviously the Neimoidians were considered important enough for the deal to be kept.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-
General Grievous is a whole lot easier to say.
Edpayasugo Wrote:Why is Count Dooku/Darth Sidious so desperate to have Amidala killed, even if he just wanted her off Coruscant for the vote he still ran the risk of killing her, and she was instrumental in turning Anakin to the dark side.

We can only ask this question in foresight. Looking at the issue at the time, Palpatine (Count Dooku wasn't in the picture just yet) was moving according to his own information. Anakin wasn't brought to his attention until the conclusion of the Naboo/Trade Federation blockade.

Only after Anakin was made known to Palpatine did he begin his machinations to turn him. Palpatine's first ovetures likely included the fostering of friendship with Anakin, which built up to the kidnapping of his mother Shmi by the Tuscans. Palpatine didn't know that Anakin and Padme would develop such a strong bond.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I'm not sure if Sideous wanted Amidala killed in Episode II. In Episode III it makes sense because he's trying to control Anakin and have him have no ties to his former self after he becomes Vader. Dooku like Pechark said only wanted her dead for the Nemodians and Nute Gunray's sake.
I can imagine quite a bit.
RobRoy Wrote:We can only ask this question in foresight. Looking at the issue at the time, Palpatine (Count Dooku wasn't in the picture just yet) was moving according to his own information. Anakin wasn't brought to his attention until the conclusion of the Naboo/Trade Federation blockade.

Only after Anakin was made known to Palpatine did he begin his machinations to turn him. Palpatine's first ovetures likely included the fostering of friendship with Anakin, which built up to the kidnapping of his mother Shmi by the Tuscans. Palpatine didn't know that Anakin and Padme would develop such a strong bond.

Unless Palpatine knew that Plageus had created Anakin.....
But anyway, Padme was allowed to be killed to get the Nemodians on board, and he didn't reliase her signifiance in converting Anakin then.
Fear is the path of the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.
RobRoy Wrote:We can only ask this question in foresight. Looking at the issue at the time, Palpatine (Count Dooku wasn't in the picture just yet) was moving according to his own information. Anakin wasn't brought to his attention until the conclusion of the Naboo/Trade Federation blockade.

Was Palpaltine behind the kidnapping of Shmi?

As for the Plageous theory of creating Anakin, it seems risky to create such a powerful force user with strong skills, especially with the proficy of a chosen one who will destroy the sith.
"All to easy!" <-- Darth Vader EP V :angry:
Saber Wrote:Was Palpaltine behind the kidnapping of Shmi?

I've always held this to be true. There is no other reason for Shmi to be captured, kept alive and constantly tortured for such an extended period. Unless she had stolen their Lucky Charms. Then, by all means.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Hmmm, I dunno I don't think so.
Edpayasugo Wrote:Hmmm, I dunno I don't think so.

Great. I'm all for seeing the evidence against. What have you got?

RobRoy Wrote:Great. I'm all for seeing the evidence against. What have you got?

Hmmmm, I thought this might happen and thats why I was so vague - I just think it was a coincidence, although it could have been Palp.
Edpayasugo Wrote:Hmmmm, I thought this might happen and thats why I was so vague - I just think it was a coincidence, although it could have been Palp.

You are correct that there is no direct link between the two. But there are some substantial facts that lead logically to this conclusion.

First, there is Palpatine as manipulator. He was certainly very, very good at seeing potential ends and manuevering both sides to acheive that end. His duplicitous role as representative of Naboo as well as Darth Sideous, worked to bring himself to power. Then, the Seperatist movement, which he set in motion and which his apprentice, Dooku supported, works to bring him an entire army, spread them throughout the galaxy and position them in such a way that not only can he take complete and utter control, but he can also do away with the Jedi in one fell swoop.

Next, we know that he was watching Anakin from the begining, and that he also assist in aranging for Anakin to be put into positions such that his Jedi code would be tested, and found wanting. Where ever you wish to place the blame for Anakin's fall, Palpatine certainly had a hand, wrist and arm in the effort.

Finally, we have Shmi, being taken by the Tuscans. We don't know how long he was having dreams, but we do know that he thought about his mother often. We know that Shmi had been taken a month prior to Anakin's arrival, and was being tortured, slowly, to death. It would not have been any great effort for Palpatine to learn about Anakin's past, and without seeming overly inquisitive either. He could have asked a member of the Jedi Council, Obi-wan or even Anakin himself about Shmi. Then, he could have just as easily approached the Tuscans about her capture and torture. Certainly, such things aren't beyond the Darth Sideous. He could have offered money, equipment, or threatened them; or a combination of the three.

I don't know if Palpatine could predict that Anakin would arrive just in time to witness his mother's horrible death, which would then spur him to the massacre of the Tuscans. Even if that hadn't worked out, and he had arrived later or earlier, it would have achieved a similar end, triggering Anakin's anger and agression, which could later be exploited.

It could be a coincidence, I'll warrant. But it's an awfully convenient one for Palpatine's effort to bring Anakin to the Dark Side. As such, I find it more likely that Palpatine orchestrated the event, as he orchestrated so many others.

RobRoy Wrote:Finally, we have Shmi, being taken by the Tuscans. We don't know how long he was having dreams, but we do know that he thought about his mother often. We know that Shmi had been taken a month prior to Anakin's arrival, and was being tortured, slowly, to death. It would not have been any great effort for Palpatine to learn about Anakin's past, and without seeming overly inquisitive either. He could have asked a member of the Jedi Council, Obi-wan or even Anakin himself about Shmi. Then, he could have just as easily approached the Tuscans about her capture and torture. Certainly, such things aren't beyond the Darth Sideous. He could have offered money, equipment, or threatened them; or a combination of the three.

Well, we know that Anakin confided in Palpaltine, so it could be that Anakin himself told Palps about his mother, and how he misses her. Against the jedi code or not, Anakin told Palps many things that would get him in big trouble with the Order.
"All to easy!" <-- Darth Vader EP V :angry:
Saber Wrote:Well, we know that Anakin confided in Palpaltine, so it could be that Anakin himself told Palps about his mother, and how he misses her. Against the jedi code or not, Anakin told Palps many things that would get him in big trouble with the Order.

Agreed. There was no real effort made to keep Anakin's history a secret, and, at the time, it seemed no real reason to do so.

Have a look at this, http://blogs.starwars.com/anakin-vs-luke-2005/52

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leia or Amidala Gimlis Cousin 2 490 July 1st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Han Solo