Best CG Animated movie
I really like Anime and I just recently saw the Japanese version of the Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children movie at work. I thought the animation was absolutely amazing, I've never seen anything like it. It's been out in Japanese for a couple years now but it just came out on DVD in English a couple days ago. Anyone seen it?

Here's the trailer if you havent:

www.square-enix-usa.com/dvd/ff7ac/
:dude: Don't stop til you get enough.
I couldn't get any of the trailers to work, which is unfortunate since I really enjoyed their Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within movie.

I should ask, however, what you are qualifying as "the best". Do you mean how realistic the style is, how well crafted the characters are, or how good the story is, or a combination of the above. Square certainly has the corner market on computer animated movies, but Pixar has the corner market right now on story, characters etc.

I'm not overly swayed by the "ooo" and "aww" of CG animation. That's not why I go to the theater. The Incredibles, Monsters, Inc., etc could have been hand drawn and I still would regard them as excellent efforts.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
The first Final Fantasy scifi animated movie had a mixture of ghostly apparitions, alien viral disease and demonic magic power. Ships and gear were made with superior technological design. It makes STAR WARS look like a kindergarden toy in comparison. Their latest breathtaking movie after what I heard is better.
:coffee:
Nutritionist expert: Boiled eggs break down much quickly than meat.
The human digestive system is not really equiped for meat digestion.
RobRoy Wrote:I couldn't get any of the trailers to work, which is unfortunate since I really enjoyed their Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within movie.

I should ask, however, what you are qualifying as "the best". Do you mean how realistic the style is, how well crafted the characters are, or how good the story is, or a combination of the above. Square certainly has the corner market on computer animated movies, but Pixar has the corner market right now on story, characters etc.

I'm not overly swayed by the "ooo" and "aww" of CG animation. That's not why I go to the theater. The Incredibles, Monsters, Inc., etc could have been hand drawn and I still would regard them as excellent efforts.
That's odd that the trailer didn't work. You do need Flash 8 to view it on the link that I gave. I think you can view either a low or high res trailer if you click on the squares flying around on the right side of the screen.

Well I agree that you definitely need more than just eye candy to make a good film but I think Advent Children has that all encompassing appeal. It's based on the Final Fantasy 7 game, an RPG game, therefore it's heavily connected to the development of a story and characters over time. I have actually never played the game myself and I still really liked it. You certainly don't have to familar with the game to enjoy the movie or get into the characters.
Lord Supreme Wrote:The first Final Fantasy scifi animated movie had a mixture of ghostly apparitions, alien viral disease and demonic magic power. Ships and gear were made with superior technological design. It makes STAR WARS look like a kindergarden toy in comparison. Their latest breathtaking movie after what I heard is better.
:coffee:

The movie IS breathtaking! I think it's better than the first Final Fantasy movie, the animation and story are far superior. I want to get the DVD so I can see the "making of." I'm really curious how it all came together...
EyesOpen99 Wrote:That's odd that the trailer didn't work. You do need Flash 8 to view it on the link that I gave. I think you can view either a low or high res trailer if you click on the squares flying around on the right side of the screen.

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I use my work computer. You can actually see it in high, medium and low res, and they provide different connection speeds. I only mentioned that I couldn't see them so that everyone understood that I wasn't speaking from a position of knowledge regarding the trailers themselves.

Quote:Well I agree that you definitely need more than just eye candy to make a good film but I think Advent Children has that all encompassing appeal. It's based on the Final Fantasy 7 game, an RPG game, therefore it's heavily connected to the development of a story and characters over time. I have actually never played the game myself and I still really liked it. You certainly don't have to familar with the game to enjoy the movie or get into the characters.

Final Fantasy VII is regarded as one of the all time greats of the Final Fantasy series. It's a very simple game to master, and you don't have to worry about fancy controller moves to succeed.

All of the Final Fantasy games and the movie The Spirit Within have connected themes, up to and including the number and type of characters that are used. I'll have to see if this movie is available from NetFlix.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I use my work computer. You can actually see it in high, medium and low res, and they provide different connection speeds. I only mentioned that I couldn't see them so that everyone understood that I wasn't speaking from a position of knowledge regarding the trailers themselves.

Final Fantasy VII is regarded as one of the all time greats of the Final Fantasy series. It's a very simple game to master, and you don't have to worry about fancy controller moves to succeed.

All of the Final Fantasy games and the movie The Spirit Within have connected themes, up to and including the number and type of characters that are used. I'll have to see if this movie is available from NetFlix.

Both movies are available on Netflix, who actually gives Advent Children 4 and a half stars. I've heard the opposite about The Spirits Witihin. I've heard it was not as connected to the games as people were hoping. Nevertheless people enjoyed it as I'm sure they will/have Advent Children. What did you think of the English voices?
EyesOpen99 Wrote:I've heard the opposite about The Spirits Witihin. I've heard it was not as connected to the games as people were hoping. Nevertheless people enjoyed it as I'm sure they will/have Advent Children.

I dunno. I haven't really talked with anyone who's played the games and watched the movie.

There was Dr. Sid, and there's been an incarnation of Cid within every FF game, up to and including Kingdom Hearts. Chocobos can be seeen in two spots in the movie, elusive as always. The Deep Eyes Squadron had four members, which was a reference to the fact that in most of the games you can only have four people in a team, even though there are more than that many characters. There was also the whole spiritual versus mechanical elements, as well as the ties to the planet as being keys to the climax. <shrug>

Quote:What did you think of the English voices?

They worked for me. Was there some criticism against them?

RobRoy Wrote:I dunno. I haven't really talked with anyone who's played the games and watched the movie.

There was Dr. Sid, and there's been an incarnation of Cid within every FF game, up to and including Kingdom Hearts. Chocobos can be seeen in two spots in the movie, elusive as always. The Deep Eyes Squadron had four members, which was a reference to the fact that in most of the games you can only have four people in a team, even though there are more than that many characters. There was also the whole spiritual versus mechanical elements, as well as the ties to the planet as being keys to the climax. <shrug>

They worked for me. Was there some criticism against them?

Yeah I've talked to a lot of people who have said different things. Some people think some of the male characters voices are too feminine. I've also heard that the dubbing is weird on a couple characters. I also heard that Sephiroth's voice does not sound like a villian from a couple people. Personally I didn't have a problem with it. I think even the subtitled version is enjoyable to watch.

I really have to watch both movies now and pay better attention. Did you like the extra features on the dvd?
EyesOpen99 Wrote:Yeah I've talked to a lot of people who have said different things. Some people think some of the male characters voices are too feminine.

Really? Alec Baldwin, Ving Rhames, Steve Buscemi, Donald Sutherland and James Woods as feminine? Ok. I'd have to disagree heavily, but that's pretty much a personal opinion. Still, Ving Rhames and Donald Sutherland alone, not to mention James Woods. Not exactly feminine voices.

Quote:I've also heard that the dubbing is weird on a couple characters.

That's really odd, since the movie was the first to perfect 8-channel SDDS.

Quote:I also heard that Sephiroth's voice does not sound like a villian from a couple people. Personally I didn't have a problem with it. I think even the subtitled version is enjoyable to watch.

Sephiroth? Are we talking about the movie Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within or the game Final Fantasy VII? I don't recall Sephiroth making an appearance, let alone speaking, in The Spirit Within.

Quote:I really have to watch both movies now and pay better attention. Did you like the extra features on the dvd?

I haven't seen the DVD yet, so I can't speak to that. I saw the movie once when it was out in theaters (actually, it was my first drive-in). Haven't seen it since.

RobRoy Wrote:Really? Alec Baldwin, Ving Rhames, Steve Buscemi, Donald Sutherland and James Woods as feminine? Ok. I'd have to disagree heavily, but that's pretty much a personal opinion. Still, Ving Rhames and Donald Sutherland alone, not to mention James Woods. Not exactly feminine voices.

That's really odd, since the movie was the first to perfect 8-channel SDDS.

Sephiroth? Are we talking about the movie Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within or the game Final Fantasy VII? I don't recall Sephiroth making an appearance, let alone speaking, in The Spirit Within.

I haven't seen the DVD yet, so I can't speak to that. I saw the movie once when it was out in theaters (actually, it was my first drive-in). Haven't seen it since.

Sorry I hope I'm not spoiling anythign for you. I was actually talking about Advent Children. The voice of Sephiroth is a man named George Newbern who I think also did the voice for the last Kingdom Hearts. The only really recognizable voices on the English dubbed version are Rachel Leigh Cook and Mena Suvari. The vpice of Cloud is someone named Steve Burton who I think also did his voice in Kingdom Hearts.
EyesOpen99 Wrote:Sorry I hope I'm not spoiling anythign for you. I was actually talking about Advent Children. The voice of Sephiroth is a man named George Newbern who I think also did the voice for the last Kingdom Hearts. The only really recognizable voices on the English dubbed version are Rachel Leigh Cook and Mena Suvari. The vpice of Cloud is someone named Steve Burton who I think also did his voice in Kingdom Hearts.

Oh, ok. I've put the movie into my Netflix queue, so I'll be able to let you know what I think as soon as I've seen it.

Cool, hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think! Smile
Just bought FF7 Advent Children and watched it. Pretty good action scenes although I felt they were compensating for a weak story. Some of it seemed a bit too much like pandering to fanboy hopes but I must admit it was pretty enjoyable. Though 2 of the characters who reappeared looked to be pretty much dead in the game - it didn't really seem necessary to bring them both back.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
The action in Advent Children floored me. I just dont think they did enough explaining of the story. I mean, I hadnt played the game in over 7 years.
I'm sorry but i cannot say that final fantasy will ever match up to Star Wars.
i thought that the story was quite accesible to those who have not played the game but as a veteran of the games i found myself immedietly picking up the sotryline. some characters who make short and sudden appearances, ie Vincent (one of my favorite characters of all time) i was able to understand exactly what their role was and where they fit in. if i remember correctly the game (FF7) that is takes somewhere in the ballpark of 30 hours play time to complete, and movie is only 1.5 hrs, so there is quite a bit of underlying story explained in those 30 hrs that are not even touched on, but the film makes an extremely good effort nonetheless.
"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New C.S Lewis Movie bilbobaggins764 0 9 7 hours ago
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Remember the Don Bluth movie : The Secret of NIMH badlands 0 75 July 27th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Last Post: badlands
  This civil rights leader’s story should be a movie badlands 1 71 July 25th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Ali Pourahmad directed an amazing sci fi movie Aliens Reaction scifilover 0 113 July 12th, 2021, 04:05 AM
Last Post: scifilover
  Does anyone recognize this movie? FilmGuy 0 66 July 4th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Reboot of this old classic B movie The Last dinosaur badlands 1 140 March 28th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Edelweiss pirates movie badlands 1 163 March 21st, 2021, 10:58 PM
  Colorized Movie - "The Phantom Planet" Michael 0 569 November 26th, 2020, 05:09 PM
  Dungeon and Dragons movie again badlands 1 432 November 4th, 2020, 12:11 PM
  G.I Joe and fore night crossover movie badlands 1 366 November 4th, 2020, 11:52 AM