SAT Executives Summoned for Errors
Education Secretary Margaret Spellings summoned executives from testing companies and the College Board to a meeting Tuesday that focused on industry practices in the wake of a high-profile scoring error on the SAT college entrance exam.

Deputy Education Secretary Ray Simon said Spellings called the hour-long meeting in Washington to discuss the SAT error and try to evaluate whether the testing industry can accurately handle the growing number of high-stakes, state-level tests under the No Child Left Behind law.

"From the very beginning we had concerns about the capacity ... of the companies to handle NCLB testing," Simon said in a telephone briefing for reporters. "These things were brought to a head with some of the recent scoring errors that have been reported. Obviously we're concerned about that. Is that going to be a trend? Is it an aberration?"

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Education Secretary Margaret Spellings summoned executives from testing companies and the College Board to a meeting Tuesday that focused on industry practices in the wake of a high-profile scoring error on the SAT college entrance exam.

Read the rest here.

In Britain we have had similar issues regarding grading papers. Some parents have asked for papers to be regraded. When you know what your child is capable of, and the result does not make sense, then it should be every parent's right to request a regrade.

With love.
Lorne.
:book: My son took the SAT's in the month most under scrutiny (Oct.'05) at one of the testing sites in question. I suspected something was wrong because, although supremely lazy, he is one of those people who "test well". His English score seemed ok (not the score of a type A personality, but respectably above average) but his math was miserable. This seemed odd since he won a state scholarship based on a standardized test that he took as a sophomore. The people I spoke to from SAT thought that it had something to do with the switch to the new scoring system (well, duh! :crazy: ) and "that it was not likely to happen again". Since his specific test had not been identified as graded incorrectly, I was going to have a fight on my hands. I didn't pursue it, because he got into U Mass and he wasn't willing to test again, should it come to that.
But it makes me wonder how many lives were screwed up...my son is very independent, but I have found so many times during his high school years that having a scrappy Leo mom has swung many a pendulum! :bg:
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Not a fan of the SAT's at all

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Note on the forum errors 0 80 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: