Hudson Leick on Sci-Fi: A.I. Assault - Wed. 6/10 @ 3 AM

Hudson Leick, aka Callisto, joins the growing ranks of genre stars and Xena alums to do a Sat. night Sci-Fi Channel creature feature (Tony Todd in "Minotaur," Adrienne Wilkinson in "Interceptor Force 2," Vicky Pratt in "House of the Dead 2," Renee O'Connor and Bruce Campbell in "Alien Apocalypse," Tamara Gorski with Bruce in "Screaming Brain" and in "Anonymous Rex," Ted Raimi in "Brain" and the upcoming "Raptor Island 2: Raptor Planet," and Shiri Appleby in "Darklight.") Hudson will be in "A. I. Assault," which debuts on Sat. night, May 6th, 9 PM EDT on the Sci-Fi Channel.

The site is http://www.scifi.com/aiassault/

It stars Michael Dorn (Mr. Worf) Joe Lando (Dr. Quinn's boyfriend) Robert Picardo (the Emergency Medical Hologram) Bill Mumy ("Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" "Save me William, save me! Not you, you bubble-headed booby!") and Alexandra Paul ("Baywatch.")

From Sci-Fi Wire:

Quote:Joe Lando... told SCI FI Wire that he takes on a new enemy in the movie. Lando previously starred in SCI FI's Bloodsuckers, about vampires. In A.I. Assault, he said: "I'm battling robots in that one. I'm working for the government again. I've been having those kinds of roles lately, and the guy I'm playing is going in to neutralize some robots that have been developed to fight in situations like the Iraqi war."

A.I. Assault co-stars such genre veterans as Star Trek's Michael Dorn and Robert Picardo, Baywatch's Alexandra Paul, Babylon 5's Bill Mumy and Xena: Warrior Princess's Hudson Leick.

"The robots are used in urban combat so that soldiers don't get wiped out," Lando said. "What happens is that a plane carrying these two robots crashes in an electrical storm, which activates the robots. All the robots know is to basically kill what attacks them. I have to go out and hunt them down, and I have this beautiful young doctor with me, who's played by an actress named Lisa Lo Cicero, who was lots of fun.... It's definitely a hot movie." A.I. Assault premieres at 9 p.m. ET/PT on May 6.

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Blast! I just read that at Sci-Fi Wire and thought "Hey! I'll zip over to the Xena board and post that Hudson Leick finally has a new project coming out. Won't I be clever!"

I should have known that the all seeing eyes of august would beat me to it. :bg:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see something new from Hudson. I was wondering if she'd given up on the acting there for a while!
Blast! I just read that at Sci-Fi Wire and thought "Hey! I'll zip over to the Xena board and post that Hudson Leick finally has a new project coming out. Won't I be clever!"

I should have known that the all seeing eyes of august would beat me to it. :bg:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see something new from Hudson. I was wondering if she'd given up on the acting there for a while!
"A.I. Assault" airs again tomorrow night (i.e. Thursday 5/11) at 9 PM EDT on Sci-Fi.

[Image: aiassaultpic2.jpg]

[Image: aiassaultpic1.jpg]

Also in it (in cameos, like just about everyone else) are George Takei and Tim Thomerson (Meleager in XWP, plus the Dollman and Trancers movies.)

It's pretty much what you'd expect. Hudson plays a bimbo whose main purpose it to look cute and scream her head off whenever the robots kill someone.

She makes it to
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
the 1 hour and 40 minute mark; only four characters survive her, and one only by a few seconds. Her death is the lead-in for the next-to-last commercial break, since you have to have one just before cutting to each commercial - them's the rules.

The real stars are Joe Lando as the leader of the commandos, Josh Coxx (Lt. David Corwin from "Babylon 5") as a helicopter pilot, and Lisa LoCicero (Reno 911, the voices in several Trek video games, and Tom and Belanna's alt-future adult daughter in "Voyager") as one of the scientists who designed the "Ro-Battalion."

This is basically a low-budget sfxploitation film (I just coined that term the other day!) designed to lure people in with a bunch of Star Trek alums in cameo roles. No more, no less. From the channel that gave you "SS Doomtrooper." :tongue:

I thought Hudson did a very good job, and showed what a good actress she is, not that this required any great effort. But she basically does play a screaming bimbo, which is of course 180 degrees removed from her role as Callisto.

It's the sort of role that's there for no reason other than to get zapped by the titular creatures.... normally it's played by someone 10-15 years younger, and there's a gratuitous nude scene. (And who knows - maybe there will be in the dvd version! :love: )

There wasn't any plot per se to this beyond the title (as opposed to some theme about human vs. artificial intelligence... or man's inhumanity to man, etc. ) If anything, it's basically a remake of Raptor Island, except with killer robots instead of raptors. Three separate groups end up on an island - the plane carrying the killer robots (they're all finished except for their obedience programming :eek: strangely enough ) a group of commandos sent to find out what happened to that plane... and a group of armed robbers whose escape helicopter crashes there. Hudson plays the girlfriend of the main bad guy.

Interestingly, most of the other "name genre" stars have glorified cameos. Spoilers follow.....
Alexandra Paul, light years removed from her Baywatch days, is in one scene only, as the second wife of the designer of the killer 'bots. Robert Picardo is said designer - he turns up for about 10 crucial seconds in addition to the plane crash scene. George Takei is in the same scene, as the ill-fated pilot of the plane. Michael Dorn has a slightly larger role (comparable to the Peter Jason role in Raptor Island) as a general back in DC, constantly on the phone to people on the scene, barking out orders and deperately trying to hide that he's in a studio filming his scenes far removed from the rest of the movie, accompanied only by his faithful aide, played by Bill(y) Mumy. Tim Thomerson is an admiral on board a ship off the coast of the rapto...errr... robot island, stationed there basically to be on the other end of the phone when Dorn's character calls. He has about 2 minutes of screen time - one of the plots is the old "we've got to finish the mission by dawn before the military nukes the whole place" used in Raptor Island, Manticore, and House of the Dead 2: Dead Aim. He really needs to grow his beard back - without it, he looks like Nick Nolte's DUI mug shot. :bounce:

For what this is, the sfx are among the best I've seen - i.e. the killer bots (which are sort of like miniature versions of the War of the Words tripods, except w/ Doc Ock's 4 arms) really do look like they are right there with the characters.

I will say this - it's also one of the best uses I've ever seen of an in media res beginning. We get the requisite action, fx and gore in the first 5 minutes to keep the audience tuned in, and we know within 60 seconds the whole backstory and set-up for the plot.

But realistically, unless you can point to 20 or 30 made-for-Sci-Fi or direct-to-dvd low budget genre films that you've enjoyed more than the other 150 or so that they've aired in the last couple of years... chances are slender that you'll like this either.

BTW, this was directed by Jim Wynorski, whose previous credits include:

Komodo vs. Cobra
Gargoyle: Wings of Darkness,
The Curse of the Komodo
Raptor
Ghoulies IV
The Return of Swamp Thing
Big Bad Mama II
Deathstalker II
Scream Queen Hot Tub Party
Sorority House Massacre II
The Witches of Breastwick, The Bare Wench Project
he Bare Wench Project 2: Scared Topless
....and of course The Bare Wench Project 3: Nymphs of Mystery Mountain. :clap: :bounce:

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
"A.I. Assault" airs again tomorrow night (i.e. Thursday 5/11) at 9 PM EDT on Sci-Fi.

Hey, that's a great term, sfxpolotaition! Wow...real prestigeous director, too, huh? :bg:
Hey, that's a great term, sfxpolotaition! Wow...real prestigeous director, too, huh? :bg:
"AI Assault" is being rerun on Sci-Fi Sunday 9/2 at 9 PM EDT.

Sully from Dr. Quinn, Callisto and Meleager from XWP, Sulu from Trek, Worf from Trek: TNG, the Doctor from Voyager, Stephanie from Baywatch, David Corwin from Babylon 5, and Will Robinson from Lost in Space vs. giant killer robots.
"AI Assault" is being rerun on Sci-Fi Sunday 9/2 at 9 PM EDT.
august Wrote:
It's pretty much what you'd expect. Hudson plays a bimbo whose main purpose it to look cute and scream her head off whenever the robots kill someone.

I thought Hudson did a very good job, and showed what a good actress she is, not that this required any great effort. But she basically does play a screaming bimbo, which is of course 180 degrees removed from her role as Callisto.

Is it really? :bounce:
juicy flawless.org

:cheergirl:
august Wrote:

Is it really? :bounce:
juicy flawless.org

:cheergirl:
This is a direct-to-dvd horror film that has its TV premiere on "Sci-Fi Saturday" - Sat. Dec. 22nd at 9 PM.

Quote:After she becomes stranded in a small town, a young woman discovers her arrival there was foretold a century earlier by the town's founding preacher and that she is an integral part of his impending - and terrifying - rebirth.

Quote:Hallowed Ground features a outstanding performance by Jaimie Alexander, (Rest Stop, Kyle XY) hailed as one of the new generation of scream queens by USA Today, alongside Brian McNamara (Arachnophobia, Billionaire Boys Club) and Hudson Leick (Xena: Warrior Princess). In the scary vein of such classics horror film as Jeepers Creepers and Children of the Corn, David Benullo (Around the World in 80 Days) makes his chilling directorial debut in a film that is packed with bone-chilling suspense and unforgettable gory images.

From a review at PopSyndicate.com (warning: spoilers follow) :

Quote:A young woman named Liz (Jaimie Alexander), who has recently lost her two-year-old son, has taken to the road to try and deal with her grief, but her car breaks down in the sleepy town of Hope. There she meets a reporter (Hudson Liek, Callisto from Xena) who tells her the legend of the town, and how it was once dominated by a deranged priest named Jonas Hathaway (Nick Chinlund) who indulges in ritual sacrifices, nailing innocent victims dressed as scarecrows to wooden crosses in order to keep the crows away from their crops. Folk from a neigboring town ultimately captured Hathaway and burned him at one of his own stakes, but his spirit, it seems, survived.

Hallowed Ground is a tough review, because, while the film is slickly made with excellent performances, the script is really just a jumble of cliches, with bits-and-bobs cribbed from other films and stories. Ironically, this is also the films biggest asset; because the script keeps taking left turns, never sticking to one plot thread for an extended period, it manages to foster interest, even when its basically rehashing old stuff. ....

It is the highlight of a day of scary ghost/vampire/western/California movies, including:

- "Dark Prince" at 9 AM (the USA bio film about Vlad the Impaler - Xander Harris would add the suffix "-bater" to the title )
- "Bloodsuckers" at 11 AM (one the two best vampires-in-outer-space movies ever made [SIZE="1"]*cough* ok, there are only 2[/SIZE] )
- "John Carpenter Presents: Vampires: Los Muertos" at 1 PM (Jon Bon Jovi vs. vampires in the Mexico)
- "Children of the Corn" at 3 PM (Sarah Connor plus Gary from 30-Something vs. children. In the corn.)
- "From Dusk 'til Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money" at 5 PM (Agent Doggett - aka the T-1000 - vs. vampires out west, with cameos by Bruce Campbell and Kelly from "Saved By the Bell" - directed by Bruce's long-time buddy Scott Spiegel)
- "From Dusk 'til Dawn 3 - The Hangman's Daughter" at 7 PM (Old West prequel to the above w/ Marco Leonardi and Tem Morrison)
- "Clive Barker's The Plague" at 11 PM
- "Legion of the Dead" at 1 AM (aka "the naked Egyptian sorceress-queen in California movie" )
- "Darklight" at 3 AM, starring Shiri Appleby (Tara) as Lilith (the bat-winged one, not Frasier's wife)
It's scheduled to run again on Sci-Fi at 9 PM on Sunday night, Jan. 20th, then again Sunday night, Feb. 10th also at 9 PM.
Bumping up for tonight's airing in Sci-Fi....
This will air again on Sci-Fi Th. 4/23 at 11 PM.
Why do I have so many double posts in this thread? Weird.

On a related note, did this get a DVD release? I haven't seen Hudson since the Tru Calling pilot, I'd like to see her in something.
Yep, it was released to dvd Nov. 7th of that year, although apparently under its original title of "Shockwave." Some details here and here.

This isn't exactly her greatest moment on screen - while I haven't seen this one, I'd say check out these clips from One, Two, Many for better memories of her. :bg:

And I think last year I had merged this thread with the one for "Hallowed Ground," and accidentally copied it instead, so when I merged them together it created the double posts. D'oh!
Thanks for the info. It's a Roger Corman, huh? How can you go wrong? :bg: I guess I didn't care much for that Cyclops movie....

Even if A.I. Assualt/Shockwave is pretty bad, it's got Dorn and Picardo, too, so it should be enough to keep me entertained.

In the case of "One, Two, Many" I think those National Lampoons direct to DVD titles are probably as bad as the sci fi movies! :bg:
It's not Corman - it's just directed by Jim Wynorski, who did about a million films for Corman. But it might as well be. Smile

Dorn and Picardo have pretty minimal screen time (see my comments above) but you also get Dollman (Tim Thomerson) Sulu (George Takei) "danger Will Robinson!" (Billy Mumy) Babylon 5's David Corwin (Joshua Cox) Stephanie from Baywatch (Alexandra Paul) and Sully from Dr. Quinn (Joe Lando.)

And the Trek connection continues, since Lando played "Shore Patrolman" in Star Trek IV (wouldn't be surprised if he was the one whom Chekov asked about nuclear wessels) and Lisa LoCicero played the adult Miral Paris (daughter of Tom and B'Elanna) in the Voyager finale. Plus she's done voices for a number of the Trek video games.

And you're right about those National Lampoon films..... but Hudson looks incredible in that clip .... Heart

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hudson Leick Yoga Workshop august 4 1,020 May 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  May 9th - Hudson Leick turns 35! august 5 953 May 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Last Post: august
  it's a BIG day today...it's Hudson's birthday!!! CorXena 24 1,425 May 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM
  Hudson Leick's episode of Fastlane on G4 Boomstick 2 796 February 21st, 2006, 02:26 AM
  Hudson Leick on CSI - Oct. 6th august 3 1,189 December 16th, 2005, 01:18 AM
  Hudson attending Xena Con!! The awesome "Callisto" finalfrontier 1 489 October 14th, 2004, 09:18 PM
  Hudson Leick in "Chill Factor" at 10 on TBS august 0 489 November 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM
  Hudson Leick to appear on Tru Calling Michael 2 671 September 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Last Post: gatorqueen
  Hudson Leick Fan Mail Address bobsessive 0 609 August 29th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Last Post: bobsessive
  Tru Calling - Hudson's appearance on the show Akasha 1 483 August 11th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Last Post: gatorqueen