favorite weapon
hey! which weapon would you like to have the most? I would like to have legolas swords which hw only uses at helms deep
legolas knifes is cool, but the elf bows coolest, i'll think all the elf things is cool " I like the elves":boar: , but the coolest sword is narsil or anduril.
.....i can't remember the name.....

But it's the sword of the king of gondor, aragorn uses it to sumon the army of the dead, that sword is awsome!

:thud:
masterzap13 Wrote:.....i can't remember the name.....

But it's the sword of the king of gondor, aragorn uses it to sumon the army of the dead, that sword is awsome!

:thud:

An excellent choice. The name of the sword is Anduril, which means Flame of the West. It was reforged from the peices of Narsil, shattered when Elendil and Gil-Galad confronted Sauron in personal combat.

[Image: anduril.jpg]

The sword is even more impressive in the text, it glowed constantly and gave hope to the men who saw it. I am uncertain if this was a power of the sword, the man who weilded it, or the power of it as a symbol. In any case, it is quite an impressive blade.

For my money, from the movies, I would go with Arwen's sword, Hadhafang.

[Image: hadhafang.jpg]

It is not mentioned in the books, but the look and feel of this sword, to me, is elegant and deadly at the same time. It is a nice embodiment of the elves, similar to the knives and bow given to Legolas.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Give me Boromir's stuff. A sword and a nice sturdy shield would suit me best... i don't trust myself blocking an orc-sword with my sword. That's what my shield would be fore
Don't do nothing.
the elf swords are cool. But a ladies handbag is probably even better.!! did arwen have a handbag?
:crazy: If at first you dont succeed, skydiving may not be for you! :crazy:
Captiang Wrote:Give me Boromir's stuff. A sword and a nice sturdy shield would suit me best... i don't trust myself blocking an orc-sword with my sword. That's what my shield would be fore

Another good choice. Boromir's sword is not given a name, but within the text it is given a lineage, though lesser than that of Anduril. All of Boromir's equipment was of excellent work, and was used by him in many battles and fights.

[Image: T1133]

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
onwe Wrote:the elf swords are cool. But a ladies handbag is probably even better.!! did arwen have a handbag?

There's no mention of a handbag, but she apparently was rather clever with needle and thread! :crown:

I like legolasis bow
madhound26 Wrote:I like legolasis bow

Which one? He had two during the course of the movies.

Im not sure, maybe some random orc weapon?
In the book, Legolas was given a new bow and arrows in Lorien, with which he brought down one of the Naxguls' flying critters. I don't think any of that was in the movies.

Movie-Anduril is quite an impressive sword, as well it should be. In the book, Aragorn got into an argument over it with Hama Theoden's doorwarden at Edoras and threatened anyone who drew it while it was deposited. The movie sword design is interesting. It is a one-handed sword, but quite long. I suppose that extension below the hilt is intended as a counterbalance? Boromir's sword appears more conventional. As to Arwen's sword, I notice it lacks a hilt guard, like a machete. She must be a heckuva swordswoman not to lose half her hand at some point (or never uses it except to surprise her boyfriend in the forest)!

How about - DA BOMB! The explosive charge Saruman's forces used at Helm's Deep! (This was in the book, BTW) Plus: an Uruk-Hai to do an "Olympic Torch Run" to light it, so I won't have to! (that was not in the book!)
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Yalmuk Wrote:Im not sure, maybe some random orc weapon?

Another interesting choice. What the orcs lacked in grace, refinement or even skill, they certainly made up for in mass-produced and powerful looking weapons. For example the Uruk Hai swords from the movie:

[Image: UC1309%20on%20plaque.jpg]

Very much a machette-type weapon for hack and slash type action. No fancy finesse here. The bent tip could add extra weight to a strike (though not too much) but also could be used to put neat holes in an elf's armor and skin on a backstroke. The closest thing to Orc-art!

Alvin Eriol Wrote:In the book, Legolas was given a new bow and arrows in Lorien, with which he brought down one of the Naxguls' flying critters. I don't think any of that was in the movies.

The gifts of Lorien scene was in the extended edition. Otherwise, you just had to know it had happened and that's why Legolas' bow changed from before Loth Lorien and after.

Quote:As to Arwen's sword, I notice it lacks a hilt guard, like a machete. She must be a heckuva swordswoman not to lose half her hand at some point (or never uses it except to surprise her boyfriend in the forest)!

I considered it more of a katana-type effort, although I agree. Catching another blade, even on the thorn-like spurs would require . . . dare I say it . . . expert timing? She'd have to be fast as lightning! :bg:

Keep your swords. Sarumon's staff is as cool as the other side of the pillow! I even made one in 1/6th scale.

[Image: Saru1.jpg]
Gandalf's sword, Glamdring! Same Elder-days elven "tech" as Sting! Former personal weapon of Turgon, King of Gondolin! Took down a Balrog with it, & probably coulda whacked the Nazgul Lord / Witch-King as well, given the chance! The one sword extant in Middle-Earth, as of the time of the War of the Ring, of even more storied lineage than Anduril. The hilt has that counterbalance/ extra handle extension too, tho not as pronounced. :crown:
[Image: glamdring.jpg]
FTM the WK's sword would be wicked too, even if it's not burning! Extra long hilt to wield 2-handed if necessary? Presumably based on a late Numenorean pattern. If you get in too close & inside his guard (which you wouldn't; you'd run off screaming) better watch out for a sneaky backhand with that pointy pommel! :devil:
[Image: witchking.jpg]

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having an Uruk-Hai sword to use on my back five wooded acres! In fact I own an implement that's not very dissimilar, that I was given to understand was intended for harvesting sugar cane. It's edged only on the curved front side, it's very broad, it has a broad flat end, and it has a sort of hook on the backside of the end for pulling cane or vines closer.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
My favourite weapon would definitely have to be Anduril but I wouldn't mind one of Gimli's battleaxes!
Arathorn
Arathorn Wrote:My favourite weapon would definitely have to be Anduril but I wouldn't mind one of Gimli's battleaxes!

Gimli's battleaxes were an interesting creation, as was the entire Dwarf culture. On the commentaries, as I recall, they mentioned that they attempted to take all curves away, and leave only edges and lines. It was a good choice, I think. As you can see, there's very little curve to Gimli's great ax blade at all, and any detail work, including the handle, is all lines and angles.

[Image: UC1397ABNB%20on%20plaque_small.jpg]

After gandalf becomes the white wzard, i like his staff but otherwise gimli's axe is my fav
i like how they make aragorns sword. kinda cool how they put it together after it broke. i guess its kinda cool because it...well... delayed sarans next attack
Hmmm, Anduril is not bad but my favourite is Narsil.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Axe is no Weapon for a Rider Coconut Ent 14 1,189 August 18th, 2020, 06:15 PM
Last Post: NoelWellington
  Tolkien's favorite artists badlands 0 326 August 7th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Last Post: badlands
  what is your favorite part or least favorite of the movies badlands 9 1,445 May 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Last Post: dasher
  your favorite and least favorite part of the book badlands 0 786 February 25th, 2009, 01:38 AM
  favorite god badlands 0 773 July 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
  your favorite character and most one in the series and movie? badlands 11 1,207 June 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Last Post: wezan
  ~What is Your Favorite LOTR Character??? heroic_aragorn_lover 5 1,114 September 16th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Mienna
  Favorite Scenes in LOTR Kierriana 2 802 August 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Jon Nelson
  Favorite(s) MIDDLE EARTH place IronMorgoth 39 3,925 August 19th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Last Post: heroic_aragorn_lover
  Favorite C.S. Lewis Book redbig 10 1,552 August 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol