Poll: Should Michaelangelo's statue "David" be clothed? If so, what shall it wear?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Boxer shorts
12.50%
1 12.50%
Towel
25.00%
2 25.00%
loin-cloth
25.00%
2 25.00%
Greek chiton tunic
0%
0 0%
Roman Toga
12.50%
1 12.50%
Ancient Jewish garb
25.00%
2 25.00%
Rabbi's clothing
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Dressing Michaelangelo's "David"
If you had to clothe Michaelangelo's statue, "David", what shall it wear?

[Image: r_Florence64.jpg]

(I didn't want to show a frontal of him Wink )

And feel free to suggest other coverings... I just thought of "grass skirt". but don't know how to edit the poll to add it in.
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
At the risk of starting a huge fight. WHY??

1) Victorian morals- can't have indecent naked men on public display.

2) Naked men make me uncomfortable. they look better than me.

3) i'm bored and I thought this would be a fun game.

If it's 3, I'll bite.

Nice pair of thong underwear, red is my fav color
Grab Robroy's kilt when he's not looking... the statue would look fabulous in it. :bg:

(Yeah, I was bored and couldn't think of anythong... I mean anything. Dammit... Confusedcare: :laugh:

Maybe he can borrow Donatello's David's hat (everyone knows you can leave your hat on...is that too dated an allusion?) :poke:
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Personally, I like him nekkid.

A kilt would have been a cool option. As would a figure of Venus clinging to his leg a la Frank Frazetta.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Maybe it's better leave David, naked. But, if some reason David, would get clothe's it should be Roman Toga.
c'mon folks, we can't overlook the white towels from top gun (it's a movie starring tom cruise if the name doesn't strike familiar)...just some steam from a really big shower, and he's all set.
Don't do nothing.
Spartan armour!

That way he'd be way cool and still butt naked.
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
He should IMO be dressed as what he supposedly was at the time the sculpture supposedly depicts: a Hebrew shepherd youth of the 10th century B.C. Almost certainly this would include a simple modest tunic similar to the Roman "colobium" and sturdy footwear of the period. Israelite men, I am given to understand, dressed modestly since the time of Abraham, and would not have gone barechested or in just a loincloth or anything of the sort. (The Jewish youth who was supposedly Michaelangelo's model probably thoroughly scandalized his community!) You might provide him with a hooded wool cloak perhaps rolled into a bedroll. Accessorize him with the rod and staff of the shepherd, his sling and pouch, and perhaps his harp.

If you squint, he might slightly resemble young Luke Skywalker outdoors on his uncle's farm on Tatooine (sans the gadgets and hi-tech boots of course), but with his arms mostly bare, and bare legs from the knee down to the footwear.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Alvin Eriol Wrote:He should IMO be dressed as what he supposedly was at the time the sculpture supposedly depicts: a Hebrew shepherd youth of the 10th century B.C.

Oooh! Oooh!

A scantily clad sheep clingning to his leg a la Frank Frazetta.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Now that would make a few waves in the art community Huh
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:Oooh! Oooh!

Who's Frank Fazetta? And why/when was he dressed like a sheep? :confused:

I don't suppose there are copies of this statue standing around in saunas?

Speaking of sheep, I recall the (Disney?) movie Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Upon exiting Mount Stromboli, one of the characters loses his clothing and lands in a nunnery. After asking the nuns for "pantaloons" to no avail, he picks a sheep and covers his delicate bits.

:bug:

If somebody said they would do a nude statue of you, would you consent to it?

Coconut Ent Wrote:Who's Frank Fazetta? And why/when was he dressed like a sheep? :confused:

Frank Frazetta is the artist responsible for mosty of the old Conan the Barbarian covers, usually featuring the loincloth clad barbarian with a naked nubile slave girl hanging onto his leg.

http://frazettaartgallery.com/ff/index.html

moif Wrote:Spartan armour!

That way he'd be way cool and still butt naked.

Like this?

[Image: Greek_Hoplite.jpg]

Can you imagine going into battle, with all those sharp bits of metal flying about, with your todger hanging out?

Those guys were hard core!
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:Oooh! Oooh!

I just knew somebody was going to go there!
Quote:Now that would make a few waves in the art community

I dunno about that. It would probably be considered too trite and blase by today's standards to even land a federal grant!
Quote:If somebody said they would do a nude statue of you, would you consent to it?

In my case, I'd have to wonder about their mental health. Besides, slender subjects represent a smaller cost in expensive high-quality marble or bronze.
Quote:Can you imagine going into battle, with all those sharp bits of metal flying about, with your todger hanging out?

Those guys were hard core!

I think that was the idea. A number of ancient and primitive societies believe(d) in protective/victorious magic from fighting nude. If nothing else they were sending the message that they disdained armor and basically dared the enemy to try hitting them somewhere sensitive! IIRC some of the Celtic tribes that got into dust-ups with the Romans in Gaul fought naked.

Even in recent times, some non-primitives felt that way. Anybody remember the Liberian militia leader Joshua Milton Blahyi, a.k.a. "General Butt Naked", who led his mercenaries and gangsters in that condition for a time during the civil wars? (He has since repented, gotten dressed, and become a Christian evangelist)
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Its no wonder the Romans defeated them then!

"Hey Crassus, look out for that soft fleshy bit to your right!!"
"Take that Asterix!"
*Chop*
Haven't heard the word "todger" for a very long time... Wink

A relic of my bisgotten childhood :laugh:
Quote:Quote:
If somebody said they would do a nude statue of you, would you consent to it?

In my case, I'd have to wonder about their mental health. Besides, slender subjects represent a smaller cost in expensive high-quality marble or bronze.

In the case of stone sculpture, there would less hacking away involved I suppose. A male version of Venus of Willendorf... but I trust you are exaggerating your girth!

[Image: willendorf.gif]

It's not such a bad thing to be considered a fertility symbol though...

I don't know how you feel about wearing a Toga or a grass skirt (or putting them on your nude statue) though...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  David Copperfield works a little magic with thieves RobRoy 1 780 May 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Lorne
  New Book: David Masiel, "The Western Limit of the World" charleskinbote 1 380 April 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Lorne
  David Lynch - Twin Peaks Cuchulainn 3 435 September 13th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Unregistered
  David Krumholtz 0 26 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: