And the Winner Is . . .
HOBBIT Wrote:RobRoy - What is the connection with not having cable and not watching? The 78th Academy Awards was broadcast on ABC. It is always broadcast on broadcast over the air channels.

Plus, only large cities are assured of having a local ABC affiliate, so that there is even a chance of getting good reception. My home town is the capitol of our state, but until a few years ago when a new owner significantly boosted the transmission power of our ABC channel... you couldn't even get it if you were more than 15 miles or so outside of town... unless you had cable.

Some years back I lived in Athens, Georgia, which is a thriving college town - even then there were 50,000 or more people there, and it was home to a famous football team, bands like REM and the B-52's in their heyday, palatial mansions of people like Kenny Rogers and Kim Basinger... but you had to cross your fingers and hope to be able to pick up *any* tv stations. On a good day you might get one from Atlanta, c. 70 miles away. Unless of course... you had cable.

Much of the country is rural, and so without cable, you might not get ABC.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:Some years back I lived in Athens, Georgia, which is a thriving college town - even then there were 50,000 or more people there, and it was home to a famous football team, bands like REM and the B-52's in their heyday, palatial mansions of people like Kenny Rogers and Kim Basinger... but you had to cross your fingers and hope to be able to pick up *any* tv stations. On a good day you might get one from Atlanta, c. 70 miles away. Unless of course... you had cable.

Interesting. I thought back on it and realized that for the majority of my life, I've actually done without cable or network television. When I lived in mega-rural Battle Mountain, Nevada, we had two antenneas (antenni?) and still only managed to pull down mostly static. Most people who wanted entertainment had a satellite, and not those little dish things, but the big, mega-beasts that would frequently phase small children into another dimension. In college, the super-mega rural town of Portales, New Mexico boasted a translator station, but due to budget constraints it would only show one station for four hours a day . . . and not the good hours either.

It's probably for this reason that I have such a love of movies (since I rented everything any anything) and such an abhorance of commercials.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feast (Project Greenlight genre film winner) on HBO 4:25 AM tonight (early Mon. AM) august 0 666 May 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Last Post: august
  Seabiscuit: A Winner Bern 14 988 August 11th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Ursa