which starwars scene would you like to change
But it is interesting especially with Lucas' mantra that he knew what was going to happen "all along".

Clearly, if that were the case, this scene wouldn't have been written, scripted or even shot. The single kiss would have been enough, especially since it was more or less directed at Han rather than Luke.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:But it is interesting especially with Lucas' mantra that he knew what was going to happen "all along".

Clearly, if that were the case, this scene wouldn't have been written, scripted or even shot. The single kiss would have been enough, especially since it was more or less directed at Han rather than Luke.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I've said before that I just don't buy this whole story abot GL having the whole thing mapped out in his mind. There's just too many inconsistencies for my liking.

Which brings me on to another scene I would change. Well maybe not the scene, but the dialogue, certainly...

The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan in a New Hope. Why, why, why does Ben call him 'Darth' like it's his first name? Even if he were to use his Sith name he would call him Vader instead, Darth is just a kind of title. And surely he would call him Anakin? OK, so if viewed in release order, this does kind of give the surprise away, but if, as GL suggests, we are supposed to watch the films in episode order, the dialogue makes no sense.
Jammin Wrote:Oh, I absolutely agree. I've said before that I just don't buy this whole story abot GL having the whole thing mapped out in his mind. There's just too many inconsistencies for my liking.

Which brings me on to another scene I would change. Well maybe not the scene, but the dialogue, certainly...

The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan in a New Hope. Why, why, why does Ben call him 'Darth' like it's his first name? Even if he were to use his Sith name he would call him Vader instead, Darth is just a kind of title. And surely he would call him Anakin? OK, so if viewed in release order, this does kind of give the surprise away, but if, as GL suggests, we are supposed to watch the films in episode order, the dialogue makes no sense.

Well I'dve thought Lucas would have known Luke and Leia were going to be sisters, surely that scene was to throw the audience. And there have been real life cases in the past where split up brothers and sisters have been reunited and fallen in love.

On Obi-Wan calling Vader 'Darth', it probably was because Guinness misinterpreted what it was. But then again, as Kenobi would say, from a certain point of view, he might have been right. When in the OT is the Sith or Darth as a title mentioned? Was Darth a first name in the OT, and then Lucas changed his mind? And Obi-Wan would never have called him Anakin, as he said to Luke, the good man that was Anakin was destroyed. By Obi-Wan's point of view, Anakin was dead, which of course was wrong, he was just a needle in a haystack of evil. So Obi-Wan would never call Vader Anakin, because he saw Anakin as dead.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-
General Grievous is a whole lot easier to say.
Pechark Wrote:On Obi-Wan calling Vader 'Darth', it probably was because Guinness misinterpreted what it was. But then again, as Kenobi would say, from a certain point of view, he might have been right.

Naw. I'm not buying that Sir Alec Guinness, five time Oscar nominee and winner for Best Actor in The Bridge over the River Kwai "misinterpreted" that line. Occam's Razor doesn't always apply, but it certainly seems appropiate here.

Quote:When in the OT is the Sith or Darth as a title mentioned? Was Darth a first name in the OT, and then Lucas changed his mind? And Obi-Wan would never have called him Anakin, as he said to Luke, the good man that was Anakin was destroyed.

We could say, within the universe, that Obi-Wan was mocking Vader. This argument I would buy. Sorta like Han saying, in clearly sarcastic tones, "Your highness" or "Your worship."

Quote:By Obi-Wan's point of view, Anakin was dead, which of course was wrong, he was just a needle in a haystack of evil. So Obi-Wan would never call Vader Anakin, because he saw Anakin as dead.

This was only, as far as I believe, used by Obi-Wan to soften the blow for Luke. You don't walk up to a kid and say, "Hey, you're pretty talented, but don't blow it like your pop, Adolph Hitler."

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:This was only, as far as I believe, used by Obi-Wan to soften the blow for Luke. You don't walk up to a kid and say, "Hey, you're pretty talented, but don't blow it like your pop, Adolph Hitler."

I don't think so. Obi-Wan maintained even after telling Luke that he was totally evil. "He's more machine now than man"

On another problem, why does Vader always have to go on about not underestimating the dark side and how well Obi-Wan's taught Luke? The lines get a bit old when you've heard them a couple of times. A particularly bad one is in ANH, when Vader says that no power is more powerful than the Dark Side. That line is just too lame for me.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-
Pechark Wrote:I don't think so. Obi-Wan maintained even after telling Luke that he was totally evil. "He's more machine now than man"

I don't know that that's true. Obi-Wan seems to hesitate over these matters more than once. He does try to council Luke out of trying to save Anakin, but at the same time, there is the insistance that Luke must face Vader again. Obi-Wan doesn't state that Vader must be destroyed, regardless of the goodness that is left to Anakin. Just that Luke must face his father.

Quote:A particularly bad one is in ANH, when Vader says that no power is more powerful than the Dark Side. That line is just too lame for me.

I don't recall him saying that. He did say something along the lines of, "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've created. The power of this battle station is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Does anyone even mention the Dark Side of the Force in A New Hope?

That's the line I meant, but as I remember it, it was the dark side of the Force. But perhaps I am wrong.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-
Pechark Wrote:That's the line I meant, but as I remember it, it was the dark side of the Force. But perhaps I am wrong.

I don't know specifically, and any scripts found on line are suspect, at best. I'll try to view the movie tonight and see the line.

I found this at Blue Harvest and they are reasonably accurate:

MOTTI: Any attack made by the Rebels against this station would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've obtained. This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it!

VADER: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Again, it occurs to me that there is no mention of a Good Side or a Dark Side of the Force within A New Hope. Another, interesting aspect to the whole Lucas-knew-everything-from-the-beginning.

I'd have Natalie Portman in every scene

The End
Young fool, only now, at the end
do you finally understand
Quote:I'd have Natalie Portman in every scene

No you wouldn't. If that happened you would end up disowning yourself as a Star Wars fan.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  starwars vs final fantasy obi-gum-kenobi 6 902 February 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  what would you like to change in STAR WARS movies frkman 8 862 February 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Last Post: frkman
  new starwars films obi-gum-kenobi 3 743 February 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Han Solo
  does anyone know any thing about starwars galaxies sithduded 6 974 January 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Edpayasugo
  StarWars Websites Maverick1989 5 773 July 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Han Solo
  Cinescape article regarding deleted scene from A New Hope Han Solo 1 645 June 1st, 2006, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Elmo
  starwars mykidluvstarwars 4 596 December 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mykidluvstarwars
  episode 2 was the worst starwars movie qui-gon-dom 10 908 August 31st, 2005, 11:52 PM
Last Post: labonte18
  Anakins Lightsaber Change. Edpayasugo 9 1,208 August 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Ncoded
  The Other Starwars Movies ?? matteh 9 800 May 31st, 2005, 07:00 PM
Last Post: patomon5