Did she or didn't she
It was recently preposed to me that Andre Norton had written the 'famous' poem that starts

"Star light, star bright"

With my aging memory, I don't recall any of the Lady's poems starting exactly that way.

Can anyone help?

PS: My guess is that the 'famous' poem was intended to be...
"Star light, star bright
First start I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have this wish, I wish tonight."
Irene
http://www.andre-norton.org/poems/16.shtml

"Star light, star bright,
Five star I've seen tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight."

Andre Norton, "Outside"

"Outside" is a short story published in 1974.

The original poem is attributed as an 19th century nursery rhyme, and no author credited.

"Star Light Star bright,
The first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight."
Act my age? I'm too young to be THAT old!
I followed your link and at the bottom of the page, it says this is copyright AN. If it is attributed as a 19th century nursery rhyme, how can anyone copyright it? Shouldn't it be in the public domain?

Perhaps it is an artifact of the 'shtml' extension?

Paul.
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
Paul B. Wrote:I followed your link and at the bottom of the page, it says this is copyright AN. If it is attributed as a 19th century nursery rhyme, how can anyone copyright it? Shouldn't it be in the public domain?

Perhaps it is an artifact of the 'shtml' extension?

Paul.

Paul,

I suspect that copyright notice is just boilerplate included automatically by the Web site, although I think if Ms. Norton modified the original poem (I noticed the second line of the verse says "five star I see tonight") she could copyright it. In any case, she'd certainly hold the copyright to the story that included it.

Dave
Dave,

Yes, that's what I meant when I said an artifact. That's what shtml does. The page says the poem presented on that page is copyright. I hope it isn't legal to change one word of an artistic work, poem, novel, essay, what have you, and copyright it yourself, because that would open up everything. Can you imagine if I change one word of Andre's Catseye and call it my own? Or Asimov's Foundation?

I shudder to think of the consequences.
P.
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
Paul B. Wrote:Dave,

Yes, that's what I meant when I said an artifact. That's what shtml does. The page says the poem presented on that page is copyright. I hope it isn't legal to change one word of an artistic work, poem, novel, essay, what have you, and copyright it yourself, because that would open up everything. Can you imagine if I change one word of Andre's Catseye and call it my own? Or Asimov's Foundation?

I shudder to think of the consequences.
P.

Paul,

Guess I need to learn what shtml means. I thought regular HTML could do that too.

Maybe I reached too far on copyrighting the modified work. But if one makes a spoof of an existing work, can it not be copyrighted? Is it a matter of extent? One word out of Foundation is trivial; one word out of 24 in the star light poem is a more significant fraction.

Dave

MYCode Guide