Xena Movie?
OK...If this is old news don't freak on me. I haven't been on the net much at all this past year and a half, but is a Xena movie still in the talks? Would it star Lucy and Renee?
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Check out these threads:

post-2006 convention appeal to write Andrew Rona

banner to use to lobby Universal for a movie

Lucy's desire for a reunion

Rob's status update at the 2005 convention

2003 poll on what you want in a movie

mid-2004 retread of the news from the early 2004 convention

discussion on subtext vs. maintext, vaguely in reference to a movie

Fall 2003 discussion of what Katherine Fugate said at her site, and at the 2003 convention

post 2003 convention and Katherine Fugate's mention of a movie

similar to above

ditto

Katherines' original message at her site in 2003, post-convention

more of the above

poll from around that same time

another one[/COLOR]
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
hahaha thanks. sorry about that.

++Admin note++

Your post has been edited ...please do not use chat speak on any of our forums...its is hard for many of our users to understand.

Thank you
Stripe
I figured I'd add this here, since it has links to many of the other Xena movie threads. Katherine Fugate answered this question again at her site recently. Basically, it's the same story as has been reported for almost 4 years now...

Quote:the xena movie keeps living and dying monthly. rob has not given up on it. but we are all having a hard time convincing studios there is a market for it... which i know for fans of the show is hard to believe at times. but they view the fanbase as small, the series fading away in memory and the investment thus a risky venture...

i have written the outline/treatment, not the actual script with dialogue, which is an entirely different thing. i doubt it would ever be released to the public officially... these kind of things just never are.

i still hold hope though, mainly because rob's interest is so dreamlike big in making it happen.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I can kind of see why they're reluctant. The show ended five years ago and its popularity was flagging by the end. Plus Serenity, while it made up for it in DVD sales, flopped somewhat at the box office and it probably seemed a safer bet than a Xena movie.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]The latest, from Rob at the 2007 convention, as described in this blog:

Basically, it's still up in the air. Rob says that the NBC-Universal people question if there would be much interest in it now as a continuation of the series, although they do say it could be remade (like BSG, Batman, Superman, Addams Family) with a new cast in ten years or so. But at the same time, he said that "there is interest, but (I) can't make any promises.... (but) if I was a betting man, I'd say something's going to happen."

And he also referred obliquely to how there were many different possibilities, beyond simply bringing Xena back to life and picking up where they left off. For example, he said that he'd love to find a way to use Callisto and Joxer.

(The obvious interpretation of that is that one possibility would be to do a stand-alone Xena movie, possibly a variation on the original Callisto story, which has been a fan-created rumor for years.)

So basically, for the 5th year in a row, there's the possibility of a movie, and they'll let us know if anything develops. :laugh:[/COLOR]
Personally I wouldn't like an alternate story, but if they want to avoid continuing the series, they could set it before the end (although we'd have to suspend our disbelief as all the actors are a bit older now).
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Just in case there's any question (which realistically, there never should have been) about Lucy's interest in a movie, here's a quote from a recent interview in something called Bend Weekly, which also goes into details about things that Lucy has turned down (byt may not have bothered to tell people about at the time:

Quote:After six profitable years working her butt off in a leather microskirt
and a strangling-tight bustier - come sun, rain, sleet and hail - in the
title role of the fantasy action series "Xena: Warrior Princess"
(1995-2001), Lucy Lawless became understandably selective about her
projects. This is why she turned down a leading role in "Battlestar
Galactica" and the pilot for "Lost in Space" some three years ago.

"I wasn't ready to go back into something spacey and culty," said
Lawless. "They came to see me about 'Medium,' too - which I knew would
be successful, but I didn't want to work that hard. It was like I had
been tortured by success."

She recently signed to play a lead role in the ABC network pilot of
an Americanized version of the sexy British series "Footballers' Wives"
and a "Xena" movie (based on the international hit series co-created by
her husband, Rob Tapert) is suddenly feasible again. "If it happens, my
hair will go dark again in seconds."
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]The latest, summarized from about a dozen accounts of Rob and Lucy's appearance at the convention in NJ this past weekend:

Rob clarified that at one point a few years back he was talking seriously with Universal (or one of its sub-entities) about a movie, but they backed down because they really felt there just wasn't much of a market for it. And then about a year ago, they raised the idea of a direct-todvd version, although with a decent budget, but as recently as a month ago, they were lukewarm-ish, as they really couldn't forecast what sort of profit they might make. And no one currently working there is even familiar with the show, which is its own obstacle.

He apparently still is "in talks" and is hopeful that if they are apathetic, they might just be persuaded to give the rights directly to him (which would tie in with his previously-expressed idea of outside investors.)

He did apparently say that there's no need for anyone to send Andrew Rona any more petitions or letters, since he's not directly involved with this anymore, although he does indeed now believe that the "fan base" wants a movie, but that's not enough people to warrant making one. Rona he says has never actually seen the show BTW.
[/COLOR]
And from Sharon Delaney, on Lucy's official mailing list:

Quote:Rob has been/continues to try and make a Xena movie happen. Lucy and Renee have both said they would be in it if it happens. The studio
doesn't feel it would be profitable. They own the rights. It's a standoff.

Which would pretty much sum it up. :bg:
From Sci-Fi Wire:

Quote:Rob Tapert..... told SCI FI Wire that pretty much everyone involved in the old show would love to see Xena (Lucy Lawless) pick up her chakram once again for a TV movie or some other kind of reunion project.

Tapert said he even had an idea in mind, but that matters are entirely out of his hands.

"That's a Universal question," Tapert said in an interview, adding: "Meaning [NBC] Universal ... Television [Group]. I don't control the strings."

"We said long ago that we'd love to do something," Tapert said. "We have a fun, 300-style idea for it. ... I can't answer [why nothing's happening]...."
Similar comments from Rob in an interview at Comic Mix:

Quote:I'd love to go back to Xena. There were untold stories in that and now with technology and what I know, I'd love to approach that in a 300 meets Wanted style and I would certainly know what to do if I got that opportunity. I don't think that Seeker really lends itself to stylistically being bent to fit that shape, but I could easily revisit the style and story of something like Xena, and would love to.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the words to the Xena burial song? xenagabby888 26 31,793 February 13th, 2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Tabbyhamm1979
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 543 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Michael
Big Grin Happy 25th Anniversary Xena ! august 4 1,216 November 12th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Xena faces off against Callisto...behind the bar! august 9 1,654 November 20th, 2018, 08:35 PM
  Xena stars on the shows 20th anniversary Boomstick 1 849 September 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Last Post: august
  22 years of Xena Warrior Princess :O august 6 1,101 September 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM
  NBC-Universal is serious about a Xena reboot ... or are they? august 34 3,253 August 22nd, 2017, 07:51 PM
  Victoria Pratt's new movie Turbulence on Lifetime Move Network @ 8 PM tonight (Fr. 12/30) august 1 2,039 December 31st, 2016, 02:12 PM
  Little Xena + Gabby on Halloween! august 3 2,320 October 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
  Xena opening credits - Lego style! august 4 938 October 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM