Was it a mistake to replace old Anakin with the young?
At the end of VI (jedI) one can see the ghosts of Obi One, yoda and Anakin. Now prior to the DVd release Anakin was the same actor who played Vader when Luke took his helmet off in that scene. Now he has been replaced by a creepy looking Christianson (sorry forget his name) What does everyone feel about this? given that Obi One and yoda are old and shagged and he is still young. I know technicaly when Anakin died and become Vader he was a young man, but it does not wash with me. Opinions?
The dark side is best, you get to go to bed late and stuff
I didn`t like the change either, for lots of reasons.

It wasn`t fair to Sebastian Shaw. Why didn`t they swap Alec Guinness for Ewan McGregor? If there`s some sort of convoluted reason about Anakin ceasing to be a Jedi and "dying" as Anakin, and when Luke turned him back he reverted back to how he looked before becoming Vader. . . It doesn`t wash with me either. Seems like a stretch and searching for a reason to change when I wonder if the real reason is that Lucas felt Christensen was more popular or well known or whatever than Shaw.

And why shouldn`t he be "old" as a ghost? He was old when he turned back to the good side. His age and experiences are a part of him and are part of how he got to the point of being able to be redeemed by Luke. So what`s wrong with looking his age? "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Seems like Luke`s acknowledging Anakin`s status as a JEDI there.
Hope, D`Argo.... I have HOPE. John

Too many stories are nothing more than connected vignettes of codified symbols used to tell the audience where the plot currently stands like some sort of checklist Mirage
I totally agree, and further more, how would Luke even know it was his dad? all he would have seen was a young JEDI, you could hardly spot the resembelance there to the older deformed man he had just saved.
If you ask me, Lucas should be more self-confident, rather than constantly tweaking things. I agree full well that there should be no changing of actors for Anakin. Why are we showing Ani when he was in the Dark side? Show him at peace and in the Light side, if you ask me.
Qyma-
Qymoi-
Qyemjai-
Qum-
K-
General Grievous is a whole lot easier to say.
no kidding. i think that lucas should stop tweaking with the ot. it is good, so leave it be. I also do NOT like how he put in christianson. it ruins the whole point (as was mentioned above). if he's going to do that, he should replace yoda and obi-wan. then, he would have to replace obi-wan in all of the ot! it just doesn't make sense.
I shall rule the galaxy.
i agree, there was no reason to do it other than the fact he could and maybe wanted to appease the newer NT fans.
Only Opinion

The only way I see it is that the Jedi appear aesthetically according to Luke's perception when in Luke's presence. Remember that Obi was able to speak to Luke without "ghost" appearing right after Obi is dispatched by Vader. The "Run, Luke, Run!" scene in the Death Star hangar (as opposed to "Run! Forrest, Run":jester: ), then during the trench in the death star " Use the force Luke. Let go." It would be pretty distracting to appear floating outside the window while Luke is trying to concentrate on the targeting computer, fly the x-wing without hitting the trench wall, and evading fire from Vader's tie-fighter.
Now, the reason Vader would appear as the Christensen(sp?) image is that Luke wants to see him as the knight he originally was, the Jedi knight before turning to the darkside. Thus the force allows that vision to appear to Luke. Luke sees Obi as his mentor same with Yoda, so he sees them as he knew them. Now you may ask, what about the scene when Obi and Yoda discuss " There is another". Luke is not there and they are the older versions. Well, Yoda and Obi see each other as they themselves wish to be seen. They are jedi, they do not seek or need to look young, vanity is not the Jedi way.

Do I think that the whole removal of Mr.Shaw is a sham, Yes, but at least I'm able to sleep at night. Confusedleep:
Cool "It's a trick, get an axe." Ash-Army of Darkness (1993)
His name is Christensen, not Christiansen...
It blows to change the movie that we all grew up to, but what can you do.
"All to easy!" <-- Darth Vader EP V :angry:
I personally enjoy looking at the young, hott Anikan more but whatev.
:lips: "There's more to life than just to live!" -JB
We should all just do what we want and go with our impulses, if things don't work out, we forget about them and move on... it's living in the moment because we'll be dying in the next.
I think they used the young anakin because in all of the movies, we saw the old anaking/vader only once, while we got familiar with Christensen. I think it's mostly because it looked better. You don't have to find rules to explain it. It's fantasy. +G. Lucas.
the nighthunter is ruling this planet
do not oppose him, or suffer the
consequences.
[QUOTE]I think they used the young anakin because in all of the movies, we saw the old anaking/vader only once, while we got familiar with Christensen. I think it's mostly because it looked better. You don't have to find rules to explain it. It's fantasy. +G. Lucas.

totally right. but I think it's also because the young one is more attractive( duh)

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anakin as Qui-Gon's padawan Han Solo 6 1,402 June 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Han Solo
  Anakin: Friend or foe? Galafre 3 911 January 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Saber
  Anakin Clone Dedpool 12 1,022 April 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Why Did Obi-1 Let Anakin Live? Darth Meela 40 5,114 April 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Saber
  Who is Anakin's father? Alvin Eriol 79 9,258 February 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Anakin's Motives... (spoilers) Gwaihir the Windlord 25 2,817 February 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Gundar Jin
  Why do you think Anakin Turned to the Dark side? (Possible spoiler) Eternally86 27 2,209 December 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Darth Bore
  Anakin clone sith lord 11 959 November 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Pechark
  What happened to Anakin´s ship? Ladyjedi 2 632 November 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Han Solo
  What is Anakin doing in the Cantina? EpII Ladyjedi 6 853 September 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Last Post: patomon5