Brokeback Mountain
RobRoy Wrote:I'm with you, but in a slightly different way. I didn't know the main characters were married. Ultimately, this movie just doesn't interest me. It looks slow paced and with far too few explosions. But seriously, I'm just flat on this movie. I grasp what the big deal is to some people, but for me . . . I'm probably not going to see it.

I'm with Eiley also, but again in a slightly different way. Enis's wife knew about the affair and did nothing about it, when she should have stopped it before it even started. That the affair was allowed to begin and to continue was completely on her, imnsho. I don't blame her for being shocked (who wouldn't be?) but she needed to keep her man at home.

And it is very slow paced, RR, which I didn't mind too much since I'm not really into the explosions. Wink The only thing that really bothered me was leaving the theater and remembering that Matthew Shepard was also from Wyoming, so not a lot has really changed in the last 40 years.
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
Jack Twist's character is brutally killed at the end of the movie. He's killed in Texas, but the affair itself takes place in Wyoming.

Alantriel the Elf Wrote:honestly sometimes movies are aimed at certain groups. Sometimes they aren't. Honestly sometimes you can't tell. Sometimes it could bejust there for enjoyment.

Not just sometimes, but always. *All* movies are aimed at certain groups, depending on the type of movie it is. That's called marketing. Which is why I have to wonder why some people are getting all hot and bothered that this movie is being promoted in the exact same way as every other movie out there. The way I see it, they're not opposed to the way it's being marketed, but to the subject matter of the movie itself, but instead of coming out and admitting that they're anti-gay, they are trying to hide behind the worn out "political agenda" debate, which is tiresome at best. And that's not just on this board, but in RL as well. I've learned it's pointless to argue with them about it.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Whether it has an "agenda" or not doesnt matter. Its a good movie. Not quite as amazing as alot of people are making it out to be, but still quite good. It is slow, but some people enjoy watching a slow moving love story. That's really what it is. A well acted, slow moving, love story..........end of story.
joe-sixpack Wrote:My humble role in this thread was to shine light on the fact the movie has an agenda, a fact which has now been admitted.

It is interesting to note that attempts were then made to shift the debate to whether that agenda is, aw shucks, such an all-fired bad thing after all. But shifting the debate to a new point once you have lost the first point is a tried-and-true tactic, as tried-and-true as the tactic of trying to question the personal motives of the messenger, as if that somehow diminishes the truthfulness of what she says, which was also tried.

In pursuing my humble role, I also succeeded in scraping off the thin veneer of self-righteous "anti-discrimination" worn by those who defend the movie. In scraping off that veneer, one gets a view of the ugliness underneath.

And that is demonstrated most effectively by Eiley.

Someone please explain why, in an earlier post on this thread that would go on to mildly, hat in hand, criticize the movie, Eiley felt the need to "preface it by saying...I am not homophobic...".Fact is, there is a very real sense that saying anything about this movie that may remotely be perceived as negative will cause names and accusations to be thrown in your general direction. Homophobic! Gay bashing! This very real sense is founded in reality (evidence: just read this thread and note from which side of the debate the attacks came).

But thanks to robroy, who gave me my first bellylaugh of the day. After saying "For myself, no, I disagree that the point of the movie, either contained within the film or as part of any 'larger agenda' is anything other than general acceptance and to 'stop the bashing'", later says, "I'm probably not going to see it."

Knows what is

Has. Not. Seen. It.

Join the club. I ain't neither. Why are we debating it?

:chinese:
I also prefaced my post by saying I hadn't seen the movie and I hadn't read every post prior to mine. All of that was done in case I said something that was blatantly out of place because I missed something by not viewing it or not reading the posts. I prefaced it by saying I was not homophobic because I know how people read into things. During a regular discussion face to face people would be able to hear my tone of voice and read my facial expressions. Face to face I would have a discussion with someone where anyone involved could express their opinions in real time. Since I don't visit here often, I thought I'd put that in to try to stop any posts related to mine potentially asking about that. It was used as a method to avoid other lengthy posts that would not add to the topic but would completely change it to a discussion that's been had here and probably on other boards over and over again.
Bootstrap's Bootstraps.
So did we determine if any credible sources connected to the movie said in some verifiable medium that they had some agenda?
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:So did we determine if any credible sources connected to the movie said in some verifiable medium that they had some agenda?

No. Just supposition and opinion with little to no support.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I need a clarification. What, exactly, is an "agenda" in this case? Does it just mean that a work of art has a point of view that it is trying to get across? Isn't that normal? I mean, clearly a film like The Passion of the Christ has an "agenda" it is trying to promote, and there is nothing wrong with that. Why shouldn't a serious drama which deals serious issues have an "agenda"?
Reality is a crutch for people who can't face up to science fiction.
VickiSilverwolf Wrote:I need a clarification. What, exactly, is an "agenda" in this case? Does it just mean that a work of art has a point of view that it is trying to get across? Isn't that normal? I mean, clearly a film like The Passion of the Christ has an "agenda" it is trying to promote, and there is nothing wrong with that. Why shouldn't a serious drama which deals serious issues have an "agenda"?

Again, that was the problem with the "discussion". If you flip through, you'll see that those promoting the concept of an agenda movie, would never pin down what they meant. Those of us defending (for want of a better term) the movie, could only believe that the agenda was one of promoting homosexuality or making homosexuality more palatable to mainstream culture. <shrug>

I believe Mike made similar sentiments to yours that any movie with any depth at all has an "agenda" of some kind. Usually, we just term it as a message, theme, etc. Agenda seems to be being used, in this case, as a negative, though to what end, we were never advised. But yes, and movie with any attempt at depth has an "agenda" per se; it is trying to relate a specific message to a specific group.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Yep, but often that agenda is something so broad that hardly anyone would take issue with it. i.e. good triumphs over evil, drugs are bad, true love will always prevail, etc. So for example, Scarlett O'Hara was happier when she was spoiled and had slaves waiting on her hand and foot... but I don't think GWTW had an agenda to bring back slavery, for example. Wink Or something like Romeo and Juliet - another tragic story of star-crossed lovers.... but not sure that it had an agenda of stopping blood feuds in Renaissance-era Italy, or the emancipation of 13-year-olds to marry as they please - the agenda was just to depict young love, and make the audience cry.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I think that agenda implies an active purpose, unlike theme, which is the main topic.

So a theme might be that apples are sweet, and the agenda could be to promote the consumption of apples.

No?
Yeah, I'd lean more towards something like that. For example, one could have an agenda to promote policies benefitting native Americans when one films a cowboys and Indians movie..... or one could just want to make a shoot-em-up western.
I saw the film last night and really loved it. I was a bit thrown aback by the ending and am left with what seems a perpetual feeling of sadness. It definitely offers food for thought and I plan to get Annie Proulx's collection of short stories, as well as the soundtrack which I thought was delightful and poignant. Recommended!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
That sounds pretty typical for Ang Lee.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Actually I have seen it today, and I think it's a very beautifull/ emotional movie. I really enjoyed it! Smile
RobRoy Wrote:They were simply more willing to stay at home and get the same quality of movie without the cost of a theater ticket and some kid kicking the back of your chair throughout the film.

I am afraid that I fall into this category. Not only do you have to tolerate the chair kicking, but your shoes stick to the floor and the guy in front is on his mobile phone. More often than not I get the conveyor belt audience. You know... the ones who are up and down for anything and everything.

I must be getting old. There are a number of films I want to see this year. My instincts tell me to wait for the DVD.

As for critics.....their tastes are not always the same as mine. I would rather see for myself.

As for Brokeback Mountain. I have not seen it. If it comes my way on DVD I will probably watch it.

With love.
Lorne.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  K2 the most dangerous mountain? Should they make a movie about this accident? badlands 3 411 January 8th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Last Post: august
  race to witch mountain badlands 3 634 November 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Cold Mountain weirdo 10 897 February 2nd, 2004, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Comma