Classic 50s Sci Fi
The Fifties were the decade for great science fiction movies, from The Day the Earth Stood Still in 1951, to It Came From Outer Space in 1953, to When Worlds Collide and This Island Earth.

And of course there's the great Creature From the Black Lagoon trilogy.

So, anybody up for a discussion of these classic movies?

Has anyone here even seen black-and-white movie????
Caroline
The Thunder Child Science Fiction Journal
http://thethunderchild.com/
Daily Space
http://dailyspace.blogspot.com/
Oh, heck, yeah. I wasted a lot of my youth in front of the TV set watching old horror and science fiction movies. I've seen a lot of really bad ones, as well as some of the gems you mention. (One that deserves mention is Forbidden Planet, which is ahead of its time.) There are some obscure ones of interest, like the ultra-low budget Creation of the Humanoids, which actually had some serious issues to discuss as to what a human being really is. (Although that one is actually from 1962.)

There are a lot of SF movies from the 1950's that are fun, if not great art. I like Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and 20 Million Miles to Earth for the very cool stop-motion effects of Ray Harryhausen.
Reality is a crutch for people who can't face up to science fiction.
Giant ants, giant spiders, giant scorpians, giant rocks, giant eyes,giant women, giant men, shrinking men, killer shrews, killer leeches, killer robots, killer mantises. THINGS in all shapes and sizes....It was a great time.

Rh
My favourite show is Macabre Theater, unfortunately they're not making it anymore.

I was watching an old Vincent Price movie a while back, called The Last Man on Earth. I guess it was remade as The Omega Man with Charleton Heston.

I love old b&w movies. I often find them to be timeless and better than much of what I see currently. Even Plan 9 From Outer Space isn't as bad as they say! Smile
You are correct; both The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man are based on the novel I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

I prefer The Last Man on Earth, and I suspect it was one of the films that had an influence on Night of the Living Dead.
Reality is a crutch for people who can't face up to science fiction.
Boomstick Wrote:I love old b&w movies. I often find them to be timeless and better than much of what I see currently. Even Plan 9 From Outer Space isn't as bad as they say! Smile

Yes, yes it is! Smile

Rh
There was a nice discussion on The Day the Earth Stood Still here if anyone is interested.

It's perhaps one of the best and most poignant of classic SciFi for all time.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Rhadamanthus Wrote:Yes, yes it is! Smile

Rh

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. When I saw Plan 9 I remember thinking Oh yeah- bad movie.
Oh, I don't deny it's bad, but I was a little underwhelmed. I mean I see plenty of current B-grade Sci-Fi that I'd say is worse.

Maybe that's unfair because Plan 9 is a cult classic in it's own right, but hey.
Arcadia Wrote:LOL! I was thinking the same thing. When I saw Plan 9 I remember thinking Oh yeah- bad movie.
Cool C'mon guys and girls :laugh: One of the best things about ANY Ed Wood movie is how bad it really is!!
Each and every one is a classic in the 'oh no I cant watch but I cant look away genre.
Bad lines, worse sets, bad acting, bad lighting but hey his movies were done on shoe string budgets, under time and the man felt such passion about what he created.
And I believe he looked great in a pink angora sweater. :twitch
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

>***********************<

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

>***********************<
No question but that there is a strange charm in an Ed Wood, jr. movie. And he certainly must have been an inspiration for many other independent film makers...Roger Corman, for one.

Rh
There was some good classic sf made back in the fifties. There was also a lot of very very bad sf that I can only watch accompanied by Joel, Mike and the 'Bots from MST3K.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:There was some good classic sf made back in the fifties. There was also a lot of very very bad sf that I can only watch accompanied by Joel, Mike and the 'Bots from MST3K.

Manos: The Hands of Fate certainly fits this bill. I can invision paying to see an Ed Wood film, but I can't for the life of me see the same for this without MST3K along for the ride.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
What exactly is 'MST3K'?
Rhadamanthus Wrote:What exactly is 'MST3K'?

Myster Science Theater 3000 is a television show that takes bad movies and then mocks them during the screening. You don't get to see the whole film, but you see enough of it, while the three audience members, Joel or Mike (the humans), and two robots Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot heckle the screen. If you haven't seen any of these, you should rent one and enjoy. It's just like watching a bad movie in your home, and heckling the screen.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reboot of this old classic B movie The Last dinosaur badlands 1 174 March 28th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Which classic novels do you think need a modern film version? badlands 5 436 December 27th, 2016, 04:46 PM
  Video: Ray Milland's classic "Panic in the Year Zero" from 1962 FilmGuy 0 306 July 19th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Bronson + Mifune in Red Sun, classic spaghetti western (or maybe "paella western?") august 9 1,526 September 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
  Classic Chapelle DVD LiLeah04 2 431 June 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Sciguy
  Which Classic Movie Monster Are You? VickiSilverwolf 26 1,294 February 23rd, 2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Lady of Rohan
  Dubbing Classic films? Galvorn 5 461 January 13th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pherthon
  star trek classic TVseries 0 30 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: