Trivia question
In the thread "Zero Stone,...etc" I posed a trivia question. It is a tough one. I stumbled across the info while searching for the long lost poem "Freedom"
What was the first Science Fiction story submitted for publication by Andre Norton. When was it submited and when was it finally published (in revised form)and under what title? Any Takers?
I think I mailed Irene and a couple of others the relevant photocopies of old newspaper articles. Later Kind Folks--Paul :bg: :wicked: :devil:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
I thought Star Man's Son, aka Daybreak 2250 AD was the first. But that's just my recollection.
Act my age? I'm too young to be THAT old!
Hi Paul, I think that the first Science Fiction Story submitted for publication was "People of the Crater", it was suposed to be published in the Fall 1935 issue of Marvel Tales Vol. 1. No. 6. Edited by William L. Crawford, and Published by Fantasy Publications, Everett, PA. However the magazine folded with the publication of Vol. 1 No. 5 Summer, 1935. The story was listed in that issue as forthcoming. It was finally published in 1947 in Fantasy Book 1, No. 1 pp.4-18.
No Joe, you are correct about the publishing history of People of the Crater. However, that is not the one I have in mind.
Here is a big hint:This story was first submitted in the 30's. Revised and published in the 60's. Have Fun--Later Kind Folks--Paul Rolleyes
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
The only story that I can think of would be Garan of Yu-Lac,later re-titled Garan the Eternal, but I don't know if that is the one you mean, and if there was an original title. Joe
That was indeed an early story. The one I am talking about(I misremember where I put the Clippings--They are safely stored in one of several places) was submitted to a publisher around 1934- 1938, I think but was rejected. The Lady kept the story and later revised and updated it and it was published in the sixties. The old and new titles share one word in common. Happy Hunting! Later Kind Folks--Paul :jester:
Thanks for playing, Pat and Joe. In researching the Cleveland press for Andre's long lost poem "Freedom" , I came across several articles about the Lady archived in CSU. In one of them, not long after her first or second book was published, She mentioned having sent in a story called TIME SNAPS about the war between Atlantis and Mu. This story remained unpublished until 1967 when She updated it and sold it as OPERATION TIME SEARCH. Later Kind Folks-Paul
and that bit of trivia, vaguely refreshes my poor memory of Andre mentioning an early writing of, rejection of and final publication of Operation Time Search. I had forgotten she had any rejections, as when she submitted The Prince Commands to Appleton Century, it was because it was the first publisher on her alphabetical list of whom to send the manuscript. I thought it was clear rejection free sailing from the start but i had forgotten about this incident
Agressive Pursuer of Andre Norton material and addicted Karaoke singer!
Hello Ed and welcome back. While Andre had a great many sucessful attempts at publication, She also had some projects that were not so well received. There were two sequels planned to the Prince Commands, a fourth Swords book(The Sword Goes South) set in South America, the fifth "senses"book, and a sequel to Quag Keep, to mention a few. Some of these were only at the outline stage, while some had several pages or even several chapters written. There was one project that She said that She had five chapters written when She Realized that She had started it wrong and had to start over from scratch. Still, She managed to get published a Remarkable body of work in spite of any setbacks. Later Kind folks--Paul

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Preference Question Lots-A-Watts 5 1,465 August 16th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Forerunners question Taliesin 22 2,068 June 3rd, 2019, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Michael
  A question of value Paul Goode 1 606 January 22nd, 2018, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Irene
  A question from the peanut gallery. Lots-A-Watts 3 760 November 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM
  A Monster's Lagacy question. Lots-A-Watts 8 1,111 October 23rd, 2017, 02:33 PM
  Forum question Taliesin 7 1,050 June 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM
  Trivia time Paul Goode 11 1,066 March 24th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  A bit of Murders for Sale Trivia questions Paul Goode 4 869 December 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  Book editions question Taliesin 6 951 November 30th, 2015, 09:13 AM
  Quick trivia Paul Goode 11 938 April 3rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Last Post: jmelsna