Serenity ***SPOILERS*** Irritations
mary Pribble Wrote:ANd you are correct, "love" the wrong person, and you can be in a whole lot of trouble!! Especially if "they" are insisting on going in the wrong direction!! Which is why "I love you, but not this", is a dangerous argument in ANY relationship. Don't say it if you don't mean it, and be prepared for "Okay, "this" is more important, so I guess YOU need to make a decision".

"Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Trash" with the character of Saffron is a perfect example. She had men in love with her who did bad things, and they generally ended in a bad way.

Quote:You are not a "romantic"- or a "realist"- no offense, but love DOES change people for the better.

Interesting. I didn't realize that you and I had conversed enough for you to make this kind of character assessment of me.

Quote:Love makes you WANt to do and be your best, that is USUALLY a positive change, (unless you are a REALLY OUTSTANDING evil person-than I'm not sure what it does!! I guess you "turn into" a just average good person!!

If you're with the right person.

Otherwise, as I showed above, the wrong person (Saffron) might leave you in the lurch. Love can also make you do stupid things. Things you wouldn't normally consider doing, things that might lead you down a rather bad, bad road.

Love is no guarentee to moral integrity, honor or a life time of riches.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Not to butt in, but we're starting to get a bit off topic. Smile

Just my two cents worth: Even if River does "need" a boyfriend, she is nowhere near mentally stable enough to have one. And I do not agree that River does need a boyfriend, especially if it's an attempt to make her complete as a person. The only person who is capable of doing that is River herself. Sure, a caring, loving hand can help her to do that, but as was already mentioned above, she has her brother, Mal, Kaylee, Inara and Zoe. River's peers most likely would not be able to understand her, so they will either be afraid of her, or taunt her - hardly what she needs.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Ah but the book does have alot to do with it. Serenity by Keith R.A. DeCandido is an officially authorized companion to the movie. It explains much that were only hinted of in the series or film. The reasons why inara left is explained. River's early life is better explained as well as Wash and Zooey's marraige. The battle of Serenity valley is explained in some detail. normally I do not buy companion books such as the star trek series, the Buffy or Charmed or such but I am glad I made an exception this time.
P.S. no the book doesn't explain more about Shepard Book.
I think Book will have a lot to come...
I AM CANADIAN

Trekkie, Hoopy Frood, Lost Fan, Browncoat, Impossibly huge yellow something, SUGAR FREE

:music: Listening to HEDLEY http://www.hedleyonline.com :music:
masterblaster Wrote:Ah but the book does have alot to do with it.
It doesn't have much to do with with Inara being compared to, alternately, a prostitute or a geisha. It also doesn't have much to do with River needing a boyfriend. So, once again, I fail to see what "the book" has to do with these two points.

GamgeeFest Wrote:Not to butt in, but we're starting to get a bit off topic. Smile

Just my two cents worth: Even if River does "need" a boyfriend, she is nowhere near mentally stable enough to have one. And I do not agree that River does need a boyfriend, especially if it's an attempt to make her complete as a person.

I couldn't agree more.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
about river still being crazy. Is she? How much of her madness was caused by the knowledge of how the whole planet died, she just flipped out because of the pain. True the government could trigger her into insane action but that was the brain washing only. I know of many liberals who do the same thing when they see a picture of Geaorge bush. (LOL) I think she is as sane now as possible.
About the boyfriend thing. I did not mean that in a sexual manner, although most teenage girls are perfectly willing to rub bellybuttons with their boyfriends. No I meant it as a social thing. With few exceptions, humans are not meant to be alone. Our ancesters lived in complex social structures, our closest relatives, the Bonobo's, live in large social groups; for River to live alone betrays her humanity. Her humanity as a teenaged girl is just as important as anything going on in her head.
Sure, she is mrginally crazy, but she is a teen aged girl, ost are marginally crazy. :party: Smile
masterblaster Wrote:About the boyfriend thing. I did not mean that in a sexual manner, although most teenage girls are perfectly willing to rub bellybuttons with their boyfriends. No I meant it as a social thing. With few exceptions, humans are not meant to be alone.

No one is disagreeing with this point. No one mentioned sex.

I believe we are all disputing the notion that River "needs" a boyfriend. A boyfriend does not equate to happiness, wholeness, personal worth, personal growth or anything else that you have so far suggested. A boyfriend does not make a girl a whole person, it does not make her socially acceptable, it does not even, necessarily, make her happy or even happier.

The whole idea that a woman needs a man is foolish, or vice-versa, is foolish. As I mentioned above, no one has said that Jayne needs a girlfriend to make him a whole or a better person. This is utter nonsense.

People (as Babs told us) need people. Not in question. River needs people. But she also has people.

Just saw the movie again and noticed that this is possibly the first scifi movie I've seen that actually represents space as having no sound. I didn't notice before becuase the visuals were so good, but when they're going through the Reaver field the second time, after leaving Miranda, there is virtually no sound during that whole scene. Jayne fires the cannon, the Reavers target them and start the pursuit - no sound. Lucas, you might want to take notes on this, lol. Wink

~ The Big Bang Theory
GamgeeFest Wrote:Just saw the movie again and noticed that this is possibly the first scifi movie I've seen that actually represents space as having no sound. I didn't notice before becuase the visuals were so good, but when they're going through the Reaver field the second time, after leaving Miranda, there is virtually no sound during that whole scene. Jayne fires the cannon, the Reavers target them and start the pursuit - no sound. Lucas, you might want to take notes on this, lol. Wink

I thought we still heard an explosion when Mal fires on the reaver ship but yeah in the series he did the same thing, no sound in space.
I can imagine quite a bit.
Yes, as I said, virtually no sound. So there was still *some* sound, but not nearly to the point as other scifi movies or shows. Didn't notice it in the TV show either, but wasn't really looking for it.

~ The Big Bang Theory
GamgeeFest Wrote:Yes, as I said, virtually no sound. So there was still *some* sound, but not nearly to the point as other scifi movies or shows. Didn't notice it in the TV show either, but wasn't really looking for it.

"Our Mrs. Reynolds" is the episode I have in mind especially when Jayne fired Vera.
I can imagine quite a bit.
Yeah it was one of the things that I liked about the show. Obviously there were many other things that I liked, but I thought it was cool when I saw it. Definitely adds to the "realism" of course this a show where tons of planets were changed to inhabit humans so realism is a tenitive term.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orson Scott Card talks about "Ender's Game" movie, "Serenity" Michael 14 1,710 January 27th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Last Post: august
  Video: Featurette, Summer Glau preps for "Serenity" fights FilmGuy 0 3,606 February 25th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Inception - Possible Spoilers GamgeeFest 1 601 August 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Toy Story 3 - Mild Spoilers RobRoy 8 1,237 July 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Knowing - A question and MAJOR SPOILERS RobRoy 3 607 June 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
  Clash of the Titans - mild spoilers RobRoy 4 715 April 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Van Helsing (may contain spoilers) Boomstick 66 4,565 April 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM
  AVATAR - James Cameron did it! *may contain spoilers* Luthien_001 23 2,242 January 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
  Video: Review of "Inkheart" (Includes spoilers) Michael 0 484 January 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Indiana Jones (contains spoilers) Jammin 13 1,008 June 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Last Post: katiegirl