Existing "Hobbit" films
Yes, there is an animated Hobbit and Return of the King Done well by Rankin & Bass and a Lord of the Rings done by Ralph Bashki. The animation of Bashki can be a bit un-nerving so, rent it before showing it to the kids. Smile The Rankin & Bass Middle Earth stuff has lots of Glenn Yarbrough music. My favorite is "Frodo of the nine fingers and the ring of DOOM!" :lick:
"That there's Condolini, Condolini wants his hand back!" -The Toe Cutter
Ncoded Wrote:Yes, there is an animated Hobbit and Return of the King Done well by Rankin & Bass

This is debatable. The character of Bilbo in The Hobbit was vastly different from the one in the books. I disliked the Rankin & Bass version of this story.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
It's true that R&B hack and slashed book content way worse than Peter Jackson in order to get shorter animated movies out that were geared more toward kids. Aye, they bastardized bilbo a bit but the main bits of the story are there. When I said they were done well by R&B I was actually comparing the animation to Ralph Bashki's and not really the high level of movie content. These movies are still entertaining to watch but I still recommend reading the books or getting them on unabridged audiobook, I have all 4 on Audiobook and I listen to them in my car. Smile
"That there's Condolini, Condolini wants his hand back!" -The Toe Cutter
Ncoded Wrote:It's true that R&B hack and slashed book content way worse than Peter Jackson in order to get shorter animated movies out that were geared more toward kids. Aye, they bastardized bilbo a bit but the main bits of the story are there.

I don't mind what Rankin & Bass did with the story. They checked all boxes for major events, and hit them all reasonably well.

The characterizations and thus the themes of Tolkien's work were completely lost in the translation. Bilbo is uncharacteristically fearless, and then arrogant toward the dwarves who are mostly served up as all the same character repeated. Thorin & Co. are generally careless, unappreciative and cowardly in almost every situation.

The growth of Bilbo from a small and timid creature, to one of great capacity is completely and utterly lost.

Quote:When I said they were done well by R&B I was actually comparing the animation to Ralph Bashki's and not really the high level of movie content.

Bakshi's version, often panned by critics, is actually quite entertaining. Bakshi stuck to the books closer than almost any other telling of the tales (baring unabridged readings . . . which I generally loathe). He used a style he fairly pioneered called rotoscoping or retroscoping, in which live action film is then animated over. It's certainly not for everyone. But he's been more critically acclaimed then he was booed for some of his other features.

If he'd been able to complete the final chapters, I feel he would have been taken less to task for some of his other choices in the film.

Quote:These movies are still entertaining to watch but I still recommend reading the books or getting them on unabridged audiobook, I have all 4 on Audiobook and I listen to them in my car. Smile

I would not recommend an unabridged version. I much prefer the BBC's radio production of both The Lord of the Rings (13 hours I believe and includes a rather young Sir Ian Holm as Frodo) and The Hobbit (4 hours). They trim them down in parts, but keep the integrity of the characters, and the themes of the books, very solid.

Besides, I prefer a voice actor to a voice reader. They generally have a larger budget and come off far more polished.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Splitting thread for new discussion topics.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do the dwarves look different in the Hobbit than the LOTR? badlands 3 88 August 3rd, 2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: gzhindra
  Hobbit ineffectual and non productive workers? badlands 3 158 July 24th, 2022, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Hobbit Anarchy Michael 18 386 July 24th, 2022, 01:17 AM
  Size of Hobbit characters Jaak 15 1,317 July 1st, 2022, 11:10 PM
  Video: The very first "Hobbit" film adaptation - in full Michael 2 641 April 23rd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Last Post: badlands
  "Here's a pretty hobbit-skin... Mordomin 12 2,333 February 2nd, 2019, 12:09 PM
  "The Hobbit" on stage with pre-show lecture in Illinois Michael 3 725 July 20th, 2018, 12:14 PM
  A Hobbit Play Runs in Montgomery, AL until July 29, 2018 Michael 0 422 July 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM
  Scenes in any of LOTR movies or Hobbit you would like to have seen? badlands 4 900 July 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Bacchus
  interesting (and irreverent) observation on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" august 3 700 June 2nd, 2018, 11:54 AM