The speed of rot
So, just as a hypothetical.

Say you evacuate your home for a hurricane, and your freezer is full of meat and fish. Suppose you can't go back for about two months. Of course the smell is going to be incredible for awhile, but it should finish rotting at some point, especially given that New Orleans is as hot in September as it is in August. If you can't return for two months, would that be enough time, and would I just find some dried-up organic matter? 'Cause I'm not looking forward to this.

I just thought the scientific minds around here would like a challenge and I'd rather ask about rotten food than if anyone knows how bad the rest of it is going to be.

- gilly
I'd consider buying a new fridge and just burying the old one.

Look on the bright side. Maybe somebody looted the contents before they could get stinky.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, that's what I told my husband but he wasn't amused.
He's gotta lighten up.

If you can't laugh at a natural disaster of Biblical proportion, then what can you laugh at?

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
(I think) the only people who can "laugh" at a natural disaster like this one, are the ones who weren't affected by it in some way. I think we all were, but, I have family in Chalmette (St. Bernard Parish) just outside New Orleans. Their house is literally under water....as we speak they are still walking around in a daze. Everything in their truck is now the only thing left they can call theirs. Luckily we have family in TN, NV, FL, OK, they have a choice of where to go to be safe, most people don't.
Now, I wouldn't wish what happened to them (my family and the thousands of people affected by Katrina) on ANYONE, but if it had affected them directly, these people laughing would have a different opinion of this natural disaster they're laughing at. Instead of laughing, why don't you try to help these poor people who are now homeless, or even worse, motherless, fatherless, brotherless, sisterless or the ones who were carrying their babies around not being able to feed them or give them water......I'll bet the material things don't seem so important to them right about now. Just imagine if it was you and we were laughing at you. Wouldn't you want someone to help you?
donchin Wrote:Just imagine if it was you and we were laughing at you. Wouldn't you want someone to help you?

I'm a paramedic. The only people I ever see are at their worst. My full time job is to help them. I've helped drag dead children out of frozen rivers and done CPR on babies born prematurly to heroin addicts and abandonned in toilets.

My choices to stay sane are laughter or alcoholism.

I'm willing to start the heavy drinking if that would make you feel better.

Trust me...I'm not trying to belittle what you do for a living. I sit behind a desk all day, and I wish I could do more to help them. All I was saying was I find it hard to laugh at something like this when I think of how these people were living in the superdome, the kids getting raped, the fights, people getting shot over a bottle of water. You obviously have a much different point of view (and should) because of your experiences and what you do for a living. Who knows, maybe I would feel the same way if I was in the same position as you. Let me just say Thank you for what you do every day, for the people you help. Someday that could be me, and I'm sorry if you were offended by what I said. It just hit me a little too close to home since my family was affected by this.
Um...just to clarify, I live in Orleans Parish and had to evacuate for the hurricane. I may have lost every material possession I own, including my house, my husband's car and the medical practice I've worked three years to build up.

I agree with Mike. Ya gotta laugh.

And still no one's answered my question! I actually had some sweetbreads saved for a special occasion in the freezer. Just goes to show you...never save anything, make every day a special occasion. Heart
Seriously, if the freezer is closed, the rot will liquefy the meat (yummy), and eventually give rise to a host of beacteria, who will pollute their environment until it kills them, but if the liquid goo, rich in nutrients, is still there, which it will be unless gas expansion pops the door open, new bacteria and molds will colonize it.

It's gonna be gross for probably a year, if there is a significant quantity of nice organic matter to spoil.

If it's open to the air, it will rot quickly, then dry out and the bugs will die or move on.

If you get home and it's still closed, I'd wrap it in duct tape and have the whole thing hauled away.

donchin Wrote:Trust me...I'm not trying to belittle what you do for a living. I sit behind a desk all day, and I wish I could do more to help them. All I was saying was I find it hard to laugh at something like this when I think of how these people were living in the superdome, the kids getting raped, the fights, people getting shot over a bottle of water. You obviously have a much different point of view (and should) because of your experiences and what you do for a living. Who knows, maybe I would feel the same way if I was in the same position as you. Let me just say Thank you for what you do every day, for the people you help. Someday that could be me, and I'm sorry if you were offended by what I said. It just hit me a little too close to home since my family was affected by this.

I didn't mean to sound as snarky as I probably did.

It's just that people need to realize that humor is not belittling tragedy, it's a coping mechanism. If you can laugh at something, you have power over it. If you feel devastated, it has power over you. I love my job, because when it gets too much, I can laugh at the situation. If I got overwhelmed, I'd have to do something else, and I'm spoiled for real work.

I think that Americans in this hypersensitive day and age tend to get too quickly offended and we are losing our ability to cope.

Given the state of the world today, our involvement in a war abroad and terror concerns here, as well as increasing natural disasters (we're getting more and worse hurricanes over the last few years) energy source depletion and a bitter political divide, we're gonna need our humor.

I guess it's all in how you cope. In my family, you coped by being sad, not talking much about stuff that was happening. That was all well and good, becuase that's all I knew. Until recently (within the last two years) when my two kids (now 4 & 1) had to have major cranio-facial surgery. My wife and I coped by....you guessed it! Laughing about it. So, the more I thnk about it, you're right. We have to cope with certain situations.....you just have to do it everyday, and my kids have healed and life will go on for them, and us.
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:...if the liquid goo, rich in nutrients, is still there, which it will be unless gas expansion pops the door open, new bacteria and molds will colonize it.

Hey yeah, I never thought of that. Maybe the door will pop open.

Because it's looking more like it will be a couple of months before we're allowed back in. Maybe that'll be enough time for decomposition to complete itself.

If it doesn't, maybe it will indeed be time for a new refrigerator...
No, I'm with Mike- Just make it go away- DONT OPEN IT!!

(I'm in Food Service, So trust me on this one!!)
Now that's what I''m looking for! A real expert! :crown:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Speed Or Dial Up? Nashk 8 699 February 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Resurection