Hermione Never Sees Parents?
Anybody notice that Hermione is barely ever at her own house. the whole year Hogwarts..and then Ron's house? Is this realistic..? When your 14 would your parents let you see them 2 weeks in a year? I doubt it.
Yes, I've always wondered about this too. Hermione seems to have no connection at all with her parents. Where were they when she was attacked in Cos???
That's true, it's quite unrealistic. But Hermione sitting around a Muggle house for a good portion of the book probably wouldn't add much to the excitement.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln
it wouldn't would it? But i still see this as unrealistic.
Well is the entirety of the Harry Potter series very realistic? I don't see a problem with Hermione's home life being unrealistic.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
if you were fourteen would your parents allow you to ditch the only time you get to spend with them to go off with your (future) boyfriend? If so your parents are very easy-going because i know my parents wouldn't let me. I don't know if i'd want to actually..it's the only time she gets with them. she spends time with Ron all year! Her parents barely know her!
I didn't say that I agreed with it, and I definitely didn't say that my parents would have ever agreed with it. I said that I didn't see the problem with JKR having one of her made-up characters having an unrealistic home life.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
isn't hogwarts like a boarding school or somthing? most parents used to send their children to boarding school a few decades ago, and the harry potter books do not take place in in 2005 (obviously) remember in book one hp rw and hg were researching in the library about nicholas a book said he "just turned somthing years old this year" (forgot the year) just take twelve years of the year the book said because harry was going to turn twelve that year, and you get the year harry was born, which is the year it all began, they definiantly had people going to boarding school at that time, i'm pretty sure when you go to boarding school you barely see your parents right?
plus she goes on holiday with her parents but they're dentists, theyd be working alot
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
i still find it unrealistic. I'd like to see more of Hermione's parents!
ginny weasley Wrote:isn't hogwarts like a boarding school or somthing? most parents used to send their children to boarding school a few decades ago, and the harry potter books do not take place in in 2005 (obviously) remember in book one hp rw and hg were researching in the library about nicholas a book said he "just turned somthing years old this year" (forgot the year) just take twelve years of the year the book said because harry was going to turn twelve that year, and you get the year harry was born, which is the year it all began, they definiantly had people going to boarding school at that time, i'm pretty sure when you go to boarding school you barely see your parents right?

Hogwarts is a boarding school but there's still summer. She doesn't even spend summers at her parents..she stays there like 2 weeks. she's always at Ron's before Harry is.
I also find it irritating that Hermione almost never sees her parents. Whether or not it makes the books more interesting, it makes her character seem so much less believeable. I would love to see a bit more of her family.
maybe she does, but maybe she just doesnt see them, maybe even they're like the dursleys
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Kwik silver 44 Wrote:maybe she does, but maybe she just doesnt see them, maybe even they're like the dursleys

they don't really sound like the dursleys they seem very proud of hermione.
hermione is really smart and we know that she got everything from her books. if her parents were like the dursleys i don't think they would by all those magic books for her,
harry did buy his books with his own money, dursleys wouldn't even care.:book: Huh
I think she spends more than two weeks with her parents. I think she only goes to Rons the last couple weeks before school, as Harry does, but you're right, it's very hard for parents to give kids up to boarding school, and afterwards, they usually like to spend more time together. Hermione seems like the kind of person to write very often to them. JK probably didn't want to include that in the books - too bad it'd make her characters more human and emotional. Sometimes writers need to learn that, if it's central to what their characters are thinking, than it's not a distraction. Then again, maybe her parents just aren't so clingy. Maybe they went to boarding school when they were young, and they just accept it as normal. England's full of boarding schools.
true. So the ideas are,

She doesnt see her parents

She spends more than 2 weeks at the Weasleys

But with both she always writes home
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
well, maybe her parents will show up more in the next book
hopefully, but does this really matter, i mean its only a book!
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
There are lots of reasons She might not be "going home"

1) Her parents being "Muggles", may be uncomfortable with the idea of a "witch" in the house, so she spends as little time at home as possible.

2) THey're dentists, yes, but they may not be able to afford to "send her to Hogwarts" and send her home.

3) I'm sure she has had the "heart to heart" about the problems she is encountering being "Muggle Born", they may be "stepping back" to "spare her the potential problems"- a mistake in my opinion!!

4)They are appearing in Book 7, and have a big impact on how Harry & company defeat the Dark Lord & company!! -(you really don't think he's strong enough to "do this alone!! Power of "love"-everyone has to be involved and the Wizarding world may not be able to "hide" much longer!!
[QUOTE=mary Pribble]

4)They are appearing in Book 7, and have a big impact on how Harry & company QUOTE]

Uhh are you saying Hermiones parents are going to have a "big" impact on the next book? :jester:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hermione relationships/ romances with Draco and Lucius Malloy? badlands 1 395 June 5th, 2019, 12:37 AM
Last Post: august
  Happy birthday Hermione Granger Paul Goode 0 531 September 18th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  Happy (belated) Birthday, Hermione Paul Goode 1 566 September 21st, 2011, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Michael
  "The Mirror" has picture of Harry and Hermione Michael 3 605 June 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
  Daily Mail: How fame lost its magic for Hermione (that's despite Emma Watson's Ł30mil Michael 4 668 May 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
  Hermione,Ginny or Cho? Slytherin Slave20 80 2,950 September 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  Hermione's Boggart Kagemaru 6 1,131 June 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Last Post: ben_d_straw
  Hermione...very moody in new movie whomping willow 16 2,010 June 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Last Post: mar_her_90
  Why can't Harry's parents just come back as ghosts? XSecretSmilex 5 665 January 7th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Orangeblossom
  I'm in love with Hermione!! What about you? IronMorgoth 38 1,964 December 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Orangeblossom