Tracking Horcruxes
Do you have any thoughts or ideas of how Dumbledore was locating the horcruxes, i would say scrying, but they never do that in harry potter
Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!
I think that dumbledore just had a hunch that that horcrux was there because he tortured or whatever two children at the orphanage in that cave. So my guess would be that he hid them in places of his past, and Dumbledore was smart enough to relize this, and search out the landmarks of Voldemorts past.
Don't do nothing.
That's a good theory... it seems logical that Voldemort would want to hide the horcruxes in places from his past. But why the cave? Dumbledore seemed pretty certain that one of the horcruxes was there... Surely he must have had another reason for thinking that other than the fact that Voldemort tortured a couple of children there a long time ago.

Dumbledore was much more powerful than most wizards, so perhaps he had a method of detecting an area that is heavily surrounded by dark magic. Underage magic can be detected, so maybe dark magic can too.
I think he locates the items he thinks voldemort has made into horcruxes... scrying? From Eragon i belive, that may have been a good theory
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
what about legilimency? or perhaps that's what snape was finding out for the order?
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
legilmency on who? Voldemort? seems a bit unlikely doesnt it. Who else would have known? Wormtail, doubt it.
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Captiang Wrote:I think that dumbledore just had a hunch that that horcrux was there because he tortured or whatever two children at the orphanage in that cave. So my guess would be that he hid them in places of his past, and Dumbledore was smart enough to relize this, and search out the landmarks of Voldemorts past.

Maybe Dumbledore tracked down the two children and questioned them?
Why not on Voldemort? Dumbledore was certainly as powerful as Voldemort.

Really, I'm thinking more that that may have been Snape's job for the Order, for Dumbledore, to find out about the horcruxes. And he definitely could have used legilimency. We've been told all along that Snape is an exceptional Legilimens/Occlumens, and it's been hinted at least (I can't remember offhand if it actually said it) that Snape has used this against Voldemort.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
Well I would have new respect for snape if he was able to get this information out of voldemorts mind. That would be really cool, and then I would probably forgive him for killing dumbledore, but i guess i now believe he is on the good side. voice of reason.

Yeah I think the whole reason for dd showing harry that stuff was to get harry clues about voldies past life, so now harry can remember things that happened in voldies past life, and hopefully get clues to where the horcruxes now reside.
Don't do nothing.
Hi all,
Im new at this, but was re-reading GOF and picked up one something I had to share -
At the first dinner of the year the sorting hat sings a different song about sorting when the four heads of houses died - "Whilst still alive they did divide their favorites from the throng, yet how to pick the worthy ones when they were dead and gone? Twas Griffindor who found the way he whipped me off his head, the founders put some brains in me so I could choose instead."

Is the sorting hat Griffindors horcrux?

Considering it reads minds this would have been pretty appealing to Voldy i think.
I don't know quite what you mean??? :confused: do you mean that the way that Gryffindor made the hat would appeal to him?
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Since Godric Gryffindor was reportedly a good wizard, I seriously doubt he would have made a horcrux since that is some of the darkest and most evil of magic. It takes murdering someone to be able to make a horcrux.
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
Kwik, youve read Eragon too? I love that book. Used to be my favorite till the sequal came out, lol
is the sequal that bad? im reading it right now, i hope not. eh i also hope im not hijacking this forum so i'll stop and we can all be merry.
Don't do nothing.
I meant that voldemort had tried to use one of each of the heads of houses items (collectables) as horcruxes dumbledore said "Four objects from four founders would, Im sure, have exerted a powerful pull over Voldemorts imagination."

- he had slytherins locket, hufflepuffs cup and wanted something from ravenclaw or griffindor - Dumbledore says (GOF "Horcruxes") that " I am confident however that the only known relic of Griffindor remains safe" meaning the sword - but the sorting hat was originally Griffindors. Surely this would have been more appealing to Voldy than the sword - something that thinks for itself.
you've put the wrong bit in bold then

CJ - GG would'nt have made one if GG really is a powerfully good guy.

King - Eragon is a very good book but shall we discuss that in the relative forum?
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Sounds like a plan kwik, and I didnt mean the squeal was bad when I said what I said earlier. I meant like Eragon was my favorite, then Eldest was better, so now Eldest is my favorite instead of Eragon...
ok, but its too early in the morning dont confuse me
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Quote:I meant that voldemort had tried to use one of each of the heads of houses items (collectables) as horcruxes dumbledore said "Four objects from four founders would, Im sure, have exerted a powerful pull over Voldemorts imagination."

- he had slytherins locket, hufflepuffs cup and wanted something from ravenclaw or griffindor - Dumbledore says (GOF "Horcruxes") that " I am confident however that the only known relic of Griffindor remains safe" meaning the sword - but the sorting hat was originally Griffindors. Surely this would have been more appealing to Voldy than the sword - something that thinks for itself.

It never says the Sorting Hat was from Gryffindor's. The hat belonged to the four founders of Hogwarts, I think.
'I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more, and I know I shouldn't.'
zoe27 Wrote:It never says the Sorting Hat was from Gryffindor's. The hat belonged to the four founders of Hogwarts, I think.

Yes it did belong to Gryffindor. Here are the appropriate words from the 2nd song

While still alive they did divide
Their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?
Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!

The hat belonged to Gryffindor but all 4 founders performed the spells to make it work.
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where are the Horcruxes? Fred Steve 39 2,268 November 19th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  On Horcruxes Kingangus 7 693 April 1st, 2006, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Kingangus
  What are the other Horcruxes? Soldier_of_Gondor 51 2,888 December 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Harry Gondorian
  Horcruxes are NOT people Darth Meela 34 1,549 August 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44