name of arogorns sword
what is the name of arogors sword from rotk isnt it something like anduril or something:question:
arg510 Wrote:what is the name of arogors sword from rotk isnt it something like anduril or something:question:
Yes, that's it. It means "Flame of the West"

What might confuse some is that (in the book) before it was reforged by Elrond's smiths, its name was "Narsil".
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
oh yeah thanks i think it changes name because they reforged it? :confused:
arg510 Wrote:oh yeah thanks i think it changes name because they reforged it? :confused:

There is no reason given by Tolkien for Aragorn renaming the sword but it does occur after the blade is "forged anew".

An interesting little tidbit, both Narsil and Anduril shone with their own light. It would have been nice if Jackson had caught this in the movies.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Yeah it would have been cool . Tolkien doesn't have a reason but i would guess that it would be a new begining so a new name.
Fear my mad l33t skillz!
:warrior:
Actually, the name may be metaphorical. Andunie was the name of the Numenorean fief that Aragorn's family had once ruled. Narsil's original name would mean some thing like "moon fire" or "flaming moon". So, the reforged sword appears to have been named in honor of the Lords of Andunie: "Flame of Andunie" or "Spark of Andunie" or "Light of Andunie".

That is, Tolkien may have intended a double-entendre, since Andunie was the word for "west", and Anduril represented the hope of the free (western) peoples of Middle-earth.

There are a few other names which seem to have specially broad meanings like that.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
I haven't had the opportunity to look into it, but I cannot help wondering if there isn't an etymological connection between "ril" (spark, flame) and "spirit" (I know that "fea" is the word for "spirit"). I don't think so, but if there is any sort of connection then Anduril could also metaphorically represent the "spirit of the (free) West".

I have been out of circulation for a while, so I'm just catching up on last week's discussions.

This one is a bit of a stretch. In English, the metaphorical application has been established. I don't know if Tolkien created a similar one in Elvish.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frodo's broken sword Coconut Ent 2 667 February 19th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Coconut Ent
  The Sword of Elrond Mordomin 32 3,620 August 19th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Mordomin
  The Sword of Glorfindel Mordomin 9 2,243 August 2nd, 2014, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Question: Sword falling GamgeeFest 23 2,161 March 14th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Elenmir
  The Sword of Consumption RobRoy 9 1,209 December 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Last Post: dasher
  The (im)practicality of the Sword that was Broken Silmarien 146 7,709 May 10th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Does anyone here collect the LOTR sword replicas? Eldarion 14 1,579 November 20th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Eonwe
  Has any one seen any pictures of Haldirs sword? Eldarion 0 498 September 30th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Eldarion
  Source for sword plaque/holder? laceyread 10 1,128 June 30th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Last Post: RobRoy