What is the name of your favourite actor or actress?
Joaquin Phoenix
Brad Pitt (who i think is underestimated because he's so pretty)
Johnny Depp
Matt Damon
Orlando Bloom
Elijah Wood
Steve Buscemi
Tim Roth
John Malkovich (who I truly worship)
Edward Furlong
Edward Norton
Lily Taylor
Angelina Jolie
Charlize Theron (quite impresive in Monster)
Christina Ricci
Emma Thompson
Heather Matarazzo (i'm not sure I spelled the last name correctly)
Helena Bonham Carter
Boomstick Wrote:I see what you're saying, but I don't really agree. I think that his recent films have been fine, just passed over by a fickle audience. K-19 was a fantastic film, Hollywood Homocide wasn't memorable, but it was an agreeable way to kill some time. I haven't seen Firewall yet, but I doubt if it's bad.

K-19: The Widowmaker was a flash in the pan of the potential that Ford had. Past tense. Look over his body of work and it is, with few exceptions, action movies, good-man-harried. He's a good actor who, I feel, squandered his potential by sticking with the tried and true. Doesn't make him a bad person, or his body of work any less watchable, just makes it the same ole thing, which is likely why his latest efforts have been so dull and lackluster. We've seen Ford harried, challenged and tracked by bad men while he's trying to do the right thing by friends, family, country, etc.

Mediocrity if born from a lack of choices. Fail spectacularly or succeed dramatically. Keep doing the same old thing, and you'll simply fade away.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I dunno. I mean, why not do what works? It isn't as though he had any indication, until recently, that he should try a different path. It seems like after Air Force One, the viewing public just pulled the rug out from under him.
Boomstick Wrote:I dunno. I mean, why not do what works? It isn't as though he had any indication, until recently, that he should try a different path. It seems like after Air Force One, the viewing public just pulled the rug out from under him.

I guess what it boils down to me is if a person is an actor or a movie star. Stars make money, but they don't do much else. Actors (and success is not indicative one way or the other) attempt to produce a body of work, to push themselves, as other artists do, and create something that overall is worthwhile. Val Kilmer strikes me as this kind of a artist. I've heard all the news about him being a prima dona, and I don't doubt that he is. I would probably not invite him over for a barbeque with the kids. Well, I might invite the kids, since it's not their fault, but you get the idea. His body of work is rather impressive and the characters he attempts to protray are more often vastly different from one to another. Meryl Streep, Catherine Keener, Selma Hyack, Willem DeFoe, Daniel Day Lewis, and Greg Kinnear are all fine examples of this kind of actor. I see Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor as having great potential and, to date, living up to it.

I'm not opposed to anyone making money. In fact, I'm for it, altogether. Tom Cruise, whom I neither like nor dislike, is a movie star. He plays one character, he plays it very well, and typically, I shell out the gilt to see it. I've never really seen any acting potential in Cruise one way or the other. He is what he is and over the years he hasn't changed much.

Ford, on the other hand, had obvious potential as an actor to me. I just think he squandered it.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Well, I do agree with you about Kilmer. He's one of the guys I follow. Spartan shot to the top of my favourites list as soon as I saw it.
Two of my all time favs are Gary Oldman and Kelsey Grammer....the former for his variety of characters and accents (as well as being another ex-pat Brit in the USA ;-)), the latter for his comedic value and the years of watching Frasier. From what I've read in interviews etc, they both seem like the kind of person I could enjoy a good drink with, whereas someone like say George Clooney I respect as an actor, but probably wouldn't get on with on a personal level in a millions years (just IMHO).

Other notables include Hugh Jackman, Mel Gibson, and Bruce Willis in the "could go for a drink with" category.
I note with some dismay that no one has mentioned Arnold Schwarzenegger yet - the undisputed king of the one liner.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Zagor Wrote:I note with some dismay that no one has mentioned Arnold Schwarzenegger yet - the undisputed king of the one liner.

Arnie would probably be the first to agree with you.

I remember reading an article about him. He said that he knows he is not an actor in any sense, but he gets an awful lot of money for doing what he does. He is pretty honest about it. He is not my cup of tea, but he does manage to do a fair action film.

With love.
Lorne.
Ah, which brings up the battle of the 80s actioneers. Arnie or Sly?
I'd have to agree with Johnny Depp and Cate Blanchett, but I also really like Peter Saarsgaard (sp?) and Frances McDormand. Confusedhades:
:dude: Don't stop til you get enough.
Orlando Bloom
James Marsters
David Boreanaz
Seth Green
Jensin Ackles
Johnny Depp
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Amy Acker
Liv Tyler
Cate Blanchett
Alyson Hannigan
Charisma Carpenter
SmileAnd so many moreSmile
:angry:
Spike:You're a...
Angel:Spike!
Spike:Your a bloody puppet!Your a wee little puppet man!
Johnny Depp
Joaquin Phoenix
John Travolta
John Cusack
Kate Winslet
Reese Witherspoon
Orlando Bloom
Kate Bosworth
Jennifer Aniston
Nicole Kidman
Gary Oldman
Edward Norton
Boomstick Wrote:Ah, which brings up the battle of the 80s actioneers. Arnie or Sly?

Given the choices, it would have to be Sly for me.

I quite liked Rambo and Cobra and I will admit to going to the cinema to see the Rocky films. Well.....the first 24 anyway!

With love.
Lorne.
I like Liv Taylor particularly.
Minnie Driver (after all these years) Sigh!
Jodie Foster, all the way.
Actors:Johnny Depp(!), Orlando Bloom, Jim Carrey, Daniel Radcliffe, Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Kenneth Branagh, Euan McGreggor, Mike Myers
Actresses:Keira Knightly, Winona Ryder, Helena Bonham Carter, Nicole Kidman
:lips: I Love Pirates :lips:

:wink: And really bad eggs. Drink up me hearties, yo ho!:wink:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British actor Nicol Williamson ("Excalibur") passes away (Video embedded here) FilmGuy 0 479 January 27th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Actress from "It's a Wonderful Life" did not see film for 30+ years Michael 0 410 December 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Actor Peter Graves dead of heart attack at 83 RobRoy 3 557 March 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Actor Russell Crowe shows his charitable side during filming of Robin Hood in UK Michael 0 452 July 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
  Interview with "Cthulhu" actor Dan Gildark Michael 0 485 October 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
  Profile of "Bond", "Prince of Persia" actress Gemma Arterton Michael 7 5,480 September 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
  Aussie actress Mia Wasikowska confirmed as Alice in Burton's Wonderland Michael 2 376 August 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
  Actor LaBeouf arrested in Chicago for trespassing RobRoy 5 1,056 January 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Jessica Alba named world's sexiest actress Michael 0 428 April 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
  Nicole Kidman - Highest Paid Actress missferal 0 753 December 1st, 2006, 04:52 AM
Last Post: missferal