Mutant Bar Blues - v.2 - Always Open!
Bailey 1729 Wrote:Time for ... Thanksgiving reunion! Yay! (ok I'm a little early but maybe by the time it rolls around a few people might have taken a look). Time for all lurkers to join the reunion and let your presence be known :coffee:.

Yep, it's about that time again! I'll have a busy Thanksgiving, since I'll be moving, but it'll still be nice to have a few days off work.

Right now I'm just takin' it easy, listening to Steppenwolf's The Pusher, after watching a good four hours of soccer. Life is good. :bg:
OK, so who's watching what on tv these days?

For me, the writers strike won't have too much of an effect, since I don't watch a whole lot of new series tv. Although I do like the various late night comics and talk shows.

For me, the main thing I'm watching apart from movies are reruns of the Sopranos on A & E. I catch some of the new Flash Gordon series on Sci-Fi, which is done on a budget of about $1.99 per ep, but is vaguely reminiscent of Charmed (which was done by the same producer.)
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Oh I'm still watching some anime (not all is to my taste) - seems like about the only thing on that is imaginative enough to catch my interest (this is just me of course). I thought Samurai Champloo was exceptionally good for example (the most recent Cartoon Network run ended earlier this year). Unlike some other anime series, that seem to have a never-ending, chaotically changing story line (but to be fair, often consisting of fairly coherent story sequences - arcs that is - sort of loosely linked together), this was basically one story, 26 episodes, with a beginning, middle, and end.

Judging from web sites and forums, there are some real anime fanatics out there. I haven't reached that point yet (for example, while I find in-depth studies of all anachronisms in Samurai Champloo mildly interesting - just enough to browse through a list once say - it's not something I would ever spend any time researching myself). It just seems to be what I end up watching regularly (when something good is currently running).

Other series - recently at least - I seem to lose interest after a few episodes. A random example is House. OK, he's an interesting character. I think I understand what his character is like now; there doesn't seem to be any further development - he seems unchanging - in fact that is a key part of his character. Then there's the diagnostic mysteries components of the stories, but I can never help wondering whether the patients wouldn't actually have a better survival rate if they would just go home, take two aspirin, and go to bed.
august Wrote:OK, so who's watching what on tv these days?

Other than sports, not much. Mostly I'll watch reruns of Miami Vice or Magnum P.I., or other old shows.

I'm actually going to watch that Battlestar Galatica: Razor, cause it's got Michelle Forbes. I checked on IMDb, and I see that she guest starred on a few episodes of the BSG earlier. So I'll have to watch those, but I'm hoping I won't be completely lost, because I don't want to watch the whole series just to be able to understand what's going on in a few episodes. Who knows, maybe I'll get past the cinematography elements that make me seasick and actually give the show a chance.
I think you should have no problem whatsoever in following this, since it pretty much takes place at the very beginning, when the regular series started, i.e. the day the Cylons attacked. The adventures of a different ship during the time of the movie and the first season and a half. Much like the famous "Other 48 Days" ep of "Lost" where we discovered a 2nd group of crash survivors, and saw the timeline of season 1 compressed into one episode.

They toned down that jerky handheld camera thing in season 3 BTW.

Be ready though - it's been 15 long years since Michelle Forbes was a young and delicious ensign.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:They toned down that jerky handheld camera thing in season 3 BTW.
Ah, interesting. Quite honestly, I'll probably give it all another chance at some point on down the line. And I'll probably like it, but I won't admit it to anyone. :bg:

Quote:Be ready though - it's been 15 long years since Michelle Forbes was a young and delicious ensign.
Yeah, I saw her on some of the ads, she certainly looks like she's aged, but she still looks pretty good. Beyond simple fanboy lust I do enjoy her acting as well.
Hey Bailey - you do know Sci-Fi is now running anime every Monday, at 11 PM, after Enterprise reruns, right?

And if you like House, or the actor anyway, have you ever seen any of his old comedic work in the UK? He did several of the Blackadder features with a pre-Mr. Bean Rowan Atkinson, and a whole series of Jeeves and Wooster (with him as Bertie Wooster.) And he did one of my fave films ever, "Peter's Friends," with all of his old college buddies, Stephen Fry (who played Jeeves) Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge, Vera Drake) Emma Thompson and her then-hubby, Kenneth Branagh.
Well this is Monday ... SF channel has Virus Buster Serge on at 11 ... never heard of it ... based on a video game? ... ohhh kayyy ... I'll take a look I guess :laugh:.

Uh, I was sort of saying that although House is a fascinating character, I felt like I pretty much got it after a few episodes, and lost interest ...

I've gone through several British comedy phases over the years (and British low budget science fiction TV is the best - no exceptions that I can think of), always (as far as I can remember) on various PBS stations ... often a bit frustrating, just about the time I would figure out the day and time my current favorite show was on, it would change ... anyway I've seen a very random selection of the various Blackadders (there are four, right? each a few generations later? the most recent the WWI version?), but don't remember Hugh Laurie - which doesn't mean a lot, since it's been years.

Mr. Bean - definitely on my top ten list of favorite comedies (I've never made a list, but if I did, I'm sure it would be there - or maybe top twenty? hard to say, would have to start making the list!). I enjoyed the movie as well (although it was - I think - a slightly different Mr. Bean - quite shocking to hear him give the speech!). Favorite scene from the movie: the drunken walking down the street Yesterday singing. Favorite episode from the series? Hard to say, but the one where he goes to the dentist comes to mind Smile.
Attention please ...This thread had now reached its maximum capacity (being 500) all such chit chat threads throughout Sf-Fandom are capped at 500 for ease of database archival purposes.
So dear patrons this bar is now closed for renovations.

Please by all means start another Mutant Bar thread and continue on.

{the new thread is here.} :bg:

Thank you
Stripe
[SIZE="2"]The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams[/SIZE]

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mutant Bar Blues 3.0 - The New Breed august 275 36,018 January 5th, 2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The Grudge 2 (3rd Ghost House film in a row to open at #1) on F/X 10/26 + 10/27 august 23 3,700 April 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: august
  origin for the "mutant bar blues" scene on VH1, Sat. 8/8 @ 4 and 11 PM august 7 1,728 August 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
  Treehouse/Lounge/Drunken Pig Tavern now open! Sparkle 380 22,120 March 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM
  Cleopets...I mean neopets guild is open!! Antha 9 1,717 April 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Antha
  Cleo 2525 and Mutant X on DVD.... CorXena 8 1,071 April 26th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Last Post: CorXena
  Mutant Bar Blues - Now Open ! Darkamber 495 19,112 March 14th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Stripe