Charlie and the choclate factory
I loved this movie, even though burton is one of my favourites, i was a little skeptical when i saw the trailers >_< i am sorry for my doubts it was great, and the first flick was one of my childhood favourites, O.O I loved it , I'm just back from the movie-theatre and i'm speechless
Zagor Wrote:I don't know about that, but he does look very creepy.

In fact I read on a movie magazine that he was inspired in Marilyn Manson to play the character.

I liked the movie.
":boar: And in my last hour I'm a slave to the power of death"
spoiler spoiler flick past quickly if you havent seen the new charlie and the chocolate factory!!

the new catcf is alot more acurate to the story from the original book compared to the original ,this time they included more parts inc.. the squirals ,and taking out the geese that lay golden eggs and he added bon the part at the end where he didnt let the family stay.

on the second do you think that they will create the follow on movie as they did create the follow on book (the great glass elvator)?
When I'm home alone I just dance by myself, and you pull my head so close, volume goes with the truth.
Signing off, I'm alright in bed but I'm better with the pen. The kid was alright but it went to his head
darrenshan#1 Wrote:on the second do you think that they will create the follow on movie as they did create the follow on book (the great glass elvator)?

As I recall the ending of the books (recalling that it's been about twenty years since I last read them), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ended with Willy, Charlie and his grandfather getting in the Great Glass Elevator and heading over to his family's house to pick them up. The begining of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator starts with the other grandparents refusing to leave their bed, and then the plot thickens.

Since Burton has changed the ending, it would take a little finesse to bring it back in line with the Dahl book. <shrug>

Burton isn't exactly known for making sequels, but since Factory seems to have done rather well, the studios might push for a second, even if Burton doesn't helm.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I really enjoyed the movie...had a definite "old school" Burton feel to it and Johnny Depp was great (another example that trailers can be very misleading)
However...was there anyone else who thought that the character of Augustus was CG?I know that there is a child actor listed as playing him and all that but he did not look real to me and in group shots in the movie he is always in the background. My son thinks that
I'm insane...well, yeah, but that kid still looks surreal.
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
I got a little bored during all the oompa loompa disco numbers. I kept waiting for young Willie to take the horible headset off after he ran away.
I find the movie visually entralling, Johnny Depp memerising, and David Kelly very cute. Smile On the other hand, just going through rooms and rooms of weird candy just doesn't make for an engaging plot line. Because, while the film is definitely eye candy (in every sense of the word), it doesn't seem to have much happening. Pity about Charlie and the other children; I think that they should have more... presence. Instead, Johnny Depp dominates the entire film (not that I'm complaining. He's very, very good, funny and quirky and cute and weird and creepy all packed into one).

I agree with RobRoy that it's not all that compelling and "I-must-see-this-it's-great". But it was worth it just to see how Johnny Depp play Willy Wonka.

On the other hand, my friend was completely fascinated by the show. So I'm sure it appeals to others as well. Smile

Crys
Even the sun goes down.

Guy Gavriel Kay, from "Lions of Al-Rassan"
(soon to be made into a movie)
and i found it weird, although i find it wicked and also i hate it...
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
This is a thread especially for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton's). Seeing as though it has my favourite actor of all time in it (Johnny Depp!) it is one of my favourite films! What does everyone else think?
:lips: I Love Pirates :lips:

:wink: And really bad eggs. Drink up me hearties, yo ho!:wink:
I enjoyed the movie, although it was a bit different from what I expected or hoped for. My images of the story were formed by "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", starring Gene Wilder. Nonetheless, I think that "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" stands up very well by comparison. Johnny Depp was a great choice to play Willy Wonka, and he took the character in a different direction from Wilder's interpretation. That was the right thing to do. Otherwise, both the movie and the character would have stood in their predecessors' shadows.

Charlie's character survived the transition better than the other kids, in my opinion. I think the tendency in the film industry, when remaking old movies, is to update stereotypes. Charlie is the only unstereotyped child in the ensemble. So the other four children traded out one cardboard image for another. I don't know how the kids are portrayed in the original book, though.

I once asked Steve Sears, a producer for the television show Xena: Warrior Princess, how he thought X:WP might appear if it were resurrected in 20 years. He couldn't answer the question because shows and movies have to be relevant to their current audience in order to succeed. Our values and ideals change over time, so characterizations and plot movements that worked in Gene Wilder's movie wouldn't work in Johnny Depp's movie.

I liked the sets in the new movie. They were fantastic. The chocolate factory itself is a character in the story and the updating didn't hurt it in the least. It's still magical, grandiose in a grandeuristic way, and overwhelming. The chocolate factory is a world unto itself, a touch of Faery in the heart of mundane old England.
Duplicate thread merged.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Michael Wrote:Charlie's character survived the transition better than the other kids, in my opinion. I think the tendency in the film industry, when remaking old movies, is to update stereotypes. Charlie is the only unstereotyped child in the ensemble.

You mean asside from being a poor-child with a heart of gold who wins through and ends up rich beyond his wildest dreams?

Quote:So the other four children traded out one cardboard image for another. I don't know how the kids are portrayed in the original book, though.

They are actually portrayed almost exactly as they were in the book. Yes, cardboard, but they were meant to convey a sense of a darkness that Dahl was attempting.

Quote:I liked the sets in the new movie. They were fantastic. The chocolate factory itself is a character in the story and the updating didn't hurt it in the least. It's still magical, grandiose in a grandeuristic way, and overwhelming. The chocolate factory is a world unto itself, a touch of Faery in the heart of mundane old England.

Agreed. It's every kids' dream where almost everything is edible, and there are magic Keebler elves who go through extremes to make the candies and cakes.

Charlie had a little more depth than just being a lucky kid with a heart of gold. He was struggling to remain a kid while having to take on some of the responsibilities of an adult.
Michael Wrote:Charlie had a little more depth than just being a lucky kid with a heart of gold. He was struggling to remain a kid while having to take on some of the responsibilities of an adult.

Sorry. I should have said "poor-child with a heart of gold who wins through and ends up rich beyond his wildest dreams" in a coming of age movie.

'Fraid I'm just seeing a pile of cliches on the character.

The actor is a different story. The character though, book, film and film, is pretty much the same.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Watch these Coca-Cola Happiness Factory Videos FilmGuy 1 924 September 12th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: New Coca-Cola Happiness Factory movie Michael 0 606 September 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
  Dean Kish reviews Charlie's Angels and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas Michael 3 509 June 30th, 2003, 01:18 AM