Why is Alfonso Cauron not directing Harry Potter 4?
Why is Alfonso Cauron not directing Harry Potter 4?

He said that Harry Potter 4 is impossible to do!
Why did he said impossible if Mike Newell is creating it!

I am so confused!
Harry Potter 3 is they first great movie in the Harry Potter Saga!
That is my opinion but others doesn't seem to agree with me.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It seems Harry Potter 4 is going to FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can imagine that it would be pretty hard. With the last three movies, the books were only about 300 pages long, and parts of the story still had to be cut out to make the movies a reasonable length. Goblet of Fire is over twice that long, so I just don't see how it's going to be done, and still have a decent plot.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln
I don't know if it's true but I heard that he was offered the chance to direct it but he would have to start so soon he would have to cut down on the time he spent on HP3, just what I heard once.
gaudior24601 Wrote:I can imagine that it would be pretty hard. With the last three movies, the books were only about 300 pages long, and parts of the story still had to be cut out to make the movies a reasonable length. Goblet of Fire is over twice that long, so I just don't see how it's going to be done, and still have a decent plot.
Well, one always must make changes in adapting a book to screen (See Also, Jackson, Peter; Lord of the Rings). If the far more densely plotted LOTR books can be adapted, then GOF shouldn't face insurmountible difficulties.
Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

I don't have any humble opinions.
I liked the job Cuaron did (much better than Columbus), and would have liked to see what he could do with Goblet.

One benefit of changing directors is that it's easier to do pre-production on Goblet while filming /doing post-production work on Azkaban. And that saved time becomes important to prevent the movies from becoming Daniel Radcliffe and the Race Against Puberty.
i liked the way cuaron did it but i liked chris's location better it fit better with the story
"Shiggidy Shiggidy Shwah, Life sucks so don't be fooled by location changes."
To be honest, I did not care for Cuaron's direction of Azkaban at all. So I was a bit relieved to hear someone else would be directing. Also from what I understand, pre-production for Goblet of Fire was to begin before Azkaban was finished so it would have been difficult for him to do both.
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
Neither did I. The shrunken heads were a bit much.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln
There is no curse in any language known to anyone great enough to express my greivances against Alfonso (if you don't know who he is, he's the guy who managed to completely bungle the 3rd movie) for his atrocities against JKR and Harry Potter fans across the world.

P.S.- If that's not enough, he's French. Imagine that, the French giving up!
"Yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all, my dear man."
I liked the third movie, and I thought Cuaron did a good job with it. There are certain aspects about the first two movies which I missed (including Dumbledore's pointy hats) but the whole line of books becomes darker as the story progresses, so the changes he introduced fit well enough for me.

Besides which, did he have a choice in location, or was the production asked to move for any reason?
Geofinator Wrote:There is no curse in any language known to anyone great enough to express my greivances against Alfonso (if you don't know who he is, he's the guy who managed to completely bungle the 3rd movie) for his atrocities against JKR and Harry Potter fans across the world.

Rowling works with the directors. I liked the third one best.
I AM A JEDI AND MY NAME IS QUINLAN VOS

-Vos; Republic #77

Vos lives!!!!!!!!!
i didnt much care for any of the 3 movies, i think all the movies could be done as long as the movie doesnt dwell on pointless fun.. like in book 3 the ride on the night bus was quite longer than it needed to be.. i think that book 4 could work, so long as they stick completely to the plot, and avoid usless stuff.. i havent read the book in quite a while, so there are many jumbled thoughts with it.. neway i guess we'll see in november.. book 5 will be tough
Geofinator Wrote:There is no curse in any language known to anyone great enough to express my greivances against Alfonso (if you don't know who he is, he's the guy who managed to completely bungle the 3rd movie) for his atrocities against JKR and Harry Potter fans across the world.

Maybe there is a curse in the french language that would work for you.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended, that you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear... So good night unto you all, give me your hands, if we be friends, and robin shall restore amends.
Geofinator Wrote:P.S.- If that's not enough, he's French. Imagine that, the French giving up!
Well actually, he was born in Mexico City, Mexico. However, his racial background has nothing to do with what was, in my opinion, an atrocious depiction of the 3rd book.
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner
Amazing how peoples tastes differ! I really liked the third film. Much better than the first two in terms of a movie, but not necessarily in following as closely to the source material.

There were some issues that I had with it, some exposition that was missed out that would add more to the experience for someone who has not read the book, but for those of us who know the bigger picture, it was not really an issue.

CJ - just out of interest, how did it compare to the first two films for you? Are you not a fan of the movies in general or this one in particular?
First off, this was my favorite of the books so I was definitely a lot more critical of the movie.

Visually, I thought this movie was much better than the first two. The scenery was better and the CGI for Buckbeak was much better than the previous CGI (Dobby, for instance, was pretty awful :laugh: ). Although I will say that the werewolf in PoA was pretty darn bad too.

I've just recently rewatched all the DVD's with my kids so they're all fairly fresh in my mind. I felt the first two movies captured the spirit of the books much better.

PoA, on the other hand, poorly reflected the information that needed to be given out to make sense when one has not read the books. The most glaring that comes to mind is, how did Lupin know the blank parchment was a map and how to use it? If you had not read the book, you wouldn't know he was Mooney.

And finally, Sirius Black was my favorite character and I was just horrified and appalled they had cast Gary Oldman (probably my least favorite actor EVER) as Sirius. Oldman has always done an excellent job playing a psycho, so he did ok as 'insane' Sirius. However, the transition to innocent and kind Sirius totally did not work for me in any way whatsoever. David Thewlis (I think that was his name) also did not really portray Remus Lupin as he should have been.

So that's my main reasons. Cuaron did an excellent job visually, but the screenplay sucked as did the casting (neither of which was probably his fault).
Thanks for the reply CJ

I suppose having such a pivotal role played by an actor you really don't like is going to sour things somewhat!

I quite liked Oldman as Sirius, but I agree he was certainly a bit too manic at times. I must disagree about Lupin though. Although he wasn't exactly what I expected of the character from the book I really liked the movie Lupin and especially the way his relationship with Harry was portrayed.

The film was visually the best of the three so far. I thought the dementors were done very well and the whole thing came across with much more life and vibrancy than the first two efforts which I tend to think of as film making by numbers to a certain extent. Sure, as far as translating the books is concerned, most of the boxes got ticked, but as a movie going experience they were simply not as emotionally engaging as the third film.

As I said in my previous post, my only real problem was the omission of certain plot points and exposition. The explanation about the map could, for example, been handled really easily with just a couple of lines of extra dialogue, and it is a shame it was missed out. But of the three films so far, this is definitely the one I like to watch.
Jammin Wrote:The film was visually the best of the three so far. I thought the dementors were done very well and the whole thing came across with much more life and vibrancy than the first two efforts which I tend to think of as film making by numbers to a certain extent. Sure, as far as translating the books is concerned, most of the boxes got ticked, but as a movie going experience they were simply not as emotionally engaging as the third film.

I tend to agree with you on the most part, especially about the look and feel of PoA and the choice of Oldman in the role of Sirius (Oldman is more known for his impressive resume of psychos, but he's also played passionate and warm characters in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead, Heading Home, Immortal Beloved and even, to some extent, Bram Stoker's Dracula).

However, having also just recently re-watched the movies again, I found The Sorcerer's Stone to be the best for me. The sheer wonder and the fumbling, skinned-knees kind of experience that the three main characters just puts a big ole smile on my face. Seeing Harry stumble into a world where he's regarded as one of the most famous people ever, with Ron as his off-handed guide (on chocolate frogs: "That's rotten luck. They've only got one good jump in them to begin with.") and then Hermione, who quickly and easily bridges the gap between the two worlds.

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, and seeing the wonder on all their young faces, but while I prefer Goblet of Fire as a book, I really enjoy Sorcerer's Stone as a movie.

And I do tend to agree with you, CJ, on Prisoner of Azkaban. I did find it interesting, however, that Cuaron worked with Rowling and had her approve all the changes to the script and whatnot, and even had her add stuff back in that she felt was important. But for her to miss the connection in regards to the map . . . perhaps she thought it would come out and be obvious from the confrontation with Petigrew? I dunno. But the connection, at least for me, was certainly missed, and I would have liked to have seen just a tick more explanation of how Sirius, Lupin, James and Peter were all wrapped up together. This makes Peter's betrayal that much more poignant.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
The were somet hings i didn't like about POA though. They messed around with the scenery waay too much..like change the whomping willow completely why don't you? Hagrids hut is a mountain away...just stick to what you started. I disagree one the characters of Sirius and Lupin. Sirius was ok but i thought he was supposed to be good looking..like dazzling. I was thinking more "aragorn" type. With Lupin...Urgh! Ew is all i can say. I agree with RobRoy...the first one definately was the best. Third being the Worst. The films just keep getting away from the books!
Jammin Wrote:Thanks for the reply CJ

I suppose having such a pivotal role played by an actor you really don't like is going to sour things somewhat!
It soured it a LOT for me :bounce:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 648 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 388 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Michael
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 300 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 934 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 467 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
  The Hillywood Show Harry Potter parody (video) Michael 4 723 September 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM
  Universal Studios Harry Potter badlands 1 387 September 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Harry Potter wedding badlands 2 439 August 29th, 2018, 09:54 AM
  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Irene 5 906 April 18th, 2018, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter presequel news badlands 7 1,144 December 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM