Space Police
I can't believe this publisher has the rights to re-print this book. Found this through bookfinder.

Tom

Space Police
Publisher: Book-On-Demand Reprint from edition originally published: Cleveland World Pub. Co. [1956].; BRAND NEW SOFTCOVER - Print-to-order B&W REPRINT of original book published: Cleveland World Pub. Co. [1956]. 255 Pages Reprinted from microfilm of original text on acid-free archival quality paper
I don't know either.
However, Andre's agent, and the current holder of the copy rights both read these pages.
I'll try to reach them tonight by private email.

Thanks for this information. Is the name of the Publisher: "Book-On-Demand" ? Is there an address or phone number?
Irene
http://www.astrologos.org/
AstroLogos Books
Just out of curiosity, I checked out this item, and they offer reprints from master or microfilm copies. They are charging $95.00 for this book. This seems extremely high to me, since, from their website:

Quote:As these are designed as reading copies for academic research, whilst we gurantee that the text will be substantially legible we are unable to accept returns on other grounds. Althought they are elegantly bound these should not be considered as 'rare or collectible' copies.

If they don't consider them 'rare' or 'collectible', why are they charging so much for basically a photo reprint. For a book like this, you wouldn't pay more than $20-30 new, and that's from a 'real' printing process!

Can anyone think of a reason ( technical issues-xerographic process?, copyright costs, etc.) that would require them to charge this much?

P.
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
Paul B. Wrote:Just out of curiosity, I checked out this item, and they offer reprints from master or microfilm copies. They are charging $95.00 for this book. This seems extremely high to me, since, from their website:

[...]

If they don't consider them 'rare' or 'collectible', why are they charging so much for basically a photo reprint. For a book like this, you wouldn't pay more than $20-30 new, and that's from a 'real' printing process!

Can anyone think of a reason ( technical issues-xerographic process?, copyright costs, etc.) that would require them to charge this much?

Paul,

Is the book available from other sources, even eBay? If not, they're pretty much allowed to charge whatever they want. Actually even if it -is- available they can charge what they want - they just may not sell any.

Dave
I just checked ABEBOOKS.com and found 7 copies ranging from $300-500
Other book search sites may have cheaper copies.

BTW, Space Service also has 7 copies ranging from $5-150 on this site

I don't remember how many pages either book has but at .07/page one could probably borrow a copy and photocopy 2 pages at a time at Kinkos or Office Depot if all you want to do is have a reading copy and come out considerably cheaper than $95. Later Kind Folks--Paul Rolleyes
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sargasso Of Space Discussion Jerrie 0 475 March 9th, 2018, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Space Opera! Jerrie 1 445 May 25th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Andre reading club: Sargasso of space Paul Goode 0 590 January 30th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  Space Pioneers jimqwerty 2 1,138 March 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Last Post: jimqwerty
  Space Police tmon 1 1,157 January 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  Bullard of the Space Patrol Paul Goode 4 1,997 December 31st, 2005, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Space Sevice tmon 1 1,065 July 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Irene