London Olympics 2012
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4657513.stm

Will London be able to handle the Olympics in 2012?
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
Greece handled it, and they didn't have near the economy that England has.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Thats true bu is it winter or summer games? Winter seemed a bit unlikely.
Fear my mad l33t skillz!
:warrior:
Summer games. Not much downhill skiing going on in the East End! :bg:

I'm really pleased about the Olympics. It'll be great for the countrybut we do need to make sure we do it like Sydney (ie on time and on budget) rather than Greece!
:bg: If it's anything like the Commonwealth games in Manchester it'll be great.
There's strangely been alot of negativity from people asking the very question of whether the UK can handle it or not. One of the radio stations yesterday were taking calls on people opinions and ended up asking anyone who was pleased about the win to phone in because there were so many people calling with negative comments.
I for one am really pleased that we won the bid. We have a few years to prepare and the pictures of the proposed site are fantastic. I'm sure we can pull it off. It's only a shame we can't celebrate as we would have hoped for in the light of todays attacks.
Yeah those attacks really ruined the mood. But The Olympics are still going to be better than ever!
As painfully learned with the Athens Games of 2004, small countries are just not able to handle the bloated Olympic Games. I predict the Games will only go to major countries from now on, such as England, France, the USA ...

Unfortunatly, smaller nations like Greece cannot handle the costs and demands that the Olympic Games bring. Among other things, Greece had to build a baseball/softball stadium and a white water rafting course that will likely never be used again. Many of the finalist cities for the 2012 Games had many of the facilities already built. Let us not forget that Montreal is still paying off debt on the 1976 Games.

IMO, London or Paris would have been good picks for the 2012 Games. I think NY will get the 2016 or 2020 Games if they want them. They just weren't prepared this time around. It usually takes a city, especially a first time city, a couple tries to get them.
the bomb blasts didnt help though, greece cut it pretty fine but we'll be fine, they're holding the cycling (on roads) near where im sitting now!
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
[QUOTE=SpringfieldST]As painfully learned with the Athens Games of 2004, small countries are just not able to handle the bloated Olympic Games. I predict the Games will only go to major countries from now on, such as England, France, the USA ...
[QUOTE]

Or how about groups of countries, as has already been done with football cups (such as the World cup being shared by Janpan and Korea not so long ago, or the upcoming Euro cup being shared by Austria and Switzerland?). This has the advnatage of sharing costs and benefits and improves international cooperation?

In future, I would like to see the olypics being hosted in a poorer country. They may not have the big money to put into infrastructure, but labour is also cheaper so it should be easier to finance - and they need the extra tourism more urgently than rich countries do. Maybe for a very poor country this wouldn't work, but for a country which is already in transition such as India, China or Indonesia this could be a real bonus. How about making a rule that all continents should host the olympics in a cycle.
shadowfax Wrote:Or how about groups of countries, as has already been done with football cups (such as the World cup being shared by Janpan and Korea not so long ago, or the upcoming Euro cup being shared by Austria and Switzerland?). This has the advnatage of sharing costs and benefits and improves international cooperation?

In future, I would like to see the olypics being hosted in a poorer country. They may not have the big money to put into infrastructure, but labour is also cheaper so it should be easier to finance - and they need the extra tourism more urgently than rich countries do. Maybe for a very poor country this wouldn't work, but for a country which is already in transition such as India, China or Indonesia this could be a real bonus. How about making a rule that all continents should host the olympics in a cycle.

I think the only way smaller countries would be able to host the Olympics in the future would be through a multi-national bid. And some European nations have put multi-national bids together for the Winter Games. Leipzig, Germany, put in a bid for the 2012 Games based on a smaller, more economical Games. Their bid was eliminated in the early stages of balloting.

While it is a nice sentiment to want all nations to get an equal chance to host the Games, it just isn't a reality in the modern Olympic Movement. Today's Olympics are as much about corporate sponsors and television ratings as they are about the glory of winning an medal.

Over the years, especially recently, the Olympics have strayed further and further from Pierre de Coubertin's vision when he relaunched the modern Olympics in 1896. The most obvious example being the basketball portion of the Games allowing professionals to play beginning in 1992.

Hosting the Olympics takes a multi-billion dollar investment. If a country is going to invite 15,000 athletes, thousands of coaches and media personel and hundreds of thousands of fans, it will take modern infrastructures, modern transportation systems and state of the art security forces. The majority of nations, even acting as a conglomorate, cannot provide these services.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Northrop-Grumman LEMV Airship takes off in 2012 FilmGuy 0 436 March 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  London honors 1st man in space, Yuri Gagarin Michael 0 575 July 16th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  L.A. Times reports scientists buzzed by 2012 hysteria Michael 2 748 October 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Michael
  2006 Olympics john66mustang 7 611 March 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Captiang
  Bomb blasts in London davedapunk 48 2,576 July 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44
  The Olympics - Athens 2004! Kwik silver 44 3 346 July 30th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44
  London Uk 9-11 January Star Trek Con Info Here daleglen2003 0 336 December 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Last Post: daleglen2003
  from 9-18 to 9-26 I will be in Paris, going to Koln and London-anyone live close? Fynswyn 4 440 August 12th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Fynswyn
  scifi of Jack London & Ambrose Bierce 0 62 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: