Where the Ewoks really the "Stupid" part of ROTJ?
I just re-watched ROTJ, and I have to say, people's comparison of characters like Jar Jar to the Ewoks is largely unwarranted, in fact, the Ewoks are not the "stupid" part of the movie at all!

First off, I think massive over exposure to furry toys and the Disneyesque "Ewok Adventure" plus an insipid cartoon colored the veiw of anyone who lived through the eighties. seting all those things aside, let's look solely at Lucas's movie creations.

1. Wicket W. Warrick. This character is the Ewoks greatest weakness. He is an obvious play to Warrick Davis and other children. Let's compare Wicket to the other Ewoks. Only Wicket has the costomary light colored Cheeks and Belly often associaed with Teddy bears. Only Wicket appears to be covered with fake "Teddy Bear" material, the other Ewok's coats look more like a real bear hide and are in colors more commonly found on animals, stripes, irregular spots, camoflaging colors. Even though Wicket is a child, only he and Paploo (Who steals the speeder bike) appear with greatly oversized eyes among the closely seen ewoks. Chirpa, Logray, and Teebo have smaller heads and eyes.

2. Ewok actions. The Ewoks behave in the movie just like a primitive tribe, or a band of apes, might behave when presented with technology that they do not understand. They worship it, they act skiddish and jumpy, and they talk a lot. They look to spiritual (Logray) and government (Chirpa) leaders to explain it.

3. The movie plot. From the beginning, Lucas invisioned a primitive people to rise up and be instrumental in the Empires downfall. The stone age Ewoks fulfill this role perfectly. They would not be nearly so impressive had they had technology (like Jawas) and if they were big, they would've inevitably been called Chewbacca clones. Hence the reason for the small size. I do fill Lucas's vision of a primative army was most fully realized in the Gungans (not Jar Jar) and Wookies in the prequils, who fight with a less sophisticated level of technology, instead of no technology.

4. The scene where Teebo is chased by R2 and shocked, where he jumps in the air, is over done.

Now, lets look at the Ewoks compared to some of the goings on a Jabbas place. You had a frog creature and the Salac which burped. Bobba Fett, the bounty hunter with nerves of steel, screams like a cartoon character when his jetpack misfires, as do other characters thrown into the Salac pit. You have a droid "torture shop" whose primary feature is a power droid, a model without a vocabulator, screaming "no no no" as hot irons are applied to its feet, since that is supposed to motivate a walking battery. Not to mention the irons never touch its feet, and steam shoots out of painfully obvious holes on his feet, like a cheap amusment park ride (cue small small world music). Comparitively, the Ewoks are very well done. Sure, they do some stupid things, and the morphing from short Wookie to teddy bear was an obvious play to children and toy makers, but there are far far stupider parts of the movie.
Lord Vader, do you use drugs?

Depressants,...most depressants.Cool
Excellent points. I think some of the reason why they're despised is exactly what you have stated. The cuteness of Wicket and the cuteness childish appeal of them in marketing. You are correct in that they were a primative civilization that served Lucas' purpose of helping bring down the Empire
I can imagine quite a bit.
mybookiethewookie Wrote:I just re-watched ROTJ, and I have to say, people's comparison of characters like Jar Jar to the Ewoks is largely unwarranted, in fact, the Ewoks are not the "stupid" part of the movie at all!

First off, I think massive over exposure to furry toys and the Disneyesque "Ewok Adventure" plus an insipid cartoon colored the veiw of anyone who lived through the eighties. seting all those things aside, let's look solely at Lucas's movie creations. Comparitively, the Ewoks are very well done. Sure, they do some stupid things, and the morphing from short Wookie to teddy bear was an obvious play to children and toy makers, but there are far far stupider parts of the movie.

I agree with Han, Your points are well made. But the problem is not necessarily that the Ewoks were personally hated. It was more of a let down than a specific " I hate ROTJ because of the Ewoks." especially for the older fans. Having watched Star Wars before it was known as ANH, back in 1977. Then waiting for ESB 3 years later which had a more mature, darker theme, with an open/episodic ending, were you have to wait until the final episode is made. Another 3 years pass and now it is 1983 the release of ROTJ, those who have been fans are now 6 years older. It may not seem like much, but teenagers will tell you, and everyone is aware, there is a big difference between what a 12 year old will like and 18 year old will like. The rescue of Han from Jabba's Palace, even with the inane burps and jokes was passable, but once it gets to the Ewoks, the film goes overboard with the cuteness factor. At least the intercut scenes with Luke and Vader keep the film on a somewhat mature level.

:dude:
Cool "It's a trick, get an axe." Ash-Army of Darkness (1993)

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ewoks worshipping C-3PO ? badlands 2 687 July 2nd, 2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: august
  Video: Star Wars fan film, "Force Unleashed, Part 1 of 3" FilmGuy 0 702 January 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Time between ESB and ROTJ Edpayasugo 9 3,077 June 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Han Solo
  The Best Part. Playwithfire101 8 842 December 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Last Post: jedielfsorcerer
  Rotj Dvd!! skywalker_rock 19 1,008 May 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Last Post: bluephoenix
  Saw ROTJ yesterday on TV... SaberBoy 11 957 May 11th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Last Post: sith lord
  Lukes ROTJ Plan definitiveprankster 3 599 April 25th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  ROTJ Ending Han Solo 27 1,628 December 8th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Phoenix21
  Hans rescue ROTJ Xim 23 1,112 October 7th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Bern
  Wat the prequels shld REALLY be!!Part 3 zulgarianorc 7 590 September 29th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Han Solo