Stuff I don't get (spoilers)
OK, I haven't read through all the threads here, but I have a question in particular. Leia was always "Princess Leia," but she is the adopted daughter of a senator. Does she know her mother was really a queen? And wasn't she no longer a queen when she had Luke & Leia and therefore Leia isn't a princess at all? Am I making any sense?

And while we're at it, why do they never show young actresses what childbirth looks like so they can do a better job of portraying it? Or is it just that directors are usually men and they just tell them to scream a lot? How are you supposed to push out a baby while screaming? Maybe this belongs in another thread, along with "why do they never show actors how to perform CPR?"

And speaking of the childbirth thing, sorry - I don't buy that she dies because she loses her will to live. Terribly contrived. She just had two babies and she seems pretty happy about them, eh? I guess that's a third thread.
1. I'm guessing the Senator and his wife were king and queen of Aalderan maybe?

2. I wasn't really focusing on how realistic the childbirth was, more on the dialouge.

3. Yes, I thought it was contrived too, in the books it was actually that Anakin injured her so badly by crushing her windpipe that she couldn't survive. I don't see why it wasn't just kept that way.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln
Quote:OK, I haven't read through all the threads here, but I have a question in particular. Leia was always "Princess Leia," but she is the adopted daughter of a senator. Does she know her mother was really a queen? And wasn't she no longer a queen when she had Luke & Leia and therefore Leia isn't a princess at all? Am I making any sense?

Alderran is an elected monarchy, similar to that of Naboo. Their 'king' is also their Senator. His wife is the Queen...so their adopted child becomes Princess. Also on that, when Padme gave birth to them, she was Senator instead of queen. And even if she were still queen, it wouldn't matter. Royalty is given by election for up to two terms four years in Nubian society (and you have to be female)--it's not granted by birth.

Quote:And while we're at it, why do they never show young actresses what childbirth looks like so they can do a better job of portraying it? Or is it just that directors are usually men and they just tell them to scream a lot? How are you supposed to push out a baby while screaming? Maybe this belongs in another thread, along with "why do they never show actors how to perform CPR?"

Sorry, can't answer that one. It's not in my mental Star Wars database.

Quote:And speaking of the childbirth thing, sorry - I don't buy that she dies because she loses her will to live. Terribly contrived. She just had two babies and she seems pretty happy about them, eh? I guess that's a third thread.

It's a bigger metaphor than you would realize. She has lost her will to live because Anakin has done all of these terrible things for her, and she can't bear the burden of the fate of the universe. On an even deeper level, it's irony: the Dark Side never returns it's promise, and what Anakin was supposed to gain from joining Sidious, he actually ended up reversing, and being the original cause, if you understand that sort of thing.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michael's Review of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" (No spoilers) Michael 7 897 December 29th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mrt77
  Star Wars: In Concert news and stuff Michael 0 714 July 31st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Michael
  REVIEWS - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (spoilers) Han Solo 132 18,948 January 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Anakin's Motives... (spoilers) Gwaihir the Windlord 25 2,673 February 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Gundar Jin
  Anakin's Balancing of the Force ** Spoilers ** (What is it?) BlueDelvia 55 4,770 August 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Darth Meela
  Implications (Episode III spoilers!!) mysticalweather 5 816 July 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
Last Post: mysticalweather
  *** PLEASE Be Courteous *** Use of Spoilers RobRoy 1 604 June 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Last Post: darth sideus
  Best Death (possible spoilers for ROTS) sith lord 9 842 June 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Kingangus
  Sidious' lightsaber form (may contain spoilers) vaderhater 15 5,034 May 31st, 2005, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Darth Penguin
  Palpatine and Anakin's Faces (spoilers) gaudior24601 18 1,866 May 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Last Post: gaudior24601